The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Okay, lawson-stone, you convinced me. I got all the Jimmy Raney play alongs in one set (duets, standards, solos).

I listened to the whole lesson David B posted again. There's a part where Jimmy talks about what seems to be metric modulation. He mentions 3/8 over 4 or 5 over 4. Besides what Mike Longo talks about in his conversations with Dizzy Gillespie, I didn't know that metric modulation made it's way into bebop circles that much. I hear it a lot in "cool" and hardbop as well as "post bop"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Irez87,
    Have only managed to hear the first 20 minutes of the Raney lesson, but I don't think what he does amounts to metric modulation. He is still playing straight 8ths, but talks about extending the lines beyond the single bar and avoiding accenting heavy downbeats all the time. In other words, it's a question of phrasing/grouping his eighth notes and accenting notes so that they are displaced in relation to the downbeats. E.g. by repeating a motif consisting of three eighth notes, so the repeat starts on the 2-and (if the beginning starts on the 1) (in this example he plays a line of 3+3+2 notes to complete a bar of 4 beats). But in the end, he's still playing eighth notes (rather than, say, quintuplets or something that is not a subdivision of the quarter notes). Perhaps it makes more sense to see these ideas as examples of forward motion rather than metric modulation...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Okay, lawson-stone, you convinced me. I got all the Jimmy Raney play alongs in one set (duets, standards, solos).

I listened to the whole lesson David B posted again. There's a part where Jimmy talks about what seems to be metric modulation. He mentions 3/8 over 4 or 5 over 4. Besides what Mike Longo talks about in his conversations with Dizzy Gillespie, I didn't know that metric modulation made it's way into bebop circles that much. I hear it a lot in "cool" and hardbop as well as "post bop"
    I recommend starting with the solos set and take on "Like Somebody" (based on "Like Someone In Love"). It's the slowest of the solos, which allows a focus on phrasing and articulation, how the time works, etc. It also has a lot of Raney's signature phrases and devices. For me also, the slower tempo was all I could handle. He can really blister, and some of these solos are quite fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    Irez87,
    Have only managed to hear the first 20 minutes of the Raney lesson, but I don't think what he does amounts to metric modulation. He is still playing straight 8ths, but talks about extending the lines beyond the single bar and avoiding accenting heavy downbeats all the time. In other words, it's a question of phrasing/grouping his eighth notes and accenting notes so that they are displaced in relation to the downbeats. E.g. by repeating a motif consisting of three eighth notes, so the repeat starts on the 2-and (if the beginning starts on the 1) (in this example he plays a line of 3+3+2 notes to complete a bar of 4 beats). But in the end, he's still playing eighth notes (rather than, say, quintuplets or something that is not a subdivision of the quarter notes). Perhaps it makes more sense to see these ideas as examples of forward motion rather than metric modulation...
    Yes that is how I recall the ‘lesson’ (I have heard it before), this is also what I meant by the irregular note groupings in his Aebersold solos book.

User Info Menu

There's a brownburst Hofner AZ Award guitar up for sale today on Reverb.com - a snip at £3,605-00 ! Jimmy Raney's actual blonde AZ Award guitar was on sale on E-Bay.De (Germany) a few months back too - I think at around £5.5k GBP. It had the gold-plated signature nameplate on front of headstock, and appears to have sold, though not quickly.

Online sources say the first model to appear was the Hofner AZ Standard, morphing some years later into the AZ Award, accompanied then by the lower spec., shorter scale AZ Special, plus the thinline, centre-block AZ Fusion & AZ Fusion Midi models - apparently less than a dozen AZ Fusions being made. I do remember reading somewhere that some thirty-something AZ Awards were made - they do occasionally come up for sale on E-Bay, Reverb, G.Base & RareandVintage, maybe one or two a year.

Copyright issues dissuaded me from uploading Hofner.Gmbh photos, but there are plenty online, on Hofner's own archive website & on various owners'/enthusiasts' websites, e.g. vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/archtops.

