The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 70 of 70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    Funny, but I thought music was supposed to be all about freedom of expression.
    Well sure, but that doesn't mean one can't call out bad expression. I don't think anyone is calling for Kenny to be barred from making music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    As far as Kenny G.'s jazz playing, I don't know anyone who thinks what he does is serious jazz. He's sold a lot a lot of records, and the stuff I've heard, sounds like easy listening--- just pure melody playing...hardly any improvisation to speak of.
    Not the people that I talk to. Whenever I bring up the word jazz most people think of the kind of music that Kenny G plays. Smooth "jazz" type stuff.

User Info Menu

THEM: What kind of music are you into?

ME: Jazz

THEM: Oh, I LOVE smooth jazz. I like to just put it on, quietly in the background, y'know? Maybe while I'm cleaning or working...or just like reading a book and chilling.

ME: I gotta go now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

THEM: Oh, I LOVE smooth jazz. I like to just put it on, quietly in the background, y'know? Maybe while I'm cleaning or working...or just like reading a book and chilling.

That's what Borak plays for "sexy time".

User Info Menu

Alternately:

THEM: Ugh, I HATE jazz!

ME: Why?

THEM: It's all just random 'bee-boop-de-shooby-dooby" stuff.

ME: It's actually very well organized. See...

THEM: Whatever <puts on Top40 radio>

ME: I don't want to live on this planet any more.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    In response to Dortmund jazz guitar, I don't think he did give him a pass. In that long dissertation he also calls out coryell and says he lost a lot of respect for him for doing the same thing with Wes. Granted it wasn't anywhere near as vitriolic as his response to gorelicks effort.
    sounds like a pass to me:

"but whatever, i know larry is just trying to do good things with music, maybe a producer thought it was a good idea or something"

Pat Metheny : Question & Answer

User Info Menu

What kind of music are you into?

Me:

Funky music. I like being in a cult.

Them:

Ah, OK.

Me:

OK see ya around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    What kind of music are you into?

Me:

Funky music. I like being in a cult.

Them:

Ah, OK.

Me:

OK see ya around.
    THEM:

What kind of music do you guys play?

ME:

Swing, Gypsy, NOLA

THEM:

Ah ok, let me put on my dancing shoes

ME:

Sure. And here's the tip jar.

User Info Menu

Hep, you're a player. You have game.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Hep, you're a player. You have game.
    Yup, and I'm just a big nerd.

User Info Menu

THEM: So what do you do in your spare time?

ME: Oh, I play the guitar a bit, you know...

THEM: Really, what kind of music do you play?

ME: Oh, you know, some blues, a bit of rock, er... (cough)... er, a little bit of er.... jazz....

THEM: Oh, ok (thinks...Weirdo!) ... changes subject.

User Info Menu

Sayeth our intrepid bandleader: "Any time you do a jazz gig and there's more people in the audience than onstage, you're doing OK."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Actually, he, and his defenders, are EXACTLY what's wrong with this world (that is, this world of jazz). Metheny is on the money with every word, and he's certainly not a hater (if you knew him, you'd know that). He's a defender of the art form.

Courageous creativity has been bleached from American art by accountants; mediocrity has been accorded status. I saw Gorelick's lame, cheap act when he was still an opener (for Anita Baker). He was a pandering suck-ass then, now he's a rich pandering suck-ass.
    Easy, Ron, accountants report on the facts not decide them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I was listening to jazz radio yesterday while finishing up at work when Red Garlands version of Bye Bye Blackbird came on. Now THAT tune swings like a pair of big brass danglies! And THAT is jazz! Metheny? Tremendous talent on guitar, but his music rarely moves me. I'm not a Kenny G fan either, but I will admit that artists like Dianna Krall, John Pizzarelli and Jamie Cullum were largely responsible for getting me interested in jazz. From there I discovered Kessel, Bruno, Green, Montgomery, Red and Hank Garland, Stitt, O. Peterson, Vignola, Jimmy Smith, and many others. If Kenny G or anyone else chooses to make a certain kind of music more power to him. There will always be those who dislike his music just as there are those who dislike Metheny. Interestingly, the more popularity one achieves, the more people seem to dismiss their accomplishments, and the more vocal dissenters are. Everyone says they hate Kenny G, yet aside from this forum I rarely hear Pat Metheny mentioned. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.
    Of course he can choose to do whaever he wants. The problem is he's featured on Coltrane festival, and that is wrong. It's insult to real jazz fans. Metheny doesn't have to be super popular (but i think he is) to be right. If Justin Beiber put on a leather jacket and include a rock guitar solo in his song it won't make him a rocker, and if someone decided to make him a headliner on a rock fest to make money... Well, a lot of people would get upset, and might even do something. But jazz fans are more intelligent bunch, of course... Anyone got rotten vegetables?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    sounds like a pass to me:

"but whatever, i know larry is just trying to do good things with music, maybe a producer thought it was a good idea or something"

Pat Metheny : Question & Answer
    I was talking about the original rant. The quote from his website is after he had time to reflect on what he said originally

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    I was talking about the original rant. The quote from his website is after he had time to reflect on what he said originally
    so can we say that on reflection he gave coryell a pass?

User Info Menu

LOL. OK, sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Of course he can choose to do whaever he wants. The problem is he's featured on Coltrane festival, and that is wrong. It's insult to real jazz fans. Metheny doesn't have to be super popular (but i think he is) to be right. If Justin Beiber put on a leather jacket and include a rock guitar solo in his song it won't make him a rocker, and if someone decided to make him a headliner on a rock fest to make money... Well, a lot of people would get upset, and might even do something. But jazz fans are more intelligent bunch, of course... Anyone got rotten vegetables?
    How much of this is because "Coltrane" is used in the name of the festival? I expect "jazz" festivals to have other types of acts, even headlining, because that pays the bills. The Montreal Jazz Festival, one of the big jazz festivals, will have Brian Wilson, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Noel Gallagher, Sugar Hill Gang, The Tallest Man on Earth, etc...

User Info Menu

Wow, I never would have thought it possible, but there is something to rival the controversy that is the Kenny G. NOEL GALLAGHER booked for a jazz festival. Little bit of chord melody, some tasty octaves, bensonesque double stops. What do you think Noel will have in store for the avid jazz listener? LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    How much of this is because "Coltrane" is used in the name of the festival? I expect "jazz" festivals to have other types of acts, even headlining, because that pays the bills. The Montreal Jazz Festival, one of the big jazz festivals, will have Brian Wilson, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Noel Gallagher, Sugar Hill Gang, The Tallest Man on Earth, etc...
    The Montreal festival hasn't been a jazz festival since years. I grew up and lived most of my life in Montreal. Those early days of the fest were incredible. Once I had left Montreal, I used to try and plan my visits to coincide with the festival. Now, I don't bother. Most of the small festivals in Europe are better in terms of quality of acts, albeit much smaller.