The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I think such a fabulous improviser deserves a thread of his own...

Do the idiosyncrasies of his style limit your appreciation of his playing?
    Last edited by Fidelcaster; 11-03-2016 at 04:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Noy is a fantastic player. I think some parts of the public like to be able to pin down the artists they listen to and Noy can be hard to categorize. Is it jazz, funk, fusion, etc? I love him for it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    Do idiosyncrasies of his style limit your appreciation of his playing?
    On the contrary. Makes me appreciate him more.

User Info Menu

Not much love for Oz, or am I just late at the party?

User Info Menu

I dig his playing a lot! I think he is one of a few modern players who brings rock, funk, and blues sounds and approaches to jazz. I mean it was more widespread in a previous generation, but these days it's all cerebral, 'dreamy' tendency in jazz guitar that I personally can't connect with... But Oz Noy is cool in my book, I dont know why he's not getting a lot of love here, beats me...

User Info Menu

Here playing a well-known standard at a seminar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I dig his playing a lot! I think he is one of a few modern players who brings rock, funk, and blues sounds and approaches to jazz. I mean it was more widespread in a previous generation, but these days it's all cerebral, 'dreamy' tendency in jazz guitar that I personally can't connect with... But Oz Noy is cool in my book, I dont know why he's not getting a lot of love here, beats me...
    I agree with you. Oz is great and has very cerebral lines too but the groove and feel make them work well and more to my liking than the players I bet you have in mind.

User Info Menu

Again in a more traditional, swinging context:

User Info Menu

As a sideman:

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 11-08-2016 at 06:39 AM.

User Info Menu

In this great video, Oz playing some of his "stuff":

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 11-10-2016 at 04:30 AM.

User Info Menu

If he wore a suit and played an archtop, he'd get a different reception. We (me too) hear with our eyes.

User Info Menu

Hey, Kurt doesn't wear a suit either!

User Info Menu

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 11-25-2016 at 04:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I loves me some psychedelic jazz:

User Info Menu

I'm a big Oz Noy fan. He's what 'fusion' would mean if I was in charge. He blends the right variety of influences with great chops and a lot of originality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I'm a big Oz Noy fan. He's what 'fusion' would mean if I was in charge. He blends the right variety of influences with great chops and a lot of originality.
    I agree, but I hear A LOT of bebop in his playing, certainly more than in that of other "mainstream fusion" players. And I like that when he plays bebop he's always "monkishly edgy", never "smooth".

User Info Menu

Awesome video:

User Info Menu

Oz is great! And very original too. I always enjoy hearing him.

User Info Menu

Impressions

User Info Menu

Last edited by Fidelcaster; 04-06-2018 at 04:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    Awesome video:

Wow! I guess I stole the first idea in this video and made a video of it for my students, completely unaware that anyone else had ever done it. Pretty naive on my part, I suppose. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM
    Wow! I guess I stole the first idea in this video and made a video of it for my students, completely unaware that anyone else had ever done it. Pretty naive on my part, I suppose. :-)
    Great minds think alike!

User Info Menu

Hey Everyone -
    I'm new here, and I wanted to chime in to let you know about some new stuff that Oz has played on .... it's my band, called LEVEL5. Here is a tune called "Sybil" that Oz wrote. The video has me on drums, Will Lee on bass and Oz Noy on guitar. Adam Klipple is on keys. Oz's soloing on this is sublime.....here's the video....hope you like it.