Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 336

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery by a short head from Joe Pass

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello to all, new to this forum but not to an admiration of great guitar playing!

I found myself listening to a lot of Jimmy Bruno in 2007.

An incredible mix of technique & style.
    Totally inspiring & uplifting.............

Grant Green would be #2, For the same reasons!

User Info Menu

I'll go with Joe Pass. Right now, he's my favorite, but I also listen to Kenny Burrell alot, especially "Midnight Blue" and Kenny with Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is the guy I find myself listening to and learning from most often, although obvious names like Django, C. Christian and Wes are irreplacably brilliant too.

Like one previous poster, I've never really understood the appeal of Kenny Burrell. He's a good player, and a hell of a lot better than I am, for sure, but much of an album like 'Midnight Blue' just sounds too obvious for these ears. Having said that, there is a good youtube clip of him jamming with Barney Kessel and Grant Green where I think he tops them both.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery

Chordon Bleu Guest
    Larry Coryell-hes not on the list and so I vote for George Benson. Two very different players but both bery inspiring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mf1941
    Hello to all, new to this forum but not to an admiration of great guitar playing!

I found myself listening to a lot of Jimmy Bruno in 2007.

An incredible mix of technique & style.
    Totally inspiring & uplifting.............

Grant Green would be #2, For the same reasons!
    With all due respect, Jimmy Bruno is one of the most over-rated jazz guitarists out there today. The guy has chops, but that seems to be all it is about for him- how fast he can play arpeggios and such...

there is little attention to phrasing and unique melodic expression with him as far as I can tell... He lives in my area and all the rockers who want to say they studied jazz with him pay like $200/hr to have him teach them arpeggios, modes and velocity exercises...

No thanks. There are much better players and teachers out there.

Picking those two guys over Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Jim Hall and the rest of those legends?? Oh my... now I've heard it all...
    Last edited by peacemover; 01-25-2008 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

It's Joe Pass for me, but Django is a close second.

User Info Menu

George Benson is the reason I took Jazz guitar as far as I have. I discovered his music about 11 years ago. I get an un-matched feeling when I listen to records like 'Bad Benson' and 'Breezin'.
    This is a tough poll, as I have so much passion for Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith (Someone VERY important who should have been on this list), Joe Pass, and Contemporary guys such as Norman Brown, Ronny Jordon, etc.

I allready have voted but i have to reply on this. In the words of Joe Beck "Jimmt Bruno is an American treasure". He said this at a show in Jersey. As far as Jimmy as an educator, someone who teaches about a thousand students including jazz teachers from 27 countrys has to be doing something right. Overated i think not, you mean underrated, He has developed a method that has made me play the way id like to play. As far as feel goes it's in each individual players heart and soul.Jimmy plays whats in his heart and soul. What moves some won't move others.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery is ever my favorite, but if I could vote and recognize all these great guitarists I also choice for All them. Each of them have attributes that make them be unique.
    The list is short, I did not see the names of: Billie Bauer,Herb Ellis, John Smith,Emyli Remler, Bobby Broom, Rodney Jones .......

SALUDOS

User Info Menu

I voted for Charlie Christian because he did it all. Sure the newer recordings sound better and others have taken things to a whole new leve,l like Lenny Breau and Jimmy Bruno, but if you listen to what Charlie was doing, and realize that it was all original, you just have to give him his due.

User Info Menu

My favourite guitarist is Joe Pass

User Info Menu

I will use the list to look out for names I am not familiar with. For me it simply had to be Joe Pass. I still remember the first time I listened to JP live in Montreux 1975 or 77 in my local library (couldn't afford records then) - it was back in the seventies, and I knew that was where I wanted to go. So I owe him all the fun and frustration I had for the last 30 years.
    If I could add another name, it would be Martin Taylor, who takes solo playing to a new level.

User Info Menu

Lenny Breau, Ted Greene and Ed Bickert though they didn't make the list.......

User Info Menu

All the guys on the list are great, as well as the other thousand who didnt make the list. But George Benson would have to get my vote because no one can do it like George does it. But all of these are personal opinions about the guitarist who gives us the most inspiration and ive grown to respect each musician for the hard work that they've put in to become who they are and where they are musicially.
    Last edited by Jazzflava; 03-07-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: misspelled words

User Info Menu

Although I voted for Wes, I fully recognise that there are other, different, and great players out there.

Yet there are good reasons for my choice, even though, as someone said, he did record some pretty bland stuff once he became well-known. In the 1960s a Californian girl-friend gave me an unavailable Wes album from the States knowing that I listened to him. I forget what it was called, except that it was absolutely dire. Got rid of it when she wasn't watching! However, I don't blame him for wanting some money, and anyway, he'd recorded some amazing stuff by then. This, unfortunately, is the crap world we live in where dross is financially lauded, and genius is ignored.

But anyone who wants to hear the latter example ought to go no further than the live versions of Miles's No Blues on the Verve label with the Wynton Kelly Trio. The album (which I originally bought in the 1960s) is Smoking at the Half Note. Wes's solo is not just about technique, but is also the most incredible flow of ideas, one after the other. When one is developed, another follows quickly on. He literally drives the trio forward. It is musically staggering (which is the important thing), technically masterful, and just joyous to listen to. Having listened to it for forty years, I know every note...although I still can't play them.

If you've never heard this, please do. I've even insisted that it's played at my funeral (12.56 long...make the buggers listen to it!)
    Last edited by Ged; 03-10-2008 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Just so you know, John Mclaughlin and Jeff Beck were together on stage one day in San Jose. Jeff Beck is far better at jazz improv. But the best was Joe Pass no contest

Jim Hall keeps it real; but I would have liked to vote for Lenny Breau.

User Info Menu

Check out Angelo Debarre with Biréli Lagrène and Stochelo Rosenberg, in Vienne.

Pete

User Info Menu

Hello gang, my first post. I voted Wes but I'm with Mr. Gordo on Larry Carlton. Amazing.

User Info Menu

I voted Wes also, but i like Joe Pass a great deal also.

User Info Menu

It's impossible to put together a poll that includes everybody's favourite - there are bound to be some great players who are overlooked and omitted.

I voted for Django because he's my favourite on that list but I'm not sure if he'd get my vote if the list were to include Hank Garland, Lenny Breau and Ollie Halsall.

User Info Menu

I voted for Abercrombie only because right now he's just my guy. I always have trouble picking between him and Jim Hall. Right now my connection to John is much stronger since I've gotten to hang and jam with him briefly. I learned more from him in 7 minutes then I did in a semester almost... bit of an exaggeration but not really.

As far as Poll lists goes, I think this one is pretty good. It's again, like said impossible to really pick just 1 cat. I find it interesting that Joe Pass is leading the poll. Very interesting...

User Info Menu

I dig Bill Frisell, John Abercrombie, Jim Hall, and Metheny. Those are the cats that have had more impact on what I do than any other guitarist.