Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

Zombie thread resurrection
    Lenny
    RIP

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lenny stayed with me for a short while when I was living in Vancouver (1973). He was using heavily but respected my home and did not bring his troubles through the front door.

He was a troubled but gentle soul and even in those days had 'hangers on' on looking for a piece of him.

Like many of the best guitarists his technique was his own but to me he was the Steve Gadd of the guitar and could play anything, anywhere. He had what I called a photographic ear and though not a 'chartist' could remember a piece note for note after one hearing....quite astonishing.

Luigi

User Info Menu

I met Lenny in Santa Barbara where he began showing up regularly for a few months at a time starting in the late '70s. I used to work at a club called Baudelaire's and practiced my Bill Thrasher Jazz lessons there in the daytime when the club was closed. Lenny was very approachable and generous with his time and advice to the legions of guitar players who considered themselves to be his acolytes. His wife sat in the front row and helped him remember the titles of the songs he was playing.

By the '80s I was back in school and working as a cook at a 'trendy' restaurant on State Street called the Metro Cafe. Lenny played occasional gigs there. After finishing a shift I'd sit in the bar and listen to him play with a small group. Most of the audience treated him like background music to their own adventuring. He seemed to be in good shape and was playing beautifully. He left town soon after that and turned up dead in the pool. What a shame.

When people gushed over his playing he'd say. "They say I sound like an angel but look like a devil".
    Last edited by mhc100; 01-16-2015 at 12:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Not sure if anyone brought up murder as being drug dealer related. Maybe Len couldn't afford his own habit and racked up too many IOUs. Maybe they'd gotten fed up with his large debt and drowned him in the roof pool..By a very very odd coincidence I went with a friend to Pasadena from Los Angeles. He was returning something to someone (can't remember what. Must have been 25 years ago) The girl we'd visited, who looked, in the eyes, allot like Willie Nelson's, wound up telling us she had been Lenny Breau's girlfriend !!! This conversation, of course, was years after Breau's death..But it was so eerie to hear this, out of the blue...Can't remember though, what started this conversation to begin with..! And in Pasadena ....not L.A.....Odd coincidence, huh? !
    P.S. In respect to Lenny, please skip the Willie Nelson jokes.
    Last edited by MarkInLA; 02-06-2016 at 07:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Tragic story. Difficult to know, in some cases , if some people have been denied posthumous justice, due to the complex nature of their personal lives preventing thorough examination into the circumstances of their death. Chet Bakers' is another story that springs to mind.

On a related note though, sometimes the mysterious circumstances can be quite clearly explained. I came across an interesting comment relating to the death of the tenor saxophonist Wardell Gray, another individual with addiction problems who died in unexplained circumstances. For those who don't know the story, Gray's body was found in the desert on the outskirts of Las Vegas. His neck had been broken. However it seems at least one interviewer has known the truth since the late 80's, as detailed in the footnotes at the end of this solography on page 37.

http://www.wardellgray.org/pdfdocume...Solography.pdf

User Info Menu

I think this mystery would be ripe for a Serial or Making a Murderer type documentary.

