The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Great I will get into that. Does everyone aware of the fantastic David Hamburger series

Gotta find time to get back to Grant's Dimensions.

What is the deal with the opening statement Cm7 Dm Em is that over the Bb Ab? How does that work Cm is the II I can understand?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertoart
    This group of lessons has just popped up on youtube. Miss Annes Tempo. Part 3 details some chromatic moves.
    This is the best Grant Green tutorial I have EVER seen on youtube. Magnificent. I cant wait to dig into these. Kudos to the uploader!!!!
    Good stuff! Thanks for posting it. I'd never heard of this guy.

User Info Menu

Of course was just bangin something out to get back on topic and my mind back on this song

User Info Menu

How do you get his vibrato on the 5th of Bb and Ab classical of rock method, to my ears it is so fast it must be quite vigorous classical method

User Info Menu

Here's the first video (of 5) on "Miss Ann's Tempo". (Number 3 was posted here yesterday.) This one starts with playing the tune along with the recording and then again much slower.

Get a load of the wall of albums behind him!

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

Caught this thread this morning - Love Grant and love the the idea of this post, seeing that you've talked about Grant's Dimensions I've gone ahead and done a video tutorial of the head for the less experienced and talked about the theory for the guys a little more intermediate!

I'll post it in the players section!

User Info Menu

Here we go, my attempt at the first part of the solo, played not to speed and without accompaniment which maybe of assistance to someone. I think my notes are pretty close, maybe right at the final Bb arpegio I may have a note not right.

As with other Grant Green I have transcribed he has this rhythmic bounce which I think is very unique and cool. It is his swagger.

A lot of this is arpeggios but then he puts in some great twists and turns. The construction is too cool for school. I like the little touches he puts in, the vibrato, the slides and the subtle sweep picking. He mixes up the rhythm of the solo, its busyness and its harmonic complexity beautifully, now time to sit down and analyse those chromatic bits ....

User Info Menu

I kind of ceased with this tune thinking the improv is a bit stock, not a lot to learn here its pretty much just arpeggios I gotta learn tunes that can get me on stage at a jam sesh and I have started learning Chet Baker Autumn Leaves and Grant Green On Green Dolphin Street.

I had the music pumping today and Grant Dimensions came on. Fool I thought. The beauty of