Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
    Jazzarian Guest
    Tear It Down
    Movin' Wes Part II

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The wonderful Carl Perkins tune, "Groove Yard'.

User Info Menu

always loved "misty" from "willow weep for me" or the expanded "smokin'"

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    always loved "misty" from "willow weep for me" or the expanded "smokin'"

Sometimes I reallyed loved Wes with the big horn arrangements, like "In and Out" and the aforementioned "Movin' Wes, Part II".

Sometimes I like the small group settings, like with Wynton Kelly and Jimmy Smith.

Sometimes I like the really old stuff with the Brothers Montgomery.

Brian Auger's studio rendition (not live version) of "Bumpin' On Sunset" is the very best version I know of :} Killer B3 and Rhodes.

User Info Menu

Full House is one of my favorites. It's a blast to play with a sax.

User Info Menu

I knew immediately I could not pick a favourite song so I tried to pick an album. No luck there either.
    I am cycling between 'Incredible Jazz guitar' and 'Groove Yard'. The month before was 'Smokin' at the a Half Note' and 'Full House'. Before that it was the organ trio stuff.
    One of his titles says it all...'So Much Guitar'.
    Gun to the head choice is "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face' because I'm learning it.

User Info Menu

West Coast Blues or Unit 7 are my favorite

User Info Menu

West Coast Blues - yes! After getting so far by ear, I've now got the Hal Leonard book. Some of the position changes seem a little awkward, although fine - I'll just get a version under my fingers first!

This is my 1st posting and I'm new to Jazz. Started with Kenny Burrell, then on to Wes. I have Smokin' at the Half Note, Full House and the Incredible Jazz of Wes Montgomery. Love a lot of this, especially the bluesy (West Coast Blues) and bluesy groovy things (Cariba) and stuff where you can hear resolution (perhaps this is cos I'm a newbie!?). Also love Robben Ford and Jimmy Page. Any suggestions on how to develop my listening would be greatfully received.

User Info Menu

I've always really like 4 on 6....but like others have said, it's hard to narrow it down to a favorite. There's also a great version of Caravn on an album of tunes selected by George Benson - I'm not sure which album it was originally recorded, but it smokes!

User Info Menu

yea ive always loved Four on Six. it was the first wes montgomery and basically jazz song id ever really listened to

User Info Menu

Just wanted to give a shout out to my favourite Wes song ever. I know alot of you found it difficult to choose only one song...

For me, this is the greatest jazz guitar solo ever, the piano comping is great too:
    Born to be Blue, from the album Full House

From start to finish Wes' playing is impeccable. Listen to it again if you've not heard it for a while! Sublime.

User Info Menu

Four on Six is also one my favorites - especially the version on Smokin' at the half note. Hadn't really got to Born to be Blue yet, since I got Full House quite recently and it's the last track(s), so just listened - it's great - thanks for the tip!

User Info Menu

I love "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" off of his Full House album. It's chord melody so it isn't really (i guess) vintage Wes, but it's still my favorite. His chord melodies are beautiful. Other than that I really like Bumpin' on Sunset, and Tequila's always good. God there's so many to choose from. Oh and Impressions. anyway. good stuff.

User Info Menu

If we're talking about favorite Wes compositions, I like Jingles, however anything from Smokin' At The Halfnote is my favourite Wes.

User Info Menu

Four on Six
    West Coast Blues
    Carriba

Honorable Mention: Freddie the Freeloader

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrewC
    Four on Six is also one my favorites - especially the version on Smokin' at the half note.
    one more vote for that one, that album with Wynton Kelly is great!

User Info Menu

Movin' Along, Gone With the Wind and D Natural Blues.

User Info Menu

I would recommend "Jingles" as there is such a contrast in styles between the "A" section and the bridge; good compositional technique to keep in mind.

User Info Menu

I like:
    - Twisted blues
    - Delilah
    - four on six
    - Road song

never mind I like them all

User Info Menu

Full House and Four On Six

User Info Menu

My faves:

S.O.S.
    Besame Mucho

User Info Menu

Like most people, I like them all but the solo on Come Rain or Come Shine (take 2) from Full House gives me chills.

User Info Menu

hey sorry guys i havent been here in a while. honestly i havent played guitar as much as i used to. hopefully that can change.

i love the songs s.o.s and west coast blues

james and wes
    road song
    king of the road
    down by the riverside
    sun down
    willow weep for me
    say a little prayer

User Info Menu

sos

he also has a cool version of Summertime. its upbeat and latin, and it busts into the four on six changes.. really great recording.

ive grown accustomed to her face