The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I wanted to start a thread about Peter Leitch, one of the finest and yet under-appreciated guitarists on the New York scene. Unfortunately Peter has now stopped playing due to health issues.

His autobiography, 'Off the Books', is excellent. A real, raw, look at the life of a musician playing creative music. Peter's also become a very talented photographer in the last couple of decades, with a number of exhibitions of his work.

Peter Leitch-512ynnakpol-_sx332_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg

To quote Russell Malone: "The New York jazz scene is saturated with great musicians. A lot of them don't get a lot of press, and you don't see them playing in the high profile venues. But they are out there in the trenches and playing on a high level. There wouldn't be much of a New York scene without them. Guitarist Peter Leitch has been out here on the battlefield for a long time. He is the epitome of excellence, always playing great, and never letting the standard drop."

Last edited by David B; 08-26-2016 at 01:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein was knocked out by PL's album 'Self Portrait' when I played it for him.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

good player, have had some of his records for years. nice treatment of those Monk tunes.
    and rip Dwayne Burno, another good player who's missed on the NY scene.
    I work w/his brother occasionally.

User Info Menu

Great player. he's got the same model guitar that Jimmy Raney used to play, with the Attilla Zoller pickup on it.
    I read that book he wrote, also; he wasn't afraid to pull any punches in it.

I sometimes wonder if his cancer wasn't caused by that long-standing gig he had at that club located right near the WTC.
    A friend of mine worked with the city on detoxing a building that got hit on 9/11, and he said that the air and buildings in that area were literally poisonous, according to the tests that he saw.

I met PL once, and he invited me to come down and sit in at the club, not long after 9/11.
    I told him I was scared to death of going anywhere near that area.

User Info Menu

peter lived down near that area as well...the place he's playing in db's ^ linked vid is walkers..a small classic old downtown/tribeca nyc bar..great place

here's peter... from good interview @ Peter Leitch Interview With Jazz Guitar Life : Jazz Guitar Lives at Jazz Guitar Life

PL: My main guitar is an Atilla Zoller model Hofner, built in the 1970s. I bought this from Atilla himself in 1993. I also have a Ramirez nylon string guitar, and an old 1950s ES 175. I have several Polytone mini brute amplifiers. In a large venue, sometimes I will take a line out of the amp and run it through the house system. (or just put a microphone in front of the amp.) or both, if the sound person knows what he/she is doing, which doesn’t always happen.

cheers

User Info Menu

I always made a point of catching Peter at Walkers whenever I was in NY. I remember one particularly great night when the late Charles Davis was his musical partner. I sat with Russell Malone and we spent the breaks listening to Charles' stories about Billie Holiday and Ben Webster. Peter's the real deal:

Peter Leitch-pb_pl_2008-jpg
    Last edited by PMB; 08-27-2016 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Peter Bernstein was knocked out by PL's album 'Self Portrait' when I played it for him.

That's really nice, love the song, love the playing... How come I've never heard about this guy before? I hear a certain virtuoso name pass-ing on this pages all the time as an 'icon', who incidentally made me allergic to even the words 'chord-melody'; but this guy is just killing it, and it's the first time I hear his name.. What up with that, jazzers? Well, better late than never I guess, wish him recovery and hope I can catch him playing live one day, maybe.

User Info Menu

Some great footage of Peter Leitch, John Hicks and Ray Drummond at the legendary Bradley's in NYC, 1996.

User Info Menu

Sad about Peter's health. I've been asking after him since I started playing at the room where he created a gig over 20 years ago. I hope he is feeling better. Good man, fine player...

User Info Menu

Am not familiar with Peter, thanks for the introduction.

User Info Menu

I wanted to start a thread about Peter Leitch, one of the finest and yet under-appreciated guitarists on the New York scene. Unfortunately Peter has now stopped playing due to health issues.

His autobiography, 'Off the Books', is excellent. A real, raw, look at the life of a musician playing creative music. Peter's also become a very talented photographer in the last couple of decades, with a number of exhibitions of his work.

Peter Leitch-512ynnakpol-_sx332_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg

To quote Russell Malone: "The New York jazz scene is saturated with great musicians. A lot of them don't get a lot of press, and you don't see them playing in the high profile venues. But they are out there in the trenches and playing on a high level. There wouldn't be much of a New York scene without them. Guitarist Peter Leitch has been out here on the battlefield for a long time. He is the epitome of excellence, always playing great, and never letting the standard drop."

I've got a number of Peter's CD's and they're all wonderful albums. Great players and great playing. I've often wondered, too, why he doesn't have a wider following. I read his book when it first came out and it provides a great insight into the life of a working musician. Peter is also a very accomplished photographer. Thanks for starting this thread, David. B.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Peter at his home. I'm in NYC for the week, checking out the scene.

He was in great spirits and a couple of hours flew by as we talked about New York City, music, politics and more. Peter has some great stories and always tells it straight.

I was able to fill a couple of gaps in my CD collection and Peter very generously gave me the sheet music to one of my favourite tunes of his, 'Penumbra'.

In the evening, I ran into Peter and his wife watching Russell Malone at Jazz Standard. Russell announced onstage, acknowledging Peter in the room, "no matter how big I get, I'll always look up to him!"

Peter Leitch-img_7239-jpg

User Info Menu

I studied with Peter for a few months back around '88. I was knocked out after hearing a track from a Woody Shaw record that he was on and I saw his ad in the Village Voice.

He was a very good teacher, very much into preparing you to play on the bandstand, showing intros and endings, subs, etc. We played Milestones, ATTYA (he taught me the Bird intro), and a few other tunes. Very big fan of Jim Hall, he turned me on to To Sweden With love with Art Farmer.

I also went to a number of gigs with him and remember driving him to a gig in NJ with Rufus Reid and Jed Levy. Really a great guy. I'm sorry to hear about his health issues, though i have known about it for a while. BTW, I've never read his book, and I should!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neer
    BTW, I've never read his book, and I should!
    Peter told me that his cancer doctor read the book and has a habit of quoting lines from the book back at him!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Neer
    I studied with Peter for a few months back around '88. I was knocked out after hearing a track from a Woody Shaw record that he was on and I saw his ad in the Village Voice.

He was a very good teacher, very much into preparing you to play on the bandstand, showing intros and endings, subs, etc. We played Milestones, ATTYA (he taught me the Bird intro), and a few other tunes. Very big fan of Jim Hall, he turned me on to To Sweden With love with Art Farmer.

I also went to a number of gigs with him and remember driving him to a gig in NJ with Rufus Reid and Jed Levy. Really a great guy. I'm sorry to hear about his health issues, though i have known about it for a while. BTW, I've never read his book, and I should!
    I met him at a Phil Woods clinic at LIU, where he was taking photos of Phil, and he raved so much about that Art farmer/Jim Hall LP, I had to check it out.
    It was a weird album; just these simple, diatonic, minor key Swedish folk tunes, with simple improvisations on them.
    I told a guy I session with about it, who is a good friend of PL's, and he said that Pl was a very 'dark' guy.

User Info Menu

His records always have been the best of bebop-guitar to me.
    Wonderful player.

User Info Menu

David B, thank you for starting this thread. I've known Leitch's name for a looonnng time and never made the effort to check him out. What a mistake that was! The version of I Hear a Rhapsody is magnificent. Thanks to the other posters for their further suggestions.

User Info Menu

I just received this album - it's really great. He comes at solo playing differently than one normally hears. Highly recommended (hard to find but worth it).

User Info Menu

Probably my favorite track from Self Portrait (Yesterdays is also very good):

User Info Menu

Just listened to "Penumbra" 4 times in a row. That's great.