The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Got a ticket to see Al on Wednesday, with the added bonus of attending the sound check and a 20mn Q&A before the show.
    Has anyone seen one of his performances?
    Any burning questions to be asked, answered?

I'm looking forward to the show. I haven't listened to his material since the SF recordings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleman3726
    Got a ticket to see Al on Wednesday, with the added bonus of attending the sound check and a 20mn Q&A before the show.
    Has anyone seen one of his performances?
    Any burning questions to be asked, answered?

I'm looking forward to the show. I haven't listened to his material since the SF recordings.
    I became a fan in the early 80s, and I think his book Al DiMeola's Guide to Chords, Scales, and Arpeggios was well thought out.

If I could ask him a question, I'd want to know more about how he spent his practice time when he was at Berklee compared to how he spends it now. Also, I'd be curious to know anything Al would like to share about his lessons with Bob Aslanian, who was an early teacher, and is credited as a co-author of the book.

As far as questions about his music, anything he'd care to say about his time in Return to Forever, and the move to recording his own music would be interesting, along with his observations on how he thinks he's changed/grown as a musician since those early days.

Hope you enjoy the show!

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl late 80's. Everybody knows how fast he plays but when you see it live it's amazing. You will want to just give up practicing and take up sailing... for a couple of days lol

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Wig? (kidding)

Ask him if he's ever considered reuniting the "Tirami Su" band, still my favorite tour of his.

Maybe with an opening set Ciello e Terra style w/Airto?

Now that would be sweet to see again.

Or another trio tour w/him, Bireli and Carrington?

Enjoy the show, I'm certain it will be inspiring!

User Info Menu

Great questions. I'll ask about the hair too.

User Info Menu

Saw him acoustic about 25 years ago with birelli lagrine and Larry corryel, doing the whole Saturday Night in San Fran thing. It was a great show, but I've lost my taste for Al. Ask him why?

User Info Menu

I find his self seriousness absolutely hilarious, but I think he's a badass player. I get excited watching him--makes me want to go practice.

User Info Menu

Right on. Compare that to Wes laughing his ass off while playing that BURNING rendition of Impressions live at the Half Note

User Info Menu

If you could be animal which one would you be and why?

User Info Menu

Ask him why he is so keen to play Gypsy jazz all of a sudden. Is it a money thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ask him why he is so keen to play Gypsy jazz all of a sudden. Is it a money thing?
    I think the fact opportunity to BURN and the fact that "hey, there's gigs!" are both part of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If you could be animal which one would you be and why?
    What I like in this forum is that it is 98% serious
    But what I like most are the remaining 2%
    Thanks BDLH !

User Info Menu

Any guesses on his reply to the question: what kind of animal would you be, if you could be an animal?
    My guess is Al would say he'd like to be an ape - but a serious ape.
    Others?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    "chick magnet"... haha

Al Di Meola-cover_5241141472016_r-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Totally! The collar and the gold chain. Does it every time.

User Info Menu

I wish I could play Short Tales of the Black Forest. Then I wouldn't.

User Info Menu

Nuages

he looks better now then 40 years ago
    Last edited by alltunes; 02-08-2017 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Any guesses on his reply to the question: what kind of animal would you be, if you could be an animal?
    My guess is Al would say he'd like to be an ape - but a serious ape.
    Others?
    Liger.

User Info Menu

Seen him quite a few times... I think my favorite stuff is the live performance stuff on Youtube right after he joined Return to Forever. He looks and acts like such a regular joe six pack type. His live playing is sure dynamic and I totally see why he got that gig.

Ask him how his thinking and insight has evolved through the decades and the countless projects he has been involved with as far as composing, studio, and live projects are concerned up through what he is working on currently.

I can just imagine that being a journey worth recording for posterity.

User Info Menu

Totally! The collar and the gold chain. Does it every time.
    Are you willing to post pictures of yourself from the '70s?

I don't think I can cast the first stone

User Info Menu

I'd be Ok in the 70's, it is the short period in the early 80's that I would not want public pics to come out on for me for sure.

User Info Menu

I saw him a few months ago at Yoshi's in Oakland. Total time warp back to the 70's and I loved it. Whatever you do, don't ask him what he thinks about current music, pop stars, radio or the music industry in general.

I think he played exactly two chords, for about 3 seconds the entire set. Al is a LEAD guitar player...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Actually, it was an amazing gig. Got to sit in on the sound check, and later shot the breeze about cities, various guitars, his appearance on Greece's best selling album, and - since it affects us both - tinnitus.
    He did get the seriousness issue, Mr B, and was good enough to have a pic of us with our serious faces on.
    I'll post the pic once this site works properly.

User Info Menu

Actually, it was an amazing gig. Got to sit in on the sound check, and later shot the breeze about cities, various guitars, his appearance on Greece's best selling album, and - since it affects us both - tinnitus.
    He did get the seriousness issue, Mr B, and was good enough to have a pic of us with our serious faces on.
    I'll post the pic once this site works properly.
    Glad you enjoyed the show and had a good time!