The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 386

User Info Menu

"The best guitar player I’ve heard in maybe my entire life is floating around now, Pasquale Grasso. This guy is doing something so amazingly musical and so difficult.Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs) What’s interesting about Pasquale is that he doesn’t sound anything like that at all. In a way, it is a little bit of a throwback, because his model – which is an incredible model to have – is Bud Powell. He has somehow captured the essence of that language from piano onto guitar in a way that almost nobody has ever addressed. He’s the most significant new guy I’ve heard in many, many years. That’s exciting for me."

-Pat Metheny

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    "Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs)"

-Pat Metheny
    Wow! Did he just nail the current state of affairs or what?

User Info Menu

"Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs) "
    -Pat Metheny
    I resent...uh...resemble that remark

User Info Menu

I hesitate to use the term "best" for anything but I can't think of anyone better applying most criteria.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Haha me too! I'll shamelessly copy those guys all day long if I could! Sadly most of the time I don't sound like them.

User Info Menu

I googled and found the interview NSJ cited

Pat Metheny | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

it's a good read. It's mostly oriented towards his guitar collection, but there are a few interesting tidbits about music there too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    Wow! Did he just nail the current state of affairs or what?
    he was close but he left out rosenwinkel ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    he was close but he left out rosenwinkel ;-)
    and Lage Lund...;-)

User Info Menu

The guy is astounding.

User Info Menu

One word "virtuoso"

User Info Menu

"The best guitar player I’ve heard in maybe my entire life is floating around now, Pasquale Grasso. This guy is doing something so amazingly musical and so difficult.Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs) What’s interesting about Pasquale is that he doesn’t sound anything like that at all. In a way, it is a little bit of a throwback, because his model – which is an incredible model to have – is Bud Powell. He has somehow captured the essence of that language from piano onto guitar in a way that almost nobody has ever addressed. He’s the most significant new guy I’ve heard in many, many years. That’s exciting for me."

-Pat Metheny
    I made Pasquale laugh.

User Info Menu

well my opinion of pat metheny just went through the roof

the first time i heard pasquale grasso it was obvious to me he was the best guitarist i had ever heard

but i'm a bud powell and charlie parker freak

(i hope that does not make me too unusual)

the technique is invisible despite making every one else seem like a guitar-klutz - its got NOTHING to do with the technique. he has made pure be-bop come to life on the guitar

after the first improvised chorus of this blues i knew everything had changed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    well my opinion of pat metheny just went through the roof

the first time i heard pasquale grasso it was obvious to me he was the best guitarist i had ever heard

but i'm a bud powell and charlie parker freak

(i hope that does not make me too unusual)

the technique is invisible despite making every one else seem like a guitar-klutz - its got NOTHING to do with the technique. he has made pure be-bop come to life on the guitar

after the first improvised chorus of this blues i knew everything had changed

Beautiful post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The guy is astounding.

Bud Powell - and dare I say Nat King Cole (pre vocals) - is there in the lines and chops but also the tone. Sounds like a record from the 40s. Wow.

User Info Menu

"When I was about nine in Lee’s Summit, I was still into baseball and throwing rocks at girls at that point."

that's funny, that's what I used to do......I'm glad it worked out for him.....

"I had a paper route throughout those years, and I told my parents, “I think I want to get a guitar.” For them, that was like, “I think I’m going to join the devil worship church down the street. Is that okay?” They said, “No, you’re not. You’re not going to play electric guitar.” So that made me really want to do it."

Excellent!
    Last edited by Eric Rowland; 01-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    The guy is astounding.

I was gonna say that I loved PG's solo guitar things, and wasn't crazy about his Chuck Wayne bass pickup approach to single line playing, but that clip had enough percussive picking to make it swing like mad.

His LH is just sick; probably from his CG studies.

I'm gonna call the Immigration Bureau to get this boy deported back to Italy where he belongs; America is having enough self-esteem problems with having just elected a man with the brain of a cockroach...

User Info Menu

Good grief. There are as many people visible in the audience as there are on stage. In New York! I'm not surprised when that happens here (Minneapolis- St. Paul) because there's less than half as many people to begin with. But jeepers. Players of this caliber and no audience; it's tragic!

User Info Menu

Well, of course he takes off on Art Tatum's famous version of Yesterdays--still the best ever performed, in my opinion. PG swings it more after the intro, showing the influence of the later beboppers.

Converting stride piano into guitar is devilishly difficult. He makes it look easy.

(I've commented elsewhere that this live version by Tatum is note-for-note identical to his studio recording, which is interesting for someone so renowned for his virtuosity in jazz.)

User Info Menu

Apparently, Pasquale also teaches counterpoint, as applied to the guitar. I'm all videoed and booked out for a while, but that is the one video/book I would not even remotely hesitate to pick up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    His LH is just sick; probably from his CG studies.

What is CG?

Anyhowdy I call that LH "spider fingers". Damn!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Lol, me too. Though for me it's actually true, I love a modern tone, but my ears aren't big enough to hear what the hell guys like Gilad and JK and Moreno are doing, so I cop locks from Kenny Burrell and Green and CC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    What is CG?

Classical guitar.

Or Computer Graphics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    That left-handed player next to him is pretty good, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Good grief. There are as many people visible in the audience as there are on stage. In New York! I'm not surprised when that happens here (Minneapolis- St. Paul) because there's less than half as many people to begin with. But jeepers. Players of this caliber and no audience; it's tragic!
    he's at the same spot tmmr night.
    i'll go check it.. and bring some people too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    What is CG?

Use of acronymes is what I dislike the most at this forum. Usually it is for someone's name, or title of the song, but just as usually I have no idea what it is about.
    In fact, maybe there's one worse thing, when they address some public person by their first name, like I'm supposed to know each and every Peter, Jane, or Joe.

VladanMovies BlogSpot