• Kenny Burrell

163 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 336

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wes and Kenny 1&2. All is right with the world.
    Joe Pass is #2 on this poll: Django is 3rd. Kenny and Metheny are tied for 4th\5th.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-14-2021 at 03:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Joe Pass is #2 on this poll: Django is 3rd. Kenny and Metheny are tied for 4th\5th.
    I know. It’s a poll which is meaningless.

User Info Menu

My favorite guitarist right now is Emily Remler. Why is she not in the list?
    Another notable omission is Lenny Breau.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    My favorite guitarist right now is Emily Remler. Why is she not in the list?
    Another notable omission is Lenny Breau.
    There needs to be two more polls; one that ask how many guitarist should be listed (there are 20 now), and another about who should be listed.

Of course, I'm joking, but a poll with a fixed-listing of choices is flawed from the start.

User Info Menu

I'd have Mike Stern and Danny Gatton... Also George Golla.

But an excellent representative list.

User Info Menu

This poll was started in 2007, two years before Julian Lage's first album as leader, a year before Mary Halvorson's debut. Lage Lund had made one album.

User Info Menu

How is Johnny Smith not on this list???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    How is Johnny Smith not on this list???
    I went back and read the first post by the user that created this poll and here is what was said:

"Sorry for any shortcomings of this poll, it is only guitarists and obviously there is more than ten around, but thats the max option".

Note that now there are 20 guitarist listed so that "max option" must have changed from 10 to 20.

While I would have included Johnny Smith in a listing of 20 jazz guitarist, the overall problem is that there is a list to begin with, but that is the easily way to conduct such a poll; much more difficult for the software being used to allow "write in" choices.

User Info Menu

Been listening to Johnny Smith, "The Sounds Of Guitar." Wonderful player. Should be on the list...along with a couple hundred more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Been listening to Johnny Smith, "The Sounds Of Guitar." Wonderful player. Should be on the list...along with a couple hundred more.
    Agree; The problem as I noted above is that there has to be a list to begin with, but allowing write-in choices is much more difficult to program.

User Info Menu

Agree; The problem as I noted above is that there has to be a list to begin with, but allowing write-in choices is much more difficult to program.

It's still an interesting list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    It's still an interesting list.
    Yea, the creator made an effort to bring in jazz guitarist from different styles and eras, but that also means top notch 50s guitarist like Johnny Smith, aren't included to limit the number of 50s guitarist on the list.

The general problem with a list of fixed choices (like 20 here) is when one says "how can they not be part of this list", this leads to "who should they replace in this list".

E.g. Should Johnny Smith replace Jimmy Raney or Tal Farlow?

User Info Menu

The list was compiled in 2007 and doubtless reflects the tastes of that time. Johnny Smith perhaps was not quite as respected then as he is now. Certainly, he has received growing attention and reassessment in recent years.

User Info Menu

So I picked monty and Burrell.

I listen to Kenny B by far the most, mainly because the quality of the other players on his albums is so high, e.g. if uve not heard it check out earthy, Art Farmer runs it!

User Info Menu

There are so many guitarists I love listening to, but I think these are my top 3. Who knows, maybe tomorrow is different.

1. Allan Holdsworth
    2. Pat Metheny
    3. Kurt Rosenwinkel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mwilliams
    There are so many guitarists I love listening to, but I think these are my top 3. Who knows, maybe tomorrow is different.

1. Allan Holdsworth
    2. Pat Metheny
    3. Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Are you under age 50 (or so)? I ask because there was an interesting article I was reading that one can often determine someone's age based on their favorites musicians, bands, movies etc...

E.g. how many are into things that were created before they were born?

User Info Menu

It’s great to see that Wes is so well received here. He’s been dead for 54 years and yet he’s still leading polls! Wes lives!

User Info Menu

Are you under age 50 (or so)? I ask because there was an interesting article I was reading that one can often determine someone's age based on their favorites musicians, bands, movies etc...

E.g. how many are into things that were created before they were born?
    I am, actually! Haha! But I do love, of course, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, Jim Hall, etc... It's just that Allan, Pat, and Kurt, I guess they were just around, so naturally, I would be listening to them more often. This is an interesting topic, though, how depending on when you were born, you will be influenced by certain things more than others.

User Info Menu

I am, actually! Haha! But I do love, of course, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, Jim Hall, etc... It's just that Allan, Pat, and Kurt, I guess they were just around, so naturally, I would be listening to them more often. This is an interesting topic, though, how depending on when you were born, you will be influenced by certain things more than others.
    Glad you understood my overall point here since sometimes people get defensive, falsely believing I'm criticizing them or their selection.

I also enjoy the music of the musicians you mentioned but I don't listen to them as much as the musicians that got me into jazz guitar like Farlow, Raney, Kessell, Green, Pass, etc.. These are the guys that inspired me to play jazz guitar.

Of course jazz musicians tend to know about the musicians that came before we were born, often as part of our overall musical education. My experience is that non musicians tend to mainly listen to the type of music they grew up with and maybe a few that their parents were into (e.g. The Beatles), but rarely their grandparents.

What I love about this forum is being exposed to jazz musicians from all eras \ generations.

User Info Menu

I voted for Grant Green .
    First time I heard him 20 years ago ,I was shocked ( in a negative way ) by his "unprocessed" sound.
    All these years that passed I wasn't paying any attention to him.
    I like almost all the players from the list.
    Suddenly something happened to me and I dig GG so much that the
    last 2 months he is the only guitar player I am in the mood for listening.
    So I think it really depends in the mood of each person.
    The same happened with Kenny Burrell and e.t.c.
    It is like voting for your favorite food.

User Info Menu

I settled on Barney Kessel. I was a 16 year old listening to Black sabbath and borrowed a live album from the library and loved it. Even though I appreciate many more players now BK, especially live, is what I enjoy the most.

User Info Menu

Late 70’s at Uni. The Stranglers had performed there I think a week before. This band U.K. were billed. After a few beers we sat cross legged on the floor with no idea who was on next. Wow. Holdsworth, and the band with it’s debut album material, just blew me away. I had no idea what his technique involved at the time but he was definitely at his best.

User Info Menu

Much into Sonny Sharrock, Johnny Smith, Wes, Jim Hall, Kurt Rosenwinkel, etc. (edit: add Lenny Breau, Jack Wilkins to that list)

Some big names on the list who don't jive with me at all. I would say, any record that seems to focus on solo guitar that doesn't swing as much as others on the list, those are the ones I don't prefer. There's a lot of rubato playing out there and a lot of it is boring.

Looking for more modern day cats to listen to, who play modern day stuff.
    Last edited by stylo; 12-10-2022 at 11:34 PM.

User Info Menu

"modern day cats to listen to, who play modern day stuff"

Sonny Greenwich, James Blood Ulmer, Sonny Sharrock, Bern Nix, Joe Morris, Nels Cline, Otomo Yoshihide, Derek Bailey, Vernon Reid, Mary Halverson, Pete Cosey
    Also...some forward thinking older stuff..
    Gabor Szabo with Charles Lloyd ("Of Course, Of Course" or "Manhattan Stories" )

Dennis Budimer with Chico Hamilton on "Gongs East" featuring Eric Dolphy, or the Dennis Budimer Revelation Records trios from the early 1960s called "Sprung Free"

Just a few suggestions beyond the list.

User Info Menu

So many good choices. I had to vote for Wes, though, since I live in Indianapolis. If I lived in Seattle, I’d be saying “Dude! How can you make a list like this without Kurt Cobain???”

Kenny is a close second.

Half of Joe Pass — the half that plays in combos or accompanies Ella — is eye-wateringly good. The other half — the “Virtuoso,” solo, out-of-time stuff — doesn’t speak to me even a little bit. That might say more about my lack of sophistication than anything else.

There are several on this list I hadn’t heard of. I need to spend a little quality Spotify time, I guess.