• Kenny Burrell

138 13.03%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 401 to 410 of 410

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eivind August View Post
    Voted for Django, though I would've liked to see Al Di Meola here. But of course, that's more like fusion...
    Yup, I also voted for Django, but Al Di Meola was my original guitar hero

There may be flashier players than Django (although he was no slouch) but I simply love his sense of melody! His solos just seem to be melodies within a song, and I love that.
    Last edited by acoustictones; 10-19-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    David - AcousticTones
    http://www.YouTube.com/AcousticTones
    Example of my playing: https://youtu.be/b20eMAp1neE

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie has the lowest score but he is really quite amazing. His solo starts at 4:35 on this video.

User Info Menu

Can't respond...

Johnny Smith and Howard Roberts not on the list. Both are extremely versatile and good at single-line and chordal stuff, and their stuff consistently just grooves, in a way that most other players stuff does not.

User Info Menu

ON second thought

My favorite guitar player is Charley Parker

"UH...Charley Parker did not play guitar."

"Oh boy...you're right, come to think of it....Now... who wants to buy several awkward looking 6-stringed instruments that will never be able to play like Bird did?"
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 02-06-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Revise format

User Info Menu

Given the restrictions of the list it had to be Joe Pass for me. I'm an aging drummer from Australia but I've seen Pass several times and he could do it all and be a nice guy as well. He was never less than stunning as a player. But then there's Wes, and Tal, and Barney and ..........

User Info Menu

Benson swings so hard that it sounds like R&B and Blues....but it's his own Style of Jazz Guitar.

Anybody else swing as hard on Guitar ?

I love that he is as Funky as Hendrix or Prince but playing Jazz.....

User Info Menu

Benson is absoloutely amazing. He's the only one out there who really perplexes me. With anyone else I feel like I could cop their style if I devoted enough time to it. But with George some of the stuff he plays it's just on another world or summin. Like the most amazing improv I've ever heard.

My other guy is Metheny. I suppose because my jazz leanings, as far as original music, run in the jazz fusion direction. I like his modern fusion direction while still having a real jazz improv style. And he's an amazing composer.
    Okay I picked two guys. Guess I always gotta be different.

User Info Menu

Apparently I already voted on this poll a couple years ago, for Barney Kessel. Today, I'd vote Kenny Burrell based on the available selections - but Billy Bean is actually my favorite. I can't fault the poll though...when it came out I had not yet even heard Billy.

User Info Menu

Didn't see Larry Coryell in here.

Probably Metheny, although McLaughlin and Coryell were probably my first favorites.

User Info Menu

Martino, Benson, Frisell, McLaughlin, Ellis.

I can't pick just one. Though I voted for Pat since he was my first favorite jazz guitarist.
    On the Turntable: Wes Montgomery - Back on Indiana Avenue, Paul Motion Trio - It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II