The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello, Jazz Guitar community.

One of my favorite jazz guitar albums is Jim Hall & Pat Metheny, and my favorite track from that album is All across the city. I know that the great Jim Hall plays electric guitar on that track and that Pat Metheny plays acoustic or electro-acoustic.

I'm a beginner. My brother is a very good guitar player, but he is more of a rock/metal player and I asked him what kind of guitar was that one. He said it was maybe an acoustic/electro-acoustic with nylon strings.

I know that some of you in this forum have hear this incredible rendition of All Across the City and can tell me more accurately what type of guitar is Pat playing on that track.

I wanted to buy a hollow body, but after hearing Pat in that song I want to buy a guitar that sounds like the one he is playing on that track. I also want to know if he is playing with his fingers or if he is playing with a pick.

Have in mind that I'm a beginner. What kind of guitar could be good for me to start on acoustic jazz, an acoustic guitar that has that kind of dark, expressive sound?

Thanks a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's the Metheny-Manzer Signature 6, by Canadian Luthier Linda Manzer - $32,

Metheny-Manzer Signature 6 - A Limited Edition of 30 Very Special Guitars - Order Yours Today

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    There's the Metheny-Manzer Signature 6, by Canadian Luthier Linda Manzer - $32,

Metheny-Manzer Signature 6 - A Limited Edition of 30 Very Special Guitars - Order Yours Today
    All I can say is that, for the moment, I won't be one of the 29 owners, since Paul Simon alredy got one.

Any advice for a beginner who is far form being a millionaire and doesn't play any lottery?

User Info Menu

32 dollars and three shrieks is not bad. (;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DHR
    Any advice for a beginner who is far form being a millionaire and doesn't play any lottery?
    Step one is to figure out how much money you can afford to spend. You mentioned your brother plays guitar. Can he lend you at least an acoustic guitar?

User Info Menu

I'd recommend looking at Cordoba guitars. Metheny used to play a lot of his nylon string stuff on one. They have some really nice acoustic/electric nylon strings and some of them are not too expensive. I know the "Jet" series run around 500-600 most places. I've played a few before, and though the tone wasn't outstanding, I found it to be on the same level with some guitars twice the price. It's factory made so you're not getting the care to detail that goes into a hand-made instrument, but like i said, it's only 500 bucks.

Step one is to figure out how much money you can afford to spend. You mentioned your brother plays guitar. Can he lend you at least an acoustic guitar?
    My budget is 500. My brother doesn't have an acoustic. He has an Ibanez RG series... I don't remember the exact reference right now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DHR
    My budget is 500. My brother doesn't have an acoustic. He has an Ibanez RG series... I don't remember the exact reference right now...
    Based on the picture then, you may find a Yamaha classical (with piezo) to be a good bet.

Here's one:

Yamaha APX5NA Acoustic-Electric Guitar and more Acoustic-Electric Classical and Nylon Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

User Info Menu

Suggestion: buy used. Buy a used guitar that's in good shape (have someone who knows more check it out). That way, if you change your mind or want to trade up, you should be able to resell it for a similar price.

User Info Menu

Suggestion: buy used. Buy a used guitar that's in good shape (have someone who knows more check it out). That way, if you change your mind or want to trade up, you should be able to resell it for a similar price.
    Whaaaat? You don't do a Jimmi Hendrix when you're done with your guitars?

*put's lighter fluid away*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gravyTrain
    Whaaaat? You don't do a Jimmi Hendrix when you're done with your guitars?

*put's lighter fluid away*
    You can play Donna Lee with your teeth? I'm impressed.

User Info Menu

No, thank you for these super comfy boots!

Jazzarian Guest
    by Canadian Luthier
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

Besides, everyone knows Canadian lumberjacks sell their best wood to American luthiers.

Who, in turn, sell expensive guitars to Japanese collectors.

User Info Menu

I larfed, but this guy lives just down the lake from me:

Hopkins Guitars - Custom Archtops - Penticton, BC

The slide show he has on making an archtop is worth checking out.

Jazzarian Guest
    I larfed, but this guy lives just down the lake from me:

Hopkins Guitars - Custom Archtops - Penticton, BC

The slide show he has on making an archtop is worth checking out.
    Wow. Discounts for locals?????

Nice D'Aqusito look.

The tailpiece looks very similar to Campellone's. Same supplier?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Wow. Discounts for locals?????
    You just have to know the secret Canadian handshake. Woops, I've said too much.

Jazzarian Guest
    You just have to know the secret Canadian handshake. Woops, I've said too much.
    This guy is the real deal, and down the street. The guitars look about as good as any I've seen from Benedetto, Buscarino and Campellone. I haven't seen any prices however. He probably jacks up the price for Americans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    This guy is the real deal, and down the street. The guitars look about as good as any I've seen from Benedetto, Buscarino and Campellone. I haven't seen any prices however. He probably jacks up the price for Americans.
    The figure $10,000 pops into my head, but I don't remember where I saw that.