The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

+1. Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

+1 thanks

User Info Menu

New one to me. Thanks!

User Info Menu

.... " and then the dreaded horns started appearing in Wes' albums and left death and destruction in their wake - - -"....

Without the great CTI producer Creed Taylor and the great arranger Claus Ogerman, there'd be no Tequila album, or Bumpin on Sunset. And with later arranger Don Sebesky's joint expertise with Creed Taylor there would be no likely exposure of Wes to the masses. And no exposure of Wes to the music world en mass would be a shame.

The backlash against Wes for releasing the CTI albums, or any musician for that matter, while trying to make a living to support his family is head scratching to me. Thank goodness Wes released those albums, for as fate would have it he'd pass away in only a few years after recording for CTI. I hope at least Wes' family was taken care of as a result of the CTI venture.

User Info Menu

Completely agree! and so does Pat ......

"One of my pet peeves is that people say Wes sold out, but his later records are some of my favorites. The one I recommend most highly is Smokin' At The Half Note [Verve]. I can sing every note played by Wes, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb. "If You Could See Me Now" is the greatest guitar solo ever played, including anything by Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, or anybody else. It's the highest level attained on the guitar in terms of just dealing with music. I also love Down Here On The Ground and A Day In The Life [both A&M]. Those records illuminate another aspect of his improvisational talents: Stretching out and playing 50 choruses on a tune is one thing, but not many guys can take eight bars and make a perfect jewel of a statement."
    - Pat Metheny

User Info Menu

......Some times producers ought to know, or otherwise should be told when not to include something.....case in point 'Sundown' - did that song really need that horn section blast at the end ? ....

User Info Menu

Just spotted this ......................

Sundown backing track

User Info Menu

Tear it Down (Bumpin' 1965) Sundown (California Dreaming 1966) and Angel (A Day in the Life 1967) bring happy memories from high school years.

User Info Menu

I keep coming back to this track. It's a marvelous thing.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery: Sun Down-w-jpg

User Info Menu

The piano solo by Herbie Hancock is terrific as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV

"If You Could See Me Now" is the greatest guitar solo ever played, including anything by Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, or anybody else. It's the highest level attained on the guitar in terms of just dealing with music. Stretching out and playing 50 choruses on a tune is one thing, but not many guys can take eight bars and make a perfect jewel of a statement."
    - Pat Metheny
    The transcription here is confusing but it's there...

Last edited by ragman1; 02-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Pat loses me with this part of his commentary: "... the greatest guitar solo ever played, including anything by Jimi Hendrix, Robert Johnson, or anybody else."
    Don't understand why people are always trying to place the art that most appeals to their personal taste on a pedestal above other art? Some art is more fully realized than others, but all artists in all genres have something valid to say. It took me a long time to come to understand that the guy who only knows one chord but plays it with all his heart and soul or comes from a different musical culture can be equal in status to a Miles Davis or Wes Montgomery. They're just different flowers in the garden.