The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently saw a great video by Itzhak Perlman discussing this. This video is not the one but he says similar things. In the other, not on YouTube but on classicfm - five tips for practising - he says he practiced no more than about three hours and more can be harmful. Here he says five tops. Or is it four?

All the best,
    www.henryrobinett.com
    Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
    I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
    https://itun.es/us/pi6C_

User Info Menu

http://www.classicfm.com/artists/itz...practice-tips/

All the best,
    www.henryrobinett.com

User Info Menu

I think practicing as much as Mondor does is nuts. I mean obviously it works for him, so that's great. But to recommend that much practicing I think is irresponsible and harmful. If youre going to practice anywhere close to that you have to work up to it slowly.

When I was much younger I used to practice six hours a day a lot. I think mostly averaging around four hours a day. Now I practice about between two and three hours, more or less consistently. I might miss a day here or there. But over the years I've conditioned my hand. I know a lot of students or other guitar players who have harmed themselves by going from zero or an hour to a day to 6 to 10 hours. And that in each case seriously harmed their hand.

Now with guitar you can do all kinds of things like reading and other things where you're not really playing the guitar. There are ways of practicing reading where you aren't really pressing your fingers down on the frets but you're reading the notes and that's almost as good. Mental practice. But that much stress on your hands and arms, tendons is just not good.

All the best,
    www.henryrobinett.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Are you saying there's a psychological component in Ulnar neuropathy, or in focal dystonia?
    JL consulted a doctor for his dystonia, and the doctor said there was nothing wrong with his muscles or nerves.
    Sorry should have specified--I was talking about focal dystonia and spasmodic dysphonia as having a psychological component. Ulnar neuropathy and carpal tunnel syndrome (median nerve entrapment)--both of which I have had to a mild degree--are structural problems, though of course any physical ailment can have psychological overlay.

User Info Menu

"I think practicing as much as Mondor does is nuts. I mean obviously it works for him, so that's great. But to recommend that much practicing I think is irresponsible and harmful"

Did he actually recommend it or was that a comment on how much he practices?

I also don't think it is "nuts" at all.

Remember that he is at a level of proficiency where he doesn't have to exert as much as people who are not at that same level.
    The better you get the less you have to fight to play.

His version of a 8-12 hour may not be yours.....

Everyone has to find their own practice "space" in terms of how much time is best for them.

I'm doing 4-11 hrs. per day depending on the day, (workdays vs. weekend) & it hasn't bothered me......
    (more once I am retired (shortly))

I improve faster than if I was doing 4 hours a day... So I am good with it....
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 04-15-2016 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I said if he does it it's good for him that's great. I said recommending that much is nuts and practicing that but it works for him.

All the best,
    www.henryrobinett.com

User Info Menu

I went through a period where I actually got up to practicing eight hours a day. That lasted exactly 2 weeks. Luckily I had worked up from six hours so I didn't hurt my hand. But I gave up and I was blown out psychologically. I probably didn't have enough to practice other than just hard-core stuff. I was in high school so. Period I think what I had shown in the videos from sock Perlman it is very apropos. I think he is the preeminent expert on the subject. But you know, that's just me. Be well.

All the best,
    www.henryrobinett.com

User Info Menu

Old thread, but just watched this recent performance, and I see him squinting a lot. Wonder if his condition has gotten worse?

Sure doesn't seem to be affecting his playing here, though!

User Info Menu

Let's not panic. This is a pretty thorough article. It sounds as though the hand trouble was over several years ago. He's done a great deal since then and there's no further mention of it.

Julian Lage: The Guitar Natural Overcomes Injury, Develops Sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx
    Old thread, but just watched this recent performance, and I see him squinting a lot. Wonder if his condition has gotten worse?
    Focal dystonia is a neurological disorder. It causes involuntary muscle contractions in one body part. You may have muscle twitches in your neck, face, jaw, feet or hands. Focal dystonia that affects hands and wrists is common in musicians, athletes and writers. In golfers and baseball players, people often call focal dystonia "the yips."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Focal dystonia is a neurological disorder. It causes involuntary muscle contractions in one body part. You may have muscle twitches in your neck, face, jaw, feet or hands. Focal dystonia that affects hands and wrists is common in musicians, athletes and writers. In golfers and baseball players, people often call focal dystonia "the yips."
    IDK. My observation is that "the yips"--which has been associated with golf primarily--can be due to may factors, including performance anxiety. Focal dystonia might be one cause of spasms while putting, for instance, but there are probably more causes as well.

I think the kind of focal dystonia that has derailed certain musician's careers, such as the concert pianist Leon Fleischer, is a very serious form of this. Spasmodic dysphonia--which has afflicted Adele, Alison Krauss and Tony Rice among others--is a form of focal dystonia.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 11-17-2022 at 05:00 PM.