The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Clark Terry. That guy is just sick. I know he's totally traditional, but I've always thought he just plays the coolest, tastiest, most musical licks. Plus, as far as I know, he's still out there doin' it despite being 148 years old, and sounds just as strong as he did with Basie or Ellington!! I really hope he hasn't passed on, I'd like to see him one last time.
    Last edited by bkdavidson; 09-11-2009 at 01:10 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Innerurge1
    i think personally that I am overall more influenced by musicians that are not guitarists.... I would say my top 3 influences are Wayne Shorter, Bill Evans and Joe Henderson...

Who are some of your biggest influences that aren't guitarists?
    I have to say, the one and only Donald Fagen, his harmonic thinking and ideas has always inspired me. In my musical world he is the king!

/R
    Last edited by GuitaRoland; 02-10-2010 at 01:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Chick Corea - All I want to do is play like him on my guitar. Absolutely inspiring
    Gary Willis - 2 words: solid groove
    Michael Brecker - I love his work with Steps Ahead and the saxophone summit with lovano and liebman. Just a killer player.

There are more, just at the time I'm writing this, these are the ones that stick out.

User Info Menu

Monk, Miles, Henry Threadgill, Don Cherry, Paul Desmond etc. etc.

PJ

User Info Menu

Gary Burton

Not nessicarily the biggest influence on my playing, but the guy who got me completely hooked on jazz and got me listening to all the great jazz players. (Seems funny to me that vibe players never show up in any of these discussions.)

User Info Menu

We still have access to threads from...ah what year is it.?...from way back!

Keith Moon.

Not my biggest influence but my neglect for form: to Keith I give thanks.

User Info Menu

As the name implies, Brecker is a big influence lol. At the moment McCoy is probably the biggest. Trane goes without saying. The first jazz record that I really listened to was she was to good to me by Chet Baker, so I have to say him and Steve Gadd who was also on it. Many others.

User Info Menu

Keith Jarrett

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond, Lester Young, Jimmy Martin, Jimmy Giuffre, Charles Mingus, Oliver Nelson, Monty Alexander.

User Info Menu

It's got to be Miles Davis. I started with his 1970's live album as a teenager.

I think that this is superb, Miles Davis- December 16, 1970 Cellar Door Club.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans above all. What a beautiful musical mind.

Miles, Monk, Mehldau, Daniel Herskedal (he has done some lovely stuff). Lately I have discovered Fred Hersch, and I like him a lot, though it would be an exaggeration to call him a big influence as of now.

Then there's Bach, I don't think he played guitar. Debussy and Ravel too.

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond. Maybe Ralph Sharon (Tony Bennett's pianist).

User Info Menu

My biggest influences are people I’ve played with. Nobody famous, just regular folks, some pro and accomplished, most not. Those are the people who’ve exposed me to repertoire, taught me ensemble playing, put high standards of musicianship right in my face, and inspired me to try to improve.

Followed by that are non-musican friends, family, etc., who opened my mind and ears in other ways. Or maybe they even go first. I mean my dad gave me the run of his record collection and stereo system, bought me my first instruments, and gave tons of encouragement. Miles’ influence pales in comparison (even though I’ve tried to copy Miles all my life).

Also, It strikes me as kind of pretentious to say that some great figure in music history influenced me. I mean who am to lay claim to that? Maybe if I ever produce something worthy of a claim of influence I’ll feel differently, but for now I’ll stick to crediting bandmates, friends, and family more highly.

User Info Menu

Still Dexter Gordon.

User Info Menu

For me it’d have to be drummers. Grew up playing with my brother, a drummer, and my first band was led by a drummer.

Today I like to take cues from the drummers I meet at jam sessions. For listening, it’s Art Blakey and Max Roach. Hard Bop in general, actually.

And then there’s Monk.

User Info Menu

Jaco
    Cannonball
    Eddie Lockjaw Davies
    Miles of course

User Info Menu

Coffee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Chick Correa on his "Light as a Feather Album". Only that album
    That is the very first CD I bought. (CDs were relatively new). My guitar teacher said I had to buy it, so I did.

User Info Menu

Charlie Parker, Lennie Tristano, Miles Davis, Lester Young