The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    "Guitar Forms" is the first album with Kenny Burrell as leader that I listened to and owned. (I still have that vinyl copy.) It's quite a good record.
    It's a great album and one that he obviously put a lot of planning and thought into.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque
    I haven't seen this shot before. It's from a Blue Note session with Jimmy Smith (possibly Midnight Special or Back at the Chicken Shack?).
    It clearly shows a small narrow panel Fender tweed amp to Kenny's left. Could this be the famed RVG Tweed Deluxe?

SaveSave
    The cabinet size looks like a Princeton to me

User Info Menu

Interesting. How can you tell with such a small part of the amp visible?
    Most reports seem to state Rudy Van Gelder had a Deluxe.

User Info Menu

This is seriously piddly, but the Princeton typically has about two grids of grill cover check, then the baffle screw. The Deluxe has three, then the screw.

Looks like a tweed Deluxe, to me, FWIW.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Here's Kenny playing a freakin' flattop, again showing it's all in the fingers. Ain't no pickup on that one...

Though halfway through he does switch over to the Super 400, which does provide a little more chime to his sound.

I love this. It's a flattop and it stills sounds like Kenny!

User Info Menu

This is seriously piddly, but the Princeton typically has about two grids of grill cover check, then the baffle screw. The Deluxe has three, then the screw.

I thought the top of the amp looked to shallow to be a Deluxe but....

The devil's in the detail - you're correct! Deluxe it is

User Info Menu

I thought the top of the cabinet looked to shallow to be a deluxe but.....

The devil's in the detail and you're exactly right about the baffle screw positioning. It is indeed a Deluxe

User Info Menu

Now we just need to find that definitive shot of Kenny at the 'Midnight Blue' session with that CC equipped L-5C plugged into RVGs tweed Deluxe .....

User Info Menu

I find these 'Midnight Blue' session notes interesting.....

SaveSave

User Info Menu

FWIW, if you have ever played an old L-5 with a CC pickup installed...MAN!

I have played two. Two of my mentors--(1) owner of the music store in my hometown, (2) owner of the only jazz/archtop music store in my university town--both had old L-5s with CC pickups. These guitars were supremely, insanely great instruments.

I am sure that Kenny Burrell knew exactly what he was after when he moved first to a Gibson Super-400, then to a D'Angelico New Yorker. To be sure, KB has sounded superb on both instruments, as well as on his Heritage instruments. (Lately, he seems to have gravitated back to his 60s-era Super-400.)

I don't know, however, if he ever sounded _better_ than he did when he employed the L-5. I include, here, all those fabulous sessions he cut at Blue Note with the ES-175 or L-7.

User Info Menu

I have played two. Two of my mentors--(1) owner of the music store in my hometown, (2) owner of the only jazz/archtop music store in my university town--both had old L-5s with CC pickups. These guitars were supremely, insanely great instruments.

I am sure that Kenny Burrell knew exactly what he was after when he moved first to a Gibson Super-400, then to a D'Angelico New Yorker. To be sure, KB has sounded superb on both instruments, as well as on his Heritage instruments. (Lately, he seems to have gravitated back to his 60s-era Super-400.)

I don't know, however, if he ever sounded _better_ than he did when he employed the L-5. I include, here, all those fabulous sessions he cut at Blue Note with the ES-175 or L-7.
    Gibson need the reissue a guitar with a CC pickup , an L5 or a es350 or something

Man what a guitar !

User Info Menu

Kenny has said in interviews that the larger 18" body of the Super 400 was more comfortable for him than the L-5. He also wanted a larger (deeper?) cutaway than the L-5 offered.

It seems like most of his Gibson's were modified in someway until he settled on the 60's Super 400. They always had different bridges, tailpieces, switches etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Gibson need the reissue a guitar with a CC pickup , an L5 or a es350 or something

Man what a guitar !
    Seems that this guy got it all wrong....

