The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

There's a church a couple blocks from my apartment. I'm not a member, but a friend is.

She said, "Check out the Jazz Vespers on Saturday night. It's free. It's two jazz guitar players (she knows I play). I hear they're quite good."

Well, yeah maybe...

So later on my wife and I strolled over.

And there's Bob Bain! Age 92. And the guy sounded absolutely fantastic! He was playing what I guess is an old ES-330, but it could be a 335. Man, it was sweet in that guy's hands!

He played the Theme from MASH. (He played on the original score, I believe.) And he was sublime! A really nice, deft touch that would be impressive from any elite guitarist of any age. But 92!

Man, that gives me hope for the future! They had to help him to his chair, but his dexterity was all there!

The other player was Jim Fox, who was fantastic as well. He was Frank Sinatra Jr.'s guitarist for perhaps 20 years. He led the trio and guided and set things up for Bain with a stunning graciousness. Paul Gormley on a most elegant bass.

Anyways, not a bad gig to stumble into so casually!

Bob Bain, age 92, sounded fantastic last night!-bobbain-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 07-18-2016 at 03:10 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like a wonderful evening. Thanks for posting. I have (one of?) Jim Fox's solo jazz guitar CD. Wonderful tone, polished and well-constructed arrangements and phrasing. Those low stools they're both sitting on look pretty interesting, too.

User Info Menu

super cool..bain was carsons tonight show guitarist for years..cut with crosby, sinatra, mancini, etc etc...ultimate pro!

everything bain

https://www.vintageguitar.com/2810/bob-bain/

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-17-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Carol Kaye mentions him now and then. There is at least one picture of her and him (and two other guys) at her site.

User Info Menu

hah..mark..great shot

bain with (new fangled) coral electric sitar..carol and sinatras arranger on right...guy on left is old universal films music supervisor

Bob Bain, age 92, sounded fantastic last night!-3e301107b5c0624f56bc4c2a629727f8-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

"It was just that simple..."

How Bain played "Moon River"

User Info Menu

I just love reading articles like that one above on Bob Bain. Those were the days - imagine people actually got paid for playing music. A gig like the Tonight Show must have been cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I just love reading articles like that one above on Bob Bain. Those were the days - imagine people actually got paid for playing music. A gig like the Tonight Show must have been cool.
    Bucky Pizzarelli had the "Tonight Show" gig in New York and was offered it when the show moved to LA (Burbank). But he declined. As much as he enjoyed the gig, I don't think he regretted staying in the New York / New Jersey area.

John Pizarelli tells the story of Benny Goodman stopping by the Pizzarelli house to enjoy their pool. John said (in his memoir, "World On A String") that sometimes when he came home from school, Benny would be napping on his parents bed. In his shirt, shoes, socks, and underwear. No pants. Evidently that was a real thing (--and something used in a "Seinfeld" episode) of performers removing their pants to rest so as to avoid unwanted creases.

User Info Menu

Bob Bain did a lot---a whole lot---of studio work. Here's something on the low-brow end of the scale. (Though I guess the pay scale was the same ;o)

User Info Menu

Btw, Mark - I know you are a Carol Kaye fan. Last night I was watching this Bain thing and then hit some link to a Carol Kaye interview where she showed some guitar as well as bass chops. She certainly earned her keep. Seems like a talented and smart woman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Btw, Mark - I know you are a Carol Kaye fan. Last night I was watching this Bain thing and then hit some link to a Carol Kaye interview where she showed some guitar as well as bass chops. She certainly earned her keep. Seems like a talented and smart woman.
    Yeah, Carol started out on guitar. She studied with Horace Hatchet, but was poor and couldn't afford many lessons, so he hired her to give lessons to beginner students. She was 14. I think she started gigging in her teens. Her first studio gigs were on guitar. (She played rhythm guitar on "La Bamba", for example. I've seen a photocopy of her union sheet for the gig. I think she made 117 dollars.) Her husband played bass. One day at a studio gig, the bassist didn't show and she covered for him. Soon she was getting a lot of calls for "Fender bass." (For a long time, that was the term, "Fender bass" rather than "electric bass." She has said she never changed strings on her bass guitars---just played 'em day and night---she did a LOT of studio work---for two years and then got a new one with a new set of strings on it.)

She can definitely play guitar too. And she has many guitar students. She has a, shall we say, singular perspective on the teaching of music. Highly opinionated. Rigid, even. But she obviously walked the walk at a high level for decades. And worked all that time with other pros. Hundreds of them.

User Info Menu

Can any of you guys tell whether that is an ES-330 or ES-335?

It looks like two PAF humbuckers (doesn't it?) Did Gibson ever put humbuckers on an ES-330?

(Or if the guitar has humbuckers, does that mean it is more likely a 335 (semi-hollow)?

User Info Menu

definitely a humbucker in bridge position...335

330's always had p90's

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks, neatomic! The guitar sounded so round and airy -- it reminded me of Emily Remler on her 330 -- that I assumed it was hollow.

But I later realized I was looking at humbuckers. Man, what a nice tone he had!
    Last edited by Flat; 07-19-2016 at 01:31 AM.

User Info Menu

"You're among the 'cats.'"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Bob Bain did a lot---a whole lot---of studio work. Here's something on the low-brow end of the scale. (Though I guess the pay scale was the same ;o)

I've been spamming that one for the whole day

User Info Menu

big dennis budimir fan here!..like bain, he played on many sessions...was originally hard core jazzer..replaced hall and pisano in chico hamilton group

have watched that frisell vid b4...good stuff..always nice to honor the maestros

cheers