User Info Menu

Just read the book "One Long Tune". Two things come to mind with regards to Lenny and his wife.
    First, 'Intimate Partner Violence', men and women have been killing each other for a long, long time. Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been studying it for 10 years now-scary stuff. About 3,000 people are killed each year by husbands, wives, boyfriend and girlfriends. Alcohol and drugs are often involved. Check out their website it's all there.
    Second, Jewel Breau was a Critical Care Nurse (Intensive Care Nurse). That is an individual with access to certain drugs, not available elsewhere. For example, succinylcholine...a drug that is controlled by the USDA (not DEA) therefore wholly unregulated, and there for the stealing. An MD colleague of mine was done in by his wife in just this fashion. Vials of Sux have been rolling around in Intensive Care refrigerators for 50 years-and guess what-the drug is still unregulated and readily available.
    The drug is untraceable and kills by vocal cord paralysis (i.e., suffication). Lenny was likely dead before Jewel went church that morning-remember she needed an alibi. If you recall, Jewel also told cops he Lenny "thought" he was going to die soon, " had thoughts of death" etc-priming the cops and the brain-dead Medical Examiner for "suicide". Once the body is moved to ME's office, you no longer have a murder scene. Very quickly, Medical Examiners find themselves on the losing side of the equation. Think Kurt Cobain, Jon Benet Ramsey, etc, etc.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by srvrip41
    Just read the book "One Long Tune". Two things come to mind with regards to Lenny and his wife.
    First, 'Intimate Partner Violence', men and women have been killing each other for a long, long time. Center for Disease Control (CDC) has been studying it for 10 years now-scary stuff. About 3,000 people are killed each year by husbands, wives, boyfriend and girlfriends. Alcohol and drugs are often involved. Check out their website it's all there.
    Second, Jewel Breau was a Critical Care Nurse (Intensive Care Nurse). That is an individual with access to certain drugs, not available elsewhere. For example, succinylcholine...a drug that is controlled by the USDA (not DEA) therefore wholly unregulated, and there for the stealing. An MD colleague of mine was done in by his wife in just this fashion. Vials of Sux have been rolling around in Intensive Care refrigerators for 50 years-and guess what-the drug is still unregulated and readily available.
    The drug is untraceable and kills by vocal cord paralysis (i.e., suffication). Lenny was likely dead before Jewel went church that morning-remember she needed an alibi. If you recall, Jewel also told cops he Lenny "thought" he was going to die soon, " had thoughts of death" etc-priming the cops and the brain-dead Medical Examiner for "suicide". Once the body is moved to ME's office, you no longer have a murder scene. Very quickly, Medical Examiners find themselves on the losing side of the equation. Think Kurt Cobain, Jon Benet Ramsey, etc, etc.

Cheers
    Interesting thoughts there, srv. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Tragic story. Difficult to know, in some cases , if some people have been denied posthumous justice, due to the complex nature of their personal lives preventing thorough examination into the circumstances of their death. Chet Bakers' is another story that springs to mind.

On a related note though, sometimes the mysterious circumstances can be quite clearly explained. I came across an interesting comment relating to the death of the tenor saxophonist Wardell Gray, another individual with addiction problems who died in unexplained circumstances. For those who don't know the story, Gray's body was found in the desert on the outskirts of Las Vegas. His neck had been broken. However it seems at least one interviewer has known the truth since the late 80's, as detailed in the footnotes at the end of this solography on page 37.

http://www.wardellgray.org/pdfdocume...Solography.pdf
    Thank you. I've always been a big Wardell fan. I never knew the last part. I knew he was found dead in the Las Vegas desert.

User Info Menu

I'm not a follower of LB conspiracy theories but why did his wife want him dead? Was he just a PITA drug addict and she tired of his shinnanigans or insurance or he double crossed her or she/he was abusive and he threatened to go to the cops or threatened to go on tour with the wrong band? Sorry but I think the answers are somewhere up the thread. I've read most of this thread long ago but I don't have the patience at the moment. But I AM interested!

User Info Menu

Let me just start by saying thank you so much for your comment. It really means a lot to my mother and I. I am Lenny and Jewel Breau's Daughter.

I agree one hundred percent with you, and I'm glad someone who actually knew my parents, has the guts to tell the truth and how it really was. For that i am grateful. I would love to touch base with you and possibly collaborate on some music here in the near future. As I am working on some various music projects personally as well as trying to clean up this mess of unrightfully released music, albums, books etc of my parents.

Also working on my own documentary and some cool music projects incorporating both my parents music along with my own. Thank you once again. Please stay in touch. I love to meet fans, friends of my parents, and positive forces in the industry.

Dawn-Marie Breau

User Info Menu

This goes out to all of the warm and friendly commentators. First of all let me start by saying I am Lenny and Jewel breau's daughter. Secondly My mother is NO murderer. She loved my father very much. They had their ups and downs like any couple does. However my mother stuck by his side through all the drinking and hangups he had. He loved my mother very much.

My mother went into a deep depression losing my father. For years I just remember her crying and asking God why did this happen? It was extremely difficult for her to not only lose my father so tragically but on top of it all, to deal with peoples heartless and rude comments and outrageous allegations. She also forfeited her career because of this depression. She didn't even want to go on living but she had to raise me and be there for family. Can you imagine coming home and being told that your husband is dead. Then someone accusing you of doing it?

Well I was there. Me and my mother were at church that morning, when we came home, they told us the tragic news. He had been drinking (finished almost a fifth of vodka) that morning and went swimming. This is how he would cope and relax. So I believe he went peacefully.

Anyway my mother had to be strong for me, like she has been her entire life. Struggle after struggle loss after loss. She has endured a great amount of pain, yet made it through. Strongest woman I know.

If anyone has any questions involving my mother and father Id be happy to answer them as best as I can. My mother isn't very internet savvy and has only recently encountered these ridiculous comments on the internet concerning my father.

There are also a lot of people releasing albums, books etc of my mothers and fathers music. It is my goal to regain rights and royalties on these. Also working on my own music and documentary.

Any kind and positive comments regarding my parents would be appreciated. If anyone knew either of my parents and have a kind word or memory i'd love to speak with you. My father would want his legacy to impact people positively.

My mother had a rough life and for once Id like to see her happy and not struggling to get by, while others fill their pockets and benefit off of my mother and father. A copy write is a copy write.

Thank you Dawn Breau

*You can check out a few videos ive posted on my channel. I would appreciate the likes and shares, thanks again to all of our friends and fans. Couldnt do it without you.

Hi Dawn, so wonderful to hear from you! You have many friends here, your father was one of the all time greats and forums like this one aim to keep reminding the world of such (not that the Jazz world needs reminding - the music speaks for itself!). Before others welcome you and share stories (unfortunately I have none), might I suggest that you include links to your site(s) so that we can visit? Like your mother, some of us here aren't so internet savvy either!

Best Regards, pp

User Info Menu

We still have the sparse body of work he left for us to appreciate him with.
    RIP Lenny

User Info Menu

I think Lenny had four children. It was daughter Emily Hughes who produced “The Genius of Lenny Breau in 1999.
    The Genius of Lenny Breau (1999) - Plot Summary - IMDb

User Info Menu

Yes, an interesting movie. Both it and the book "One Long Tune" present Jewel as the primary suspect in Lenny's murder. The book portrays her as physically and emotionally abusive to Lenny. Both the movie and the book portray Lenny as a functionally vulnerable man ill-equipped to deal with the normal demands of life effectively. Jewel is apparently the LAPD's only suspect; since there has been no prosecution or conviction, it can be assumed there is not a strong enough direct or circumstantial case for the DA to act upon. Arguably Lenny's drug addiction(s) would have brought him into repeated contact with less-than-honorable people in many places in the US and Canada. Only Lenny's murderer knows (or knew, given how long ago this was; the murderer might no longer be alive) the truth.

The greatest loss is of course for Lenny's family and personal friends. Best wishes and peace to them!

User Info Menu

My jazz teacher, Raj Rathor, was a student of Lenny's, and to me he had nothing but praise for him as a musician and as a man. While I'm not a big fan of Lenny's music, I do feel a little connection through Raj to him.

Raj never talked about the circumstances of Lenny's death, although from what I've read online he seems to have had some insight to his later days. I know little about the circumstances of Lenny's death and have nothing to offer. I listen to his music sometimes and get enjoyment.

I hope the families of both these deceased musicians find peace in the knowledge that their lifelong dedication to music has shed seeds on the fertile soil of many, many other musicians. In that sense, they live on.

User Info Menu

"copyright" - not ' copy write '

the YT video of Dawn-Marie Breau is apparently of a relatively young lady, who would have had to have been a small child when Lenny Breau was murdered; sometimes we remember things wrongly when we were so young . . .

The book states many incidences of violence between the couple and Lenny's telling friends he thought his wife was crazy and dangerous. So much verbal testimony is hard to ignore.

From what I have read, LB had four children - a son, Chet, and three daughters, one of which, Melody, died in 2014. Chet and Melody were the children of his first wife Valerie. Erica Hughes looks just like Joanne Glasscock - who changed her name to "Jewel Taylor" - so if she is convinced her mom did it, that is pretty telling.

Reading about this woman's psycho-attacks against Lenny in a bar in front of people - knocking over a table and charging the stage - shows me that no matter how "helpful" she may have been to control LB's drug and alcohol intake and so forth, that alone is not ruling out the idea of a crime of passion - a fight could easily have occurred - she didn't need to strangle him with her bare hands - the coroner's report says "strangled" - there isn't a statement online saying HOW - done with a belt, a rope/cord?

User Info Menu

Probably one of the extra horrors of a situation like this is that, for the families and survivors, the motivations and choices and actions are picked apart by armchair experts (like me) and blame is apportioned... by people who've never met anyone actually involved.

Dawn-Marie,

I had only a brief exposure to Lenny and Jewel. I grew up in Stockton, CA, and remember them as newcomers to our church (at the time) around 1980 (Pastor Eugene Kraft). I was a classical player, and he and jewel would play/sing from time to time during the services. Their music was so beautiful, it could make you cry. And his seven string classical was super cool to me (a high school student at the time). I went off to college and only saw him on rare occaisions when I would come home to visit. When I learned of his death, I was very saddened. There were rumors of substance misuse.

I went on to grad school and a professional career in healthcare. Now, part of my job involves helping those struggling with addiction. Decades later, I contintued in the classical and jazz guitar traditions. I played some of Lenny's arrangements. My son grew up hearing and listening to that music. He went on to music grad school in Boston, finishing in improvisational jazz at the New England Conservatory. He plays the guitar and is now a professional musician in New York. Interesting how interwoven all our lives are. I wish you peace.

Andrew

Hi,
    There is no mystery to Chet Bakers death at all. Little Jimmy Scott was there, and I'm pretty certain Tom Schnabel knows this too. Chet was in the Hotel lobby on the make with a lady and had apparently made plans to go out. He darted upstairs to his room for his coat or something, came back down briefly and said I'm locked out of my room. Someone said something like get the concierge to let you in and Chet said, I've been climbing in buildings for 30 years. The room next door is open, I knocked but no one was there, I'll just duck in there and climb across the balcony. KAAATHUMP. C flat major.
    There were actually a few Americans there that know this besides Jimmy Scott that might still be alive, so how all the flying pigs got off the ground is the real mystery. But must admit them Pigs are the most aerodynamic animals next to birds bats and large eared elephants.Flap flap flap oink oink oink combats the Lark's morning song in many cities.
    He tried, half cut, to climb from one balcony to the next, that may of been easy when he was 30 but stewed and 58 is another ball game entirely. He fell end of story.

User Info Menu

Umm, the thread is about Lenny Breau, not Chet Baker.

User Info Menu

Lenny's death is complicated from a prosecution perspective. The DA didn't feel that there is a tight case apparently.

It is very unusual for a woman to strangle a man to death unless the man is disabled in some way, like drugs, head trauma, or a chronic handicap. Presumably there were no witnesses. Some who know his wife would state how she saved him from his previous wicked ways, loved him, and would not kill him. Lenny's drug problems would be brought up by the defense. Edgy musicians die young all the time due to their shady lifestyles. Etc., etc.

I don't know anything about his police investigation besides what's been written here. But I personally did death investigations with the police as part of my job for many years. There's no prosecution unless there's probability of conviction. People get away with bad stuff every day if they're clever or lucky.

I love Lenny's work and am saddened by both his life and death. So I mean no disrespect with this video. But the video came to mind as I read this thread.

User Info Menu

This thread recently celebrated its tenth birthday.

User Info Menu

He positively did not commit suicide. I’ve never ever heard that suggested until reading it here. All facts show that Lenny was murdered.