The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Any of familiar with Ernest Ranglin?

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love him. Below the bassline and Barber Mack are in constant rotation at my house.

User Info Menu

He's been discussed often in the forum, because who else created all the iconic reggae/island guitar vocabulary, but him?

Forum Ernest Ranglin search results: vBulletin Message

User Info Menu

Love me some Ernest.
    One of the kings of my kitchen dancing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lazz
    Love me some Ernest.
    One of the kings of my kitchen dancing.
    Lol. Totally great cooking music, right?

User Info Menu

Yeah mon! Saw him live here in NYC a few years ago, I'm a big fan. He has that Benson vibe down, but you can skank to it... Rudie's got soul!

User Info Menu

Below the Bassline is great. I also play Boss Reggae a lot.

User Info Menu

Here's my homage to Ernest: https://tracintracy.bandcamp.com/track/skattered

(Yes, I posted it before :-)

User Info Menu

First heard about him on the St Germain record tourist.strange that I was listening to this and Marc moulin's top secret while I was in Kuwait in 2003.

User Info Menu

@Jay, if that's your band, you guys are cooking.

User Info Menu

Adore Ranglin's playing!

At 04:22 - 4:31 he plays a cool riff that's just diatonic thirds but played with such feel! One of the few Ranglin riff's I've been able to lift!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    @Jay, if that's your band, you guys are cooking.
    Yup that's my group. But I'm no Ernest.....

User Info Menu

The only album I've got is Modern Answers to Old Problems, but I've been queuing him up on ye olde spot of fy quite a bit. He's a got a really broad range of styles, and some of it really burns.

John

User Info Menu

The one I have is Guitar In Ernest. Pretty good record!

Guitar In Ernest by Ernest Ranglin
    https://itun.es/ca/UytcF

User Info Menu

My first album by Ranglin was Memories of Barber Mack. After that, I jumped in deep. I have quite a few albums by Ernest Ranglin, at this point. He brought Jamaican guitar playing along from the 50s to the present, playing jazz, then creating reggae. He played along side Jamaican talents like pianist Monty Alexander, drummer Sly Dunbar, and bassist Robbie Shakespeare. That combination could cover just about ANY gig that was called for in Jamaica--big hotel gigs, recording sessions, you name it.

Give Ranglin a listen.

User Info Menu

Here's some pretty cool records by Ernest to check out:

VinylBeat.com: Album Cover Gallery #39: Ernest Ranglin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol. Totally great cooking music, right?
    Cooking, cleaning up and I'm thinking perfect driving music. I'm very particular about what I want to hear when I'm driving; silence wins out usually over the sh*t that comes out of the radio.

Never heard this stuff before, love it, thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Yup that's my group. But I'm no Ernest.....
    Wow, you're playing with Cal Massey's son! Do you funky Netherlands boys ever play any of Cal's tunes, when you're through playing those soul-jazz classics?
    You do a great job of making the band sound full, and Zane plays his ass off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wow, you're playing with Cal Massey's son! Do you funky Netherlands boys ever play any of Cal's tunes, when you're through playing those soul-jazz classics?
    You do a great job of making the band sound full, and Zane plays his ass off.
    You know Cal Massey? Cool! Actually Zane has another project going that plays his father's music, but yeah we play These Are Soulful Days sometimes (recorded by Pat Martino and Lee Morgan). Thanks for the kind words!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    You know Cal Massey? Cool! Actually Zane has another project going that plays his father's music, but yeah we play These Are Soulful Days sometimes (recorded by Pat Martino and Lee Morgan). Thanks for the kind words!
    Let me know if Zane comes out with a CD of his father's music. I'd buy it in a second. I used to play Quiet Dawn in a trio I had years ago, and loved it. I hope you're involved with his project; you do a great job of replacing our enemy- the keyboard player!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Let me know if Zane comes out with a CD of his father's music. I'd buy it in a second. I used to play Quiet Dawn in a trio I had years ago, and loved it. I hope you're involved with his project; you do a great job of replacing our enemy- the keyboard player!
    He already did, it's called the Cal Massey Songbook, but it might be a bit different from what you expect (?), but check it out anyway:

http://www.chinchin-records.com/#!cosmic-surf-club/cv4h

http://www.chinchin-records.com/#!co...-songbook/cqjc

User Info Menu

Some nice stuff there. You're right, I didn't expect those interpretations.

User Info Menu

Ranglin on NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts:

User Info Menu

Here's a whole album (recorded from dusty crackling vinyl). I like the trio thing!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk