The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have been listening for the first time to the Weather Report Live collection The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981. These were compiled by Peter Erskine from the soundboard recordings.

The performances are off the charts. The versions of Gibraltar and Madagascar stretch on for 20 minutes without getting dull or repetitive. Gibraltar IMO is a religious experience. It simmers, and boils over, and just when you think it can't get more intense, it does. Each musician plays his a** off.

Some have commented that this is the best live recording of Wayne Shorter available. I won't disagree. He is so out there--it's like he's from another world. Zawinul takes his usual multikeyboard stuff and turns it up a couple notches. I don't see how with 1979 technology someone could be that energetic and expressive with the synths--makes Keith Emerson seem like a student.

And of course Jaco is Jaco at his prime.

I think everyone on this record could be considered the best in the world on their instrument at the time this was recorded.

Anyway, what really impressed me about Weather Report is that unlike other great fusion bands, it's not a showcase for one virtuoso or even a series of traded solos by virtuosos. It's really organic and sticks together in a way that is really unique. It is world music in the broadest sense without being tied to a specific place.

Anyone else encountered this amazing record?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I will check it asap, thanks for the post

User Info Menu

Love Weather Report..saw them with Jaco around Heavy Weather. But Mahavishnu live, right after Inner Mounting Flame, were nothing short of astounding...

User Info Menu

I love Mahavishnu too--never saw them live but saw McLaughlin once upon a time. I have always thought of them as more of a vessel for McLaughlin's vision than a collaborative group. Maybe that's just my perception.

I think I used to have their one released live album on vinyl. Can't remember it well though.

I also had WR's 8:30, which has some great and well-engineered live versions of their popular songs. The Legendary Live album above isn't as tightly engineered sound wise, but the performances are looser and more out there.

And they are all virtuosos. Jaco never ceases to amaze me, however. There are a lot of great bassists out there, but nobody could play as fast and fluid as Jaco.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-08-2017 at 09:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Yep, best fusion band ever.

At least Joe and Wayne kept their shirts on LOL. Jaco stalks the stage like a panther. Erskine pounds the drums like a maniac. Joe is like the mad scientist in his little cave. Wayne just seems bemused by everything that's going on around him.

User Info Menu

I think I'm the only weirdo out there who liked WR better before Jaco.

User Info Menu

fellow weirdo here, mr b...actually i don't even like the jaco era...i love the founding bassist miroslav vitous era..and also his replacement alphonso johnson..by the time jaco joined they had a different more mainstream agenda...

my fave by them is mysterious traveller..has vitous and johnson!

here's earlier days

cheers

User Info Menu

Early WR is GREAT fusion. I'm a fan of all three eras, however. There's no doubt, though, that Jaco brought out more "rock" in the band...and pulled the center of the band away from Zawinul...after he joined. There were considerable trade offs, here. Judging from commercial successes, the band chose wisely. BUT, commercial success and musical success are two different beasts.

User Info Menu

I love Fusion from WR to Tribal Tech ...

For me it's still hard to beat Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior album ... I'm not usually a big fan of Al Di Meola, but his playing style really works for me on that album

User Info Menu

Just scanning the title without reading any of the posts my first thought was "everything from Jaco-era W/R would be at the top of my list." That said, i don't really get along with "best of," so I would re-phrase to "what are some fusion records that really grabbed you?" With W/R as a given, I would throw out these others as being a cut above:

Jaco -- Word of Mouth
    Jan Hammer/Jerry Goodman -- Country and Eastern Music
    Miles -- Tribute to Jack Johnson, We Want Miles (I know Bitches Brew is the benchmark, but for no particular reason I've never explored it).
    Jeff Beck -- Live with Jan Hammer (Blow by Blow actually grabbed me more, but I think it might be more accurate to call that instrumental pop)
    Brecker Brothers -- Heavy Metal Bebop
    Steps Ahead -- Steps Ahead
    Mark Johnson/Bass Desires (the first one with Frisell and Sco)
    John Scofield -- Groovelation; some earlier stuff, like Still Warm grabbed me back in the day, but I don't have any of that music in my head anymore.

Then there's the whole "what is fusion?" question, which makes any such list a bit tricky:
    Metheny -- I guess early stuff like Bright Size Life and the first PMG album count as fusion. But I'd say say he veered off into a genre unto himself pretty early in the game.
    Joni Mitchell in the Court and Spark -> Mingus period?
    Larry Carlton? Robben Ford? Don't really know how to categorize those guys.
    Little Feat - Time Loves a Hero?

In any event, any excuse to name some faves and learn about others' works for me.

John

User Info Menu

John,

+1

User Info Menu

Try this Chick Corea album.
    Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy - Wikipedia
    I still play my vinyl copy occasionally. I heard the band live with Earl Klugh on guitar during a brief transition between Connors and Di Meola. I don't know of any recordings of the group with Klugh, but I was impressed enough to buy a couple of Earl Klugh albums after the show.

User Info Menu

I have almost all the albums mentioned. I was (and am) a big fusion fan, though nowadays I find some of them to be more showcases for long and self-indulgent solos than music by a real "band".

What I think makes WR stand out is the fact that each contributes almost equally to their sound, each musician could be considered among the best if not the very best in the world at the time, and their music is so organic. It has hints of older big band jazz, while incorporating world rhythms and sounds and even ambient.

Listen to their take on Rockin' in the Rhythm for example.

Plus you can dance to it. I like Mahavishnu and RTC as well, but for the most part they're not exactly groove-oriented records.

I enjoy all the WR eras including Miroslav Vitous as well. They were able to stay relevant and inventive for much longer than most bands, including the fusion bands mentioned above.

User Info Menu

My favorite Weather Report LP is " I sing the Body Electric"

User Info Menu

Greatest fusion album of all time? Hmm?

"Light as a Feather" Return to Forever

"Bitches Brew" Miles Davis

"Headhunters" Herbie Hancock

Those are the three albums in the top one. I can't pick. If I REALLY had to pick one, it would be "Light as a Feather." No guitar, but fantastic charts, fantastic playing, and eerily haunting singing by Flora Purim. Stanley Clarke arrives as a composer, as well as a formidable bass player. Great album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Greatest fusion album of all time? Hmm?

"Light as a Feather" Return to Forever

"Bitches Brew" Miles Davis

"Headhunters" Herbie Hancock

Those are the three albums in the top one. I can't pick. If I REALLY had to pick one, it would be "Light as a Feather." No guitar, but fantastic charts, fantastic playing, and eerily haunting singing by Flora Purim. Stanley Clarke arrives as a composer, as well as a formidable bass player. Great album.
    I literally listened to all 3 of these albums yesterday...

It's probably wrong to say something is THE best when there are so many contenders. The only point I would make is that the albums above seem to reflect mainly the vision of their leaders, whereas Weather Report seems much more of a collaborative effort.

WR gets a lot of elements from Herbie (groove-oriented) and Miles (experimental soundscapes).

Of course many of the guys in these groups played with Miles, so it's no wonder they would borrow ideas from each other.

User Info Menu

It would be something by Holdsworth for me probably or possibly Scott Henderson with Tribal Tech.

Otherwise of the more commonly cited albums, it's probably Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu.

User Info Menu

Stevie coulda put them all out of business if he had wanted to.....

User Info Menu

I have many of the albums mentioned in this thread but realized I unfortunately do not own any Weather Report. Any opinions on which one I should get first? I would prefer to have Jaco on the first one I get and then later dig deeper for pre- Jaco. Thank you!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by closeenough
    I have many of the albums mentioned in this thread but realized I unfortunately do not own any Weather Report. Any opinions on which one I should get first? I would prefer to have Jaco on the first one I get and then later dig deeper for pre- Jaco. Thank you!!

My vote would be for Heavy Weather

User Info Menu

Best fusion record ever? This was a fusion of two unexpected elements ...

User Info Menu

I listened to this playlist at the gym today:

Best fusion album ever?-screen-shot-2017-01-17-9-27-43-pm-png

Stevie's on there. I LOVE that song.

Re' Weather Report, Heavy Weather is IMO a perfect album. Should be in everyone's record collection.

User Info Menu

I'm with the Miroslav fans: the best WR is Mysterious Traveler.

User Info Menu

A thread on fusion and you all missed Larry Coryell, the father of Fusion guitar? My vote would be Larry's album "Spaces"

User Info Menu

Heavy Weather was the first fusion album I bought that I liked. "Havana", "Teen Town", "A Remark You Made" ... great stuff there.