76 6.12%
  • Kenny Burrell

163 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 336

User Info Menu

I thin it was about Duke. Like, Even DukeThe Greatest liked Django Unchained.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW
    ...But he was comfortable playing bebop aswell as swing and impressionistic works.
    I didn't know Django was into impressionism. Can you point me to any examples of him playing this way? 'T'would be much appreciated!

User Info Menu

I dunno about impressionism, but rhythm futur is abstract expressionism in sound...

Django's painting was kind of impressionist though.

User Info Menu

Damn. I voted for Benson, but how can you play any better than Django? I forget what instrument he is playing and just melt into his melodies. His flow of ideas seems endless. Djangos the man.

User Info Menu

Holdsworth by a good margin, but practically any of those players could be rated as greatest ever, really. They're all phenomenal.

User Info Menu

The two greatest guitar players I've ever heard are Django Reinhardt and Lenny Breau.

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress

User Info Menu

And there was no mention of Frank Vignola or Tommy Emmanuel. Tommy is not typically known for jazz, but he and FV, along with Vinny Raniolo, have collaborated on some amazing jazz tune. Just check out this one example of the three of them playing on How High the Moon...

As for my vote, it was Barney Kessel. While he started as a disciple of Charlie Christian he took it way beyond that. Not only did he influence countless jazz players, but some of the techniques he regularly applied on an archtop with minimal or no effects are being widely used from rock to heavy metal. As far as his versatility, he was one of the most recorded, if not the most recorded artist across multiple genres, from jazz to rock, and can be heard on some of the greatest rock as well as jazz recordings of all time. Just look at his recording with Julie London and hear how much he was able to do with just one guitar. "Best" is truly a very subjective term, and is impossible to determine, so this is really an exercise in futility, but entertaining none-the-less.

User Info Menu

So many great players! My #1 lifetime choice is always Tom Morrell a brilliant Dallas musician/arranger. Standard guitar or Steel he had so much soul I don't know how he contained it all!
    From the list, Tal Farlow, and Barney Kessel.
    I'd also vote for the Oscars! Aleman and Moore? I don't believe Oscar Moore ever got his due and Aleman was brilliant!
    And Freddy Green!

Johnny Smith? Jimmy Wyble? Jimmy Shirley? Tiny Grimes? Johnny Cucci was playing Jazz on a Strat back when they were considered planks. John And Bucky P too.

User Info Menu

I would like to see GEORGE BARNES added to the listed.

He was a phenomenal player in a variety of roles - Jazz / Pop.

He was also (possibly) one of the very first to record on Electric Guitar.

DG

User Info Menu

Well couple years later, I have to say my choice would be different now, more between Tal Farlow and Billy Bean, but man am I digging Martino so much lately, can't stop listening to Live at Yoshi's

User Info Menu

T. Farlow, J. Raney, R. Thomas, B. Bean, ........

User Info Menu

I listen to some Grant Green every day!

User Info Menu

That was a difficult decision between Kenny Burrell and Wes. I went for Kenny but only just. Probably because his bluesy style is easier for me to approach as a player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind August
    Voted for Django, though I would've liked to see Al Di Meola here. But of course, that's more like fusion...
    Yup, I also voted for Django, but Al Di Meola was my original guitar hero

There may be flashier players than Django (although he was no slouch) but I simply love his sense of melody! His solos just seem to be melodies within a song, and I love that.
    Last edited by acoustictones; 10-19-2014 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie has the lowest score but he is really quite amazing. His solo starts at 4:35 on this video.

User Info Menu

Can't respond...

Johnny Smith and Howard Roberts not on the list. Both are extremely versatile and good at single-line and chordal stuff, and their stuff consistently just grooves, in a way that most other players stuff does not.

User Info Menu

Given the restrictions of the list it had to be Joe Pass for me. I'm an aging drummer from Australia but I've seen Pass several times and he could do it all and be a nice guy as well. He was never less than stunning as a player. But then there's Wes, and Tal, and Barney and ..........

User Info Menu

Benson swings so hard that it sounds like R&B and Blues....but it's his own Style of Jazz Guitar.

Anybody else swing as hard on Guitar ?

I love that he is as Funky as Hendrix or Prince but playing Jazz.....

User Info Menu

Benson is absoloutely amazing. He's the only one out there who really perplexes me. With anyone else I feel like I could cop their style if I devoted enough time to it. But with George some of the stuff he plays it's just on another world or summin. Like the most amazing improv I've ever heard.

My other guy is Metheny. I suppose because my jazz leanings, as far as original music, run in the jazz fusion direction. I like his modern fusion direction while still having a real jazz improv style. And he's an amazing composer.
    Okay I picked two guys. Guess I always gotta be different.

User Info Menu

Apparently I already voted on this poll a couple years ago, for Barney Kessel. Today, I'd vote Kenny Burrell based on the available selections - but Billy Bean is actually my favorite. I can't fault the poll though...when it came out I had not yet even heard Billy.

User Info Menu

Didn't see Larry Coryell in here.

Probably Metheny, although McLaughlin and Coryell were probably my first favorites.

User Info Menu

Martino, Benson, Frisell, McLaughlin, Ellis.

I can't pick just one. Though I voted for Pat since he was my first favorite jazz guitarist.

User Info Menu

There are many great players that didn't made it to the short list, but seriously, Herb Ellis is really too important to be excluded.

User Info Menu

Well, for me , I always liked George Benson's emotion and his ability to "play it raw" and his great rhythmic feel whether he's playing straight jazz or R&B influenced stuff.

George Benson brings the true African American Jazz feel to and through the Guitar to my ears , often he sounds really soulful even on Standards .

And for me he is usually really fun to listen to.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-12-2019 at 05:33 AM.