User Info Menu

So did Kenny have several D'Angelico's with DeArmond 1100's? I've seen a few photos of him with the natural finish, but only just spotted this one.

User Info Menu

The photo above is from the KB album "Tin Tin Deo." It was released in 1977. I bought it on vinyl when I was at university. It presents KB sounding great--as usual. The D'Angelico with the 1100 DeArmond was a terrific sound for Burrell.

User Info Menu

I was listening to a lot of Kenny today. What great tone, and what great fingers. There are these little Kennyisms--hammer-ons, slides on the top strings, double-stops--that really set him apart.

The key is that every thing he plays is tasteful. Just the right number of notes.

On Midnight Blue it sure sounds like a single coil into a Fender-type tube amp, but I'm surprised about the CC. I always thought that pickup was considered somewhat primitive, leading to the development of the P90 and others. Nevertheless, one can't argue with the tone and the articulation.

User Info Menu

I know this is really subjective, but I consider KB's solo on the song "3000 Miles Back Home" on the album "Sky Street" to be one of his masterpiece solos. I encourage all to listen to it. It is so well-structured, builds in intensity, and is full of KB nuances. I have noticed that it was so infectious that the other soloists on the song borrowed parts of it for their solos. What a voice! What chops!
    Ted
    Last edited by Easy2grasp; 07-15-2017 at 09:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Sky Street is from that sort of forgotten period of KB's career. I think a lot of jazz guys put out albums during the disco era that don't get much play today (the exception being George Benson's Breezin').

I like Sky Street. 3,000 Miles Back Home is a really good cut. You are absolutely correct--KB leads off with a terrific solo, followed by the other guys' contributions, that echo Burrell's thoughts. It's good jazz.

Another album to check out from that era is "Heritage." It features Burrell playing a bunch of standards. His tone is tremendous as he essays his takes on nuggets like "Struttin' With Some Barbeque," "Saint Louis Blues," etc. Great acoustic-electric playing.

User Info Menu

he told me he used a gibson L5 with a charlie christian pickup but wasn't sure about the amp( also, he had another modified L5 with a cc pickup that he could have used ..it's on the album cover )..I think van gelder had a tweed 'twin amp' as house equipment ..unless kenny brought his own amp. which could have been a fender or gibson..

User Info Menu

Yes. The Van Gelder amp was a narrow panel tweed Deluxe.

User Info Menu

his blonde d'angelico new yorker that he used for years (after he let the L5 go) was later refinished sunburst by carlo greco. I hear a collector owns that guitar now.the axe lives in japan. He then had a super 400 c with floating pickup for a few years then switched to the guitar he has now (super 400 ce with florentine cutaway). he has 2 of them actually, one has a master volume control .carlo greco worked on those guitars for years.

User Info Menu

Love this topic.

I have spent some time learning some of his tunes and trying to get that sound.

Interesting on his chord Melody’s I can get close with almost any set up when I really focus my head on that sound.

So that boring old line it’s in the fingers has been tapping away at me.

I have tried emulating others Eg Grant Green, Rotem Sivan and Gilda Hekselman and yeah if you listen deeply and try hard enough you can get very close by adjusting how you pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roadsong2
    his blonde d'angelico new yorker that he used for years (after he let the L5 go) was later refinished sunburst by carlo greco. I hear a collector owns that guitar now.the axe lives in japan. He then had a super 400 c with floating pickup for a few years then switched to the guitar he has now (super 400 ce with florentine cutaway). he has 2 of them actually, one has a master volume control .carlo greco worked on those guitars for years.
    carlo was nyc guitar luthier/repair legend...worked at guild, worked for alex music and had his own shop on 48th st (above rudys) for years...he was the nyc archtop repair guy for many years!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

He would sound great no matter what.

User Info Menu

Huge KB fan as well. I love his playing and tone on Dorham's Round About midnight record. I have been trying to figure out what he was playing sitting in that night but no luck so far.