Anyone know what Peter Bernstein uses?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Anyone know what Peter Bernstein uses?
    Roundwounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Truth be told, I'd be fine with rounds if they didn't squeak. The brightness can be rolled off.

Having said that, I do have a fondness for the acoustic sound of the thud of hex core flats.
    yeah agreed ,
    i can't bear the squeak I get with rounds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    yeah agreed ,
    +1. So why is it that it's mainly (some) jazz guitars who use flats?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    yeah agreed ,
    Interesting. I don't mind the squeak. I feel like it's just part of the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Interesting. I don't mind the squeak. I feel like it's just part of the sound.

I think it was Segovia who said it's just part of the sound of the instrument. I don't mind it like most I've spent some time practicing to keeping it minimal. In a band setting it gets lost in the overall sound.

User Info Menu

This forum poll has some interesting results: Poll - Do you use Roundwound or Flatwound Strings?

User Info Menu

Anybody ever use half rounds/ground rounds?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Anybody ever use half rounds/ground rounds?
    I have TI Bebops on a guitar and they are like a half-round. They are a compromise between round and flat enough bright enough not thuddy and no squeak.

User Info Menu

Currently trying out George L steel 12 gauge with wound G after trying Chromes which I liked for a few weeks but they died pretty quick.

The George L's are not bad actually and pretty cheap. Huge bottom end gets my 175 close to the Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue sound, better clarity then TI Bebop for 1/3rd of the price.

User Info Menu

It's the loud music the young 'uns grew up with. Damaged hearing and all. They require round wounds to hear themselves.

User Info Menu

Saw Herb Ellis play with a big band, you could not hear him. Big band was one of the loudest gigs I have ever been to.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This would explain why Strings and Beyond are clearing out their T-I flat wounds.

User Info Menu

just wanted to comment saying dan wilson uses flats, not round. He was my teacher for 3 years and the whole time he used d'addario chromes (12's I'm pretty sure).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    This would explain why Strings and Beyond are clearing out their T-I flat wounds.
    They are ? Is this something someone at S & B said or ?

I just checked their sale and it's on all TI's- -including violin strings.

Just curious I guess.

Thx

I used to HATE the squeak. But for some stuff I needed some rounds. I realized if I got an hour or so on em and maybe used some fast fret the squeak wasn't that bad anymore. That's on a solidbody though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use rounds on my archtop and flats on my Tele. Go figure. I use LaBella flats on my nylon strings, too.

User Info Menu

Miles Okazaki, a frequent collaborator with Steve Coleman and participant in some very adventurous music, plays flatwounds (14s I believe).

User Info Menu

I'm not too concerned with the strings and guitars others use, but rather what sounds good to me. Each guitar has its own voice, so to use flats or rounds on a guitar simply because someone else uses them doesn't make sense to me. Whatever sounds best to me on each of my guitars is what I use. My Artist Award likes TI Jazz Bebop rounds, but my X-500 and Aristocrat like Chromes flats.