76 6.12%
  • Kenny Burrell

163 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 336

User Info Menu

Now here's one of the most brilliant and well rounded and versatile Guitarists on this entire list.

And one of the best. As many of you know , playing fancy single lines even over 'difficult ' changes requires skills to make it sound good - and if you don't have the chops or 'time' it won't work no matter what anyway.

But making Solo Guitar Arrangements sound really great is exponentially more rare ..

And to my ears the above sounds great - and only twenty or fewer Guitarists ( maybe 50 ?at most ) could in History could Play it nearly as well....
    AND it's musical and sounds great not just Technical .

So Jon Kriesberg - in addition to everything else can play- great Solo Guitar - great guitar arranger too.

Rare skillset and Musical - not a trick ...should be on the list.

Along with Yamandu Costa ....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    And there was no mention of Frank Vignola or Tommy Emmanuel. Tommy is not typically known for jazz, but he and FV, along with Vinny Raniolo, have collaborated on some amazing jazz tune. Just check out this one example of the three of them playing on How High the Moon...

wow that's great !

I wish I had a right hand like Frank V
    he kind of throws it at the strings and
    it bounces back like a ball .... wonderful

great great playing by all

User Info Menu

Yes Jonathan Kreisberg is my favourite so unfortunately I cannot vote. Glad to see him mentioned by some others.

Wes & Kenny; 1 & 1A.

User Info Menu

I would appreciate to expand the list. There's none of the the young players, like Julian Lage.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass with Wes close behind

User Info Menu

Last week Julian Lage, the week before Grant Green, this week Bill Frisell, and so on

User Info Menu

MARTIN TAYLOR! The most important, innovative, finger style jazz player in the history of jazz guitar. How could you not include him?

User Info Menu

Are my eyes deceiving me? Where is Herb Ellis?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by takefive
    Are my eyes deceiving me? Where is Herb Ellis?!
    In 2007, when this poll was started, Herb Ellis was unknown to the world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Haha.

I remember as a kid seeing Herb Ellis on one of the talk show bands , recognizing him from Guitar Player Magazine coverage - and remember thinking I could not hear his chords cause he was mixed so low ..( Merv Griffin Show or Tonight Show ? ).

User Info Menu

I tend to usually pick the player with the most ideas! Obviously when soloing. I also really dig original tone like Frank Zappas tone! He was also a great ideas player being a composer! Technique/chops are just a means to an end. So I pick Wes because he always had great original ideas and a unique tone. Crazy that everybody says not only he couldn't read but didn't know much theory either! That I find hard to believe because his playing was definetly theory sound! I even read somewhere that he didn't know his chords but I know for a fact that isn't true! I have a live video where in between tunes he tells the piano played what chords/changes to use. Plus his brother played piano!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Oh, wow. This was a tough choice. I mean, whats to gauge a favorite? Is it the guy that did the most for jazz? the most unique style? prettiest tone? Really, you can make favorites but in same way or another I'm sure every one of them has changed our ideas of jazz guitar for the better. Personally I don't have a favorite Jazz guitarist. Most of my style is influenced by guys who play piano bass or horn, anyways.
    Yeah isn't it interesting how most jazz guitar players are influenced by every instrument except there main one. I love them all but I'm not just a guitar player so who knows. I play piano and bass too. Dabble with the drums but don't have a kit currently. Actually I'm probably more of a bass and/or piano player as far as skill wise. I kinda knew i was a bass player early on in my guitar playing for two reasons. First I always wanted to play lines and in the beginning my teacher said that maybe I was a bass player on account of the way I played! I did get into harmony on the guitar later on tho by way of the bass and the piano ?. Sorry for giving you guys my life story lol. I got carried away!
    -G
    Yeah isn't it interesting how most jazz guitar players are influenced by every instrument except there main one. I love them all but I'm not just a guitar player so who knows. I play piano and bass too. Dabble with the drums but don't have a kit currently. Actually I'm probably more of a bass and/or piano player as far as skill wise. I kinda knew i was a bass player early on in my guitar playing for two reasons. First I always wanted to play lines and in the beginning my teacher said that maybe I was a bass player on account of the way I played! I did get into harmony on the guitar later on tho by way of the bass and the piano ?. Sorry for giving you guys my life story lol. I got carried away!
    -G[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

I need to write in Rene Thomas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac
    I need to write in Rene Thomas.
    Rene Thomas has a solid recording legacy; Wish I was able to have seen him in person.

User Info Menu

Metheny is favourite. A brilliant, allround player with a unique style, but above all: composer. Magnificant stuff that man made and is still making. Beautifull colaborations with other heroes of mine: hancock, brecker, pastorius.
    Last edited by Marcel_A; 08-07-2020 at 12:20 PM.

User Info Menu

George van Eps, my favourite jazz guitarist, didn't make the list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Milton
    George van Eps, my favourite jazz guitarist, didn't make the list.
    Did you every see Van Eps live? I was lucky enough to see him a few times playing with Howard Alden in Southern California, where George lived and where Howard was born.

User Info Menu

Tal is my #1 favorite. Barney Kessel and Grant Green are next and also Charlie Christian and Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

I'm surprised Charlie Christian is not top 5! I voted for Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S F
    I'm surprised Charlie Christian is not top 5! I voted for Wes.
    There could be many reasons mostly related to the fact he had a short career due to dying so young; Lack of recordings. Hardly no one at this forum has seen him play live. He only played one style of jazz (e.g. even with Django we have recordings of him playing more modern jazz later than just gypsy jazz).

User Info Menu

I'd have liked to vote for almost all of those players!

and write in Angelo Debarre!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    There could be many reasons mostly related to the fact he had a short career due to dying so young; Lack of recordings. Hardly no one at this forum has seen him play live. He only played one style of jazz (e.g. even with Django we have recordings of him playing more modern jazz later than just gypsy jazz).
    One style maybe, but it was a great style that influenced almost every other later player.

And as for "short career due to dying so young", I'd also mention Eddie Lang.

Also, why were players like Les Paul, Emily Remler, Herb Ellis, Gabor Szabo, etc. not on the list?

User Info Menu

Wes and Kenny 1&2. All is right with the world.