70 6.48%
  • Kenny Burrell

140 12.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 401 to 421 of 421

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie has the lowest score but he is really quite amazing. His solo starts at 4:35 on this video.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't respond...

Johnny Smith and Howard Roberts not on the list. Both are extremely versatile and good at single-line and chordal stuff, and their stuff consistently just grooves, in a way that most other players stuff does not.

User Info Menu

ON second thought

My favorite guitar player is Charley Parker

"UH...Charley Parker did not play guitar."

"Oh boy...you're right, come to think of it....Now... who wants to buy several awkward looking 6-stringed instruments that will never be able to play like Bird did?"
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 02-06-2015 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Revise format

User Info Menu

Given the restrictions of the list it had to be Joe Pass for me. I'm an aging drummer from Australia but I've seen Pass several times and he could do it all and be a nice guy as well. He was never less than stunning as a player. But then there's Wes, and Tal, and Barney and ..........

User Info Menu

Benson swings so hard that it sounds like R&B and Blues....but it's his own Style of Jazz Guitar.

Anybody else swing as hard on Guitar ?

I love that he is as Funky as Hendrix or Prince but playing Jazz.....

User Info Menu

Benson is absoloutely amazing. He's the only one out there who really perplexes me. With anyone else I feel like I could cop their style if I devoted enough time to it. But with George some of the stuff he plays it's just on another world or summin. Like the most amazing improv I've ever heard.

My other guy is Metheny. I suppose because my jazz leanings, as far as original music, run in the jazz fusion direction. I like his modern fusion direction while still having a real jazz improv style. And he's an amazing composer.
    Okay I picked two guys. Guess I always gotta be different.

User Info Menu

Apparently I already voted on this poll a couple years ago, for Barney Kessel. Today, I'd vote Kenny Burrell based on the available selections - but Billy Bean is actually my favorite. I can't fault the poll though...when it came out I had not yet even heard Billy.

User Info Menu

Didn't see Larry Coryell in here.

Probably Metheny, although McLaughlin and Coryell were probably my first favorites.

User Info Menu

Martino, Benson, Frisell, McLaughlin, Ellis.

I can't pick just one. Though I voted for Pat since he was my first favorite jazz guitarist.
    On the Turntable: Steve Reich - Phases (box set), Fred Frith Guitar Quartet - Ayaya Moses
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II

User Info Menu

There are many great players that didn't made it to the short list, but seriously, Herb Ellis is really too important to be excluded.

User Info Menu

Well, for me , I always liked George Benson's emotion and his ability to "play it raw" and his great rhythmic feel whether he's playing straight jazz or R&B influenced stuff.

George Benson brings the true African American Jazz feel to and through the Guitar to my ears , often he sounds really soulful even on Standards .

And for me he is usually really fun to listen to.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-12-2019 at 05:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Now here's one of the most brilliant and well rounded and versatile Guitarists on this entire list.

And one of the best. As many of you know , playing fancy single lines even over 'difficult ' changes requires skills to make it sound good - and if you don't have the chops or 'time' it won't work no matter what anyway.

But making Solo Guitar Arrangements sound really great is exponentially more rare ..

And to my ears the above sounds great - and only twenty or fewer Guitarists ( maybe 50 ?at most ) could in History could Play it nearly as well....
    AND it's musical and sounds great not just Technical .

So Jon Kriesberg - in addition to everything else can play- great Solo Guitar - great guitar arranger too.

Rare skillset and Musical - not a trick ...should be on the list.

Along with Yamandu Costa ....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 11-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

not heard much jk

this is an interesting quasi-classical arrangement

not very jazzy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa View Post

Now here's one of the most brilliant and well rounded and versatile Guitarists on this entire list.

And one of the best. As many of you know , playing fancy single lines even over 'difficult ' changes requires skills to make it sound good - and if you don't have the chops or 'time' it won't work no matter what anyway.

But making Solo Guitar Arrangements sound really great is exponentially more rare ..

And to my ears the above sounds great - and only twenty or fewer Guitarists ( maybe 50 ?at most ) could in History could Play it nearly as well....
    AND it's musical and sounds great not just Technical .

So Jon Kriesberg - in addition to everything else can play- great Solo Guitar - great guitar arranger too.

Rare skillset and Musical - not a trick ...should be on the list.

Along with Yamandu Costa ....
    I agree, brilliant! Thanks for the post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63 View Post
    And there was no mention of Frank Vignola or Tommy Emmanuel. Tommy is not typically known for jazz, but he and FV, along with Vinny Raniolo, have collaborated on some amazing jazz tune. Just check out this one example of the three of them playing on How High the Moon...

wow that's great !

I wish I had a right hand like Frank V
    he kind of throws it at the strings and
    it bounces back like a ball .... wonderful

great great playing by all

User Info Menu

Yes Jonathan Kreisberg is my favourite so unfortunately I cannot vote. Glad to see him mentioned by some others.
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

Wes & Kenny; 1 & 1A.
    Midnight Blues

User Info Menu

I would appreciate to expand the list. There's none of the the young players, like Julian Lage.

User Info Menu

Joe Pass with Wes close behind

User Info Menu

Last week Julian Lage, the week before Grant Green, this week Bill Frisell, and so on

User Info Menu

MARTIN TAYLOR! The most important, innovative, finger style jazz player in the history of jazz guitar. How could you not include him?