76 6.12%
  • Kenny Burrell

163 13.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 336

User Info Menu

Don't want to slate anyone who likes the guy, but I've always wondered why kenny burrell is so respected amongst jazzers? I've scoured through hours of his music but not yet found anything particularly illuminating or harmonically interesting; and to be honest it doesnt sound very soulful either; anyone be able to help me maybe I'm just not listening right at the moment?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

check out "midnight blue" or my personal favorite kenny on record, a slightly hard to track down split with donald byrd called "all night long." (it's on CD, thru prestige now, i think) kenny's not gonna wow you, but he is soulful--what have you been listening to?

if you really need to hear him burn, check out his album with john coltrane, cleverly titled--"kenny burrell and john coltrane."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanlowe
    Don't want to slate anyone who likes the guy, but I've always wondered why kenny burrell is so respected amongst jazzers? I've scoured through hours of his music but not yet found anything particularly illuminating or harmonically interesting; and to be honest it doesnt sound very soulful either; anyone be able to help me maybe I'm just not listening right at the moment?
    I feel exactly that about Grant Green. Everytime I read something about him it seems so exagerated.
    I guess these guys were real professionals that above all, who did their work. They did not play to be famous, to be the best, to be outstanding, etc., although in the end they left pleasant stuff for us to listen to. Nowadays we think differently. We have raised our patterns, partly due to information society we live in. I'm not sure it is better, thou...

joao pedro

User Info Menu

why not Oscar Alemán?, if some of you want to hear some of his records.... let me know and I will send you the torrent file.

Esteban.-

User Info Menu

If I had to pick one, even though I like so many players, it would have to be John McLaughlin. What hasn't he attempted? I pick him for the way he has made his music an adventure. In spite of how great so many other guys are, I don't know of anyone in all of jazz, let alone guitar, that has explored so much in thier music.

User Info Menu

The best jazz guitarist is an impossible title. There are so many guys that are so good, it would depent on the style, song, and day of the week.

Lately I have been really digging on Scotty Anderson, and while not classified as "jazz player", (although he really is), this guys is such a monster that he could play with any of them, and most people don't even know who he is. If you haven't heard him look him up on YouTube or get one of his CDs. There is just no good reason for anyone to play that good, it just makes us normal people look bad.

User Info Menu

obviously its george benson, not counting the techniques and scales since everyone in the list has superb talent...but the way george performs looks like he's in pain...the passion he brings while playing separates him from the other guys..yes joe pass is a great guitarist and deserves to be called "the genius"..but personally i would go for the power, dynamics and performance with tremendous spirit by mr. benson..

User Info Menu

i completely agree pete will, metheny is definately my biggest inspiration his "we live here" record in particular and hes one of the most passionate players ive ever seen, theres a really deep commitment to music in there, one incredible musician

User Info Menu

I completely stopped playing roughly 12 years ago. Burn-out. There are many
    folks with many stories about burn-out. Not this forum. I am wood-shedding
    again and the heart is returning. I, believe it or not, tend to wood-shed, country. Easier to find real work and get paid, I hope. I'm finding the business
    has really changed.

Anyway, I keep thinking about major league session players, like Ray Flacke and Brent Mason. Brent Mason the country star today and an incredible jazzer.
    Danny Gatton needs to be on the list, a major country influence for me.
    Country players tend to play most anything and everything, some not known
    for jazz.

User Info Menu

Sorry to be casting stones, but I think a real poll of jazz guitarists is incomplete, if not utterly meaningless, without mentioning Lenny Breau.

He might not be the most accessible or the most interesting to all tastes, but he really is a cut above and beyond most of your elections. I wouldn't have expected him to win, but to not be mentioned is unforgivable.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Ed Bickert in there as well, he reminds me a little of Jim Hall (my best of the rest selection) in a different kind of way.

Shields up! Sulu, get us out of here.

User Info Menu

I think Joe Pass is the greater guitar player plus musician at all.

Besides, I believe every jazz guitar players have their own "touch" styling and not easy to compare with .
    Please, try to listen to Oscar Aleman (Django style). He was great enough!!!
    Walter Malosetti, Ricardo Pellican, Ricardo Lew and others from Argentina.

Good luck everybody !!!!
    Diego

I voted for Pat Metheny...I love his music, his sound, the way he play and how he mix all the ingredients to make you feel in another place...in a more relaxing place...a beautifull place...

also i want to vote for Guthrie Govan...but he isn't here...so...Pat it's the best for me...=P

listen to Watercolors album...and call me in the morning...

User Info Menu

If possible, Bill Frisell really seems to be almost at the 'country' side of jazz playing. It's a bit like he took creatively where Les Paul stopped years ago (even thought he still plays).

An enjoyably unique style of playing IMHO.

User Info Menu

i love the sound of jim hall,the first time i heard him play some chords it was like hearing a piano.

User Info Menu

hi !
    my favorite guitarist is a jazz gypsy french guitarist : Bireli Lagrene , not listed but so amazing and easy player...

User Info Menu

Hello everyone this is my second post (first one was on the topic What are you listening right now)
    I voted Pat Martino because he's to me one of the most thrilling players ever, not only on guitar (hope thrilling means what I think I'm spanish and my english is not that great), I voted him because of his personal story, truly an example to any musician

of course I could have voted another one (glad to see Rosenwinkel on the list)
    un saludo!

I would have liked to see Coryell on the list. I understand that he is not a traditionalists favorite. I like the fact that he is fearless and inovative. This is truly a great list. I find my self going through phases of listening. Right now it is Pat Martino.

User Info Menu

What a difficult choise to make...
    When I think about it, there are many guitarists I'd rank no 1, each for a different reason.
    Forced to make a choise, I have to stick with Grant Green. I just love his tone & feel, especially during the "Live at the Lighthouse"-period. Besides that, he definitely opened the door for jazzmusic to me... So, Grant it will be.

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell, Johnny Smith, Charlie Christian, Eddie Lang ...

User Info Menu

Hey Guys, The choices are awesome. Also the names the members have suggested are very good. However, I think "Martin Taylor" should have topped them all or at least been mentioned. In my meek knowledge he is one of the best that evolved in this generation. I do not have to say much. If you have not heard of him you are missing so much. Check him out. A true original.
    I apologize if he has been mentioned before and did not read it.
    Ciao
    RJ

User Info Menu

I'm assuming we get one vote.
    Having studied with Metheny, I was tempted.
    Of course, without Charlie Christian, Wes, Jim Hall, Freddie Green
    Joe Pass and Django, we don't have jazz guitar.
    So I vote for the guy who's moving beyond the narrow parameters of
    having to swing and play symetric diminished scales over every 5 chord -
    Bill Frissell. Kurt Rosenwinkel makes it tough. Metheny has transcended the bounderies but all of those guys defy cliche and expand the tradition.
    It's nice to see someone wave the flag of tradition but the growing of the thing is so important. It ain't the hats, it ain't the 32nd note lines, it's the music.
    chappy

User Info Menu

It is simply impossible to vote for the "best" guitarist or your favorite player. It changes like the seasons. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery deserve the respect. They were masters. For those who haven't heard him (he is a little esoteric), Tommy Crook is one of the best living guitarists, Tuck Andress (Tuck and Patti) is another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lynton
    It is simply impossible to vote for the "best" guitarist or your favorite player. It changes like the seasons. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery deserve the respect. They were masters. For those who haven't heard him (he is a little esoteric), Tommy Crook is one of the best living guitarists, Tuck Andress (Tuck and Patti) is another.
    I disagree- at least on the 'favorite' jazz guitarist part. I definitely have my favorites, along with a list of POPULAR 'jazz' guitarists (to remain nameless at this particular juncture, whom I personally think are over-rated hacks who have a particular gimmick or person who 'discovered' them that made them famous...

I also believe that for every 'famous' guitarist or jazz musician there are probably at least a dozen incredible prodigies who are content to play out and/or teach locally and never go national or get 'discovered.'

I think few would be able to dispute that at the very least Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian were legendary jazz guitar innovators who could play the socks off most of these others... Interestingly enough, none of them were formally 'educated' musically- they all learned by starting early, playing and practicing often, getting out where the local greats played as often as possible, and having a 24-7 passion for the instrument and art...

That can't be taught, and isn't even always 'popular' or 'famous'.

They each overcame major challenges as well- Django was maimed in a fire on his fretting hand, Wes and Charlie came from humble beginnings and Joe began playing for his father and his friends at an inner city bar...

They loved it and they lived it and they had that something that put them in a class by themselves- that innate ability to master the tonal and harmonic vocabulary in their own time in their own unique way.

That is part of why they are my 'favorites.' Are there others? Of course! Do we learn bits and pieces from many different players then hopefully develop our own style? of course- but we all have our influential mentors and heroes, if you will, if we are being honest with ourselves.

The musician who says they are COMPLETELY original is either in denial or just a good liar/ unconscious borrower. We owe each of these pioneering players a huge debt of gratitude for helping lead the way...

Peace,

John

User Info Menu

Dear coleagues! We are only choosing our favorite, but we are not choosing the best... Who we are to judge?

User Info Menu

so, lately i've been introduced to and start to listen to some different people whom i love greatly.
    like charles, Bireli Lagrene has really touched me. he's got some really really nice music. very complex (although it may not seem so at first) and nice to listen to.
    Jody Fisher is a truly exceptional finger picker. he uses that fast upper 12th fret finger harmonics that tommy emmanuel uses for somewhere over the rainbow. he always has a very mellowish tone to his guitar and fingerpicks as if he were playing all the parts of a whole band. he also uses very meshing (goes together) chords that are so natural.
    at last but not least, Robert Conti!!! i've never heard the name before. i'm not sure how i heard of him actually but supposedly he is pretty well known by a lot of people. just listen to him on youtube, u'll understand why i love him.