The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

sgcim,

I recommend highly the Gary Burton biography that you reference. It's full of great stories about lots of super cool jazz people that we all listened to and admired growing up.

AND, Gary Burton is just about the best improviser on any instrument that I ever heard. Getz gave him his start, but he has really gone far since. What a career in jazz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another excellent Getz record from the mid '70s. Joao Gilberto is truly an anomaly among singers. He sings with almost no vibrato but projects a rich, warm sound nonetheless. I guess Gilberto forgave him for ruining his marriage to Astrid in the mid '60s.

Last edited by AndyV; 05-25-2016 at 10:34 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Joao Gilberto is truly an anomaly among singers.
    João's one of my idols.

Love this record, but a bit disappointed in the recording/engineering (compared to João's 'white album' on Polydor - recorded brilliantly by Roberta Carlos).

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    love so many getz..from four brothers stuff on..stuff with johnny smith!..etc etc

but fave recording is -focus- cut in 1961...getz commissioned eddie sauter to write string arrangements with no melody line..and getz came in and improvised over it... some live and some overdubbed...absolutely killer

they repeated the formula for the soundtrack to mickey one (warren beattys first starring role)

only sax with strings recording that comes close is art peppers later classic winter moon

cheers
    Unbearably beautiful. Thanks - hadn't heard that.

Love this:
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...TtzPsW_cVS1kq#

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "this was one of the tunes they played"

haunting Strayhorn!

remember this one? also haunting....

From many moons ago:

User Info Menu

D.T.

being a big fan of Joao, I'm sure you're familiar w/his early lp's on World Pacific.
    they were combined on cd some yrs back as "The Legendary Joao Gilberto", now sadly out of print.
    but they're the definitive Joao imo.
    here's one of the lps..

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    D.T.

being a big fan of Joao, I'm sure you're familiar w/his early lp's on World Pacific.
    they were combined on cd some yrs back as "The Legendary Joao Gilberto", now sadly out of print.
    but they're the definitive Joao imo.
    here's one of the lps..

I have some early vinyl and a copy of that CD. Yes, love that sound - though I think what I most like is just João's voice and guitar on their own.

PS I have that Chega de saudade ​album on vinyl with a different cover, I think.

User Info Menu

The reuinion pairing of Getz/Gilberto above, from the album "The Best of Two Worlds," is part of a very good album. It features the singing of Gilberto's second wife, Heloisa Buarque de Hollanda. I hope Getz didn't mess up that relationship, too.

The album was produced by Miles' producer, Teo Macero. Joao Gilberto had a difficult time navigating the North American music scene. The original Getz/Gilberto album was going to feature Getz's quartet (dynamite musicians: Getz, Gary Burton, Steve Swallow, and Roy Hanes), but Getz simply wasn't simpatico with that setting. His delicate style just got lost in that group. Fortunately, the label brought in people like Jobim, Milton Banana, and Sabastiao Neto to provide a supportive bossa nova cushion for Gilberto.

On Getz/Gilberto 2, Getz used more of his own guys--e.g., Burton. All three albums are terrific to learn from.

User Info Menu

"Yes, love that sound - though I think what I most like is just João's voice and guitar on their own.

even though those records have shmaltzy strings, I usually just concentrate on his singing and playing as well.
    the strings don't bother me, I can easily block them out....