Jimmy Raney's records are well-known and 'out there' in quantity; less so Attila's, I think. It is still possible to buy the wonderful 1997 solo acoustic guitar CD 'Lasting Love' by Attila on Peter Finger's Acoustic-Music label (acoustic-music.de) for 14.80 Euros plus delivery. Around 36 minutes of magical, beautifully recorded, forward-looking music - with the odd grunt, sigh, finger scrape and laugh picked up by the mike too. Attila's is an often demanding, sophisticated, harmonically idiosyncratic and complex music - but a fantastic personal and guitaristic achievement, and with some great simpler melodic pieces included too - like the classic, Metheny-covered 'The Birds And The Bees'.

Get to know this recording - it's a milestone in jazz guitar history.

Jimmy Raney's Guitar-lasting-love-attila-zoller-jpg

User Info Menu

zoller -raney

zoller had some prime recordings with pianist don friedman..killer stuff

zoller was also tight with the great pickup scientist bill lawrence..the az pickup came from that union

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QsDuesBlues
    There's a brownburst Hofner AZ Award guitar up for sale today on Reverb.com - a snip at £3,605-00 ! Jimmy Raney's actual blonde AZ Award guitar was on sale on E-Bay.De (Germany) a few months back too - I think at around £5.5k GBP. It had the gold-plated signature nameplate on front of headstock, and appears to have sold, though not quickly.

Online sources say the first model to appear was the Hofner AZ Standard, morphing some years later into the AZ Award, accompanied then by the lower spec., shorter scale AZ Special, plus the thinline, centre-block AZ Fusion & AZ Fusion Midi models - apparently less than a dozen AZ Fusions being made. I do remember reading somewhere that some thirty-something AZ Awards were made - they do occasionally come up for sale on E-Bay, Reverb, G.Base & RareandVintage, maybe one or two a year.

Copyright issues dissuaded me from uploading Hofner.Gmbh photos, but there are plenty online, on Hofner's own archive website & on various owners'/enthusiasts' websites, e.g. vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/archtops.

Jimmy Raney's records are well-known and 'out there' in quantity; less so Attila's, I think. It is still possible to buy the wonderful 1997 solo acoustic guitar CD 'Lasting Love' by Attila on Peter Finger's Acoustic-Music label (acoustic-music.de) for 14.80 Euros plus delivery. Around 36 minutes of magical, beautifully recorded, forward-looking music - with the odd grunt, sigh, finger scrape and laugh picked up by the mike too. Attila's is an often demanding, sophisticated, harmonically idiosyncratic and complex music - but a fantastic personal and guitaristic achievement, and with some great simpler melodic pieces included too - like the classic, Metheny-covered 'The Birds And The Bees'.

Get to know this recording - it's a milestone in jazz guitar history.

Jimmy Raney's Guitar-lasting-love-attila-zoller-jpg
    I took free group lessons with Attila in NYC with their Jazz Interactions program. I was still in high school, but he changed my whole approach to improvisation. Great dude!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    zoller -raney

zoller had some prime recordings with pianist don friedman..killer stuff

zoller was also tight with the great pickup scientist bill lawrence..the az pickup came from that union

cheers
    That's right - pleased to say that I've got 'em, including the Hat Hut 'Thingin' recording. (nice posted vid by the way)

And there's one Grant Green 'mistake' that's been re-issued down the years ever since occurring on one of those old dodgy 1970's Italian 'Il Giganti del Jazz' vinyl lps (a large series of interesting but copyright-dubious often live recordings) - on the final "bonus tracks' of 'Grant Green - Gooden's Corner' - it's actually Attila Zoller and (probably) Don Friedman plus drummer playing, not Grant Green at all! (I recognise the Zoller tune but can't place the title).

Amazing that no one's noticed - and the mistake's been re-issued a few times over the years, most recently I think on ESSENTIAL JAZZ CLASSICS EJC55636. Take's a fan to spot it!