The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Hey dudes,

I was under the impression that Raney played mostly on a 175, but i've seen him play this on his masterclass videos on youtube, and on this little clip, what do you guys think it is, I have no clue.

Merry Christmas!
    Oz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pretty sure that I heard, maybe even read it here somewhere, that he played a Hofner later in his career. (Maybe in the thread about his son.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    Hey dudes,

I was under the impression that Raney played mostly on a 175, but i've seen him play this on his masterclass videos on youtube, and on this little clip, what do you guys think it is, I have no clue.

Merry Christmas!
    Oz
    It's an Attila Zoller model built by Hofner. The earlier ones (such as Raney's) had Zoller's name on the headstock.

User Info Menu

When I saw Raney play back in the 80s, I asked him what happened to the Gibson, and he said it was stolen out of the trunk of his guitar when he lived in Jamaica, Queens.
    That was a long time ago, because he left NY back in the 60s.

I met Peter Leitch once, and he said he had the same AZ model.

PL said there were only three AZ model guitars made.

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    It's an Attila Zoller model built by Hofner. The earlier ones (such as Raney's) had Zoller's name on the headstock.

thanks a lot man!

That really sucks to hear that. Thanks for that story!

Oz

User Info Menu

jimmy's #1 guitar in his early years, until it was left behind/stolen in a cab, was a (noncutaway) gibson es 125

Jimmy Raney's Guitar-complete-recordings-1954-1956-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Some good footage here of Jimmy playing his 175 in 1980 with Attila Zoller:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    jimmy's #1 guitar in his early years, until it was left behind/stolen in a cab, was a (noncutaway) gibson es 125

cheers
    Very cool to see a very young Phil Woods on the cover of that Raney LP. Two of the greatest Bird-influenced jazz musicians that ever lived; Raney and Woods. They misspelled Hall Overton's first name.
    Yeah, I knew it wasn't a 175, so that's why I just said Gibson in my post.
    I think I asked Jimmy why he wasn't playing his Charlie Christian Model Gibson when I saw him, and that was the one that he said was stolen from his trunk in Jamaica.
    Speaking of leaving instruments behind in cabs, trains, buses etc... the accordionist Mat Matthews had a reputation for leaving a slew of amplifiers on subways when he lived in NYC!
    This thread made me look at the covers of all the Raney LPs I bought, and he was playing a few different guitars on some of the LPs in the 70s.
    I couldn't tell what guitars they were.

User Info Menu

Weird Gibson with 3 pickups and an unsightly mess of tape on the 'Solo' album cover:

Jimmy Raney's Guitar-img_0088-jpg
    Last edited by grahambop; 12-25-2016 at 07:39 AM.

You guys are great.

Thanks for the replies.

Raney's playing is great, his articulation second to none in my opinion, sounds so fluid. That's one of the hardest things I'm facing right now is being able to sound fluid on guitar, it's so hard! More Transcribing is in order me thinks..

Merry Xmas!
    Oz

User Info Menu

Hi Don,

You may enjoy this recording I have of a private lesson with Jimmy Raney. It came to me via a friend a couple of years ago. I don't know the student or when it was recorded but probably the '80s, as Raney talks the student through one of the solos from his Aebersold book.
    Dropbox - Jimmy_Raney_Lesson.mp3

Happy Christmas to my fellow Raney fans!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz

The full episode of that show is available as a modestly-priced rental from the original host/producer on Vimeo: Watch The Guitar Show Series Online | Vimeo On Demand on Vimeo

Hi Don,

You may enjoy this recording I have of a private lesson with Jimmy Raney. It came to me via a friend a couple of years ago. I don't know the student or when it was recorded but probably the '80s, as Raney talks the student through one of the solos from his Aebersold book.

Why, thank you good sir. Very kind of you!

Cheers,
    Oz

User Info Menu

Hi Don,

You may enjoy this recording I have of a private lesson with Jimmy Raney.

hey thanks for that drop db..very interesting listen...great to hear the master raney expounding

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    That's a 150, actually, like Charlie Christian's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's a 150, actually, like Charlie Christian's.
    right!! (brain freeze)... thanks

still with it in '64

Jimmy Raney's Guitar-db56f43e34b7b11f06e0c6737c5c0b8f-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Apart from Jimmy's guitar, Pat Metheny has one that was owned by Attila Zoller, Peter Leitch has one that Jimmy used to borrow when he was in New York to save carting his up to the city, and the head of Attila's jazz school has the fourth. Very rare.

User Info Menu

Hi Don,

I'm a huge fan of Jimmy's and would love to hear this. The link doesn't seem to be working anymore. Is there a way someone could repost it? I would appreciate it very much!!

User Info Menu

Hi Brian,
    I'll keep this link up for a couple of days.
    Dropbox - Jimmy Raney lesson.mp3 - Simplify your life

User Info Menu

I'll keep this link up for a couple of days.
    Dropbox - Jimmy Raney lesson.mp3 - Simplify your life
    i got it the first time...it's a great lesson!

thanks again david B

cheers

User Info Menu

Wow, I felt like Raney was talking to me directly.

I recorded some lessons from great teachers over the years, but I won't put it up on the internet because that wouldn't be cool with them--you know?

That said, Raney's explanation of flat footed vs. square on vocabulary was JUST what I needed to hear right now in my own development.

5 beat cells, I'm gonna try that right now! What a brilliant mind Jimmy Raney was...

Thanks David B!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I recorded some lessons from great teachers over the years, but I won't put it up on the internet because that wouldn't be cool with them--you know?
    I quite agree. This Raney lesson however has been in circulation amongst jazz guitar fans for years - that's how it came to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Wow, I felt like Raney was talking to me directly.

That said, Raney's explanation of flat footed vs. square on vocabulary was JUST what I needed to hear right now in my own development.

5 beat cells, I'm gonna try that right now! What a brilliant mind Jimmy Raney was...

Thanks David B!
    The Aebersold solos book which Jimmy Raney did has lots of great examples of these approaches, e.g. playing across barlines, anticipating or delaying changes, irregular note groupings, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The Aebersold solos book which Jimmy Raney did has lots of great examples of these approaches, e.g. playing across barlines, anticipating or delaying changes, irregular note groupings, etc.
    Best study I ever did was learning a bunch of those solos. It is taking a very long time for the ideas in the solos to get into my playing, because they are meaty, grown-up, real bebop ideas. But playing those solos puts you in touch with a brilliant bop player and some of his most classic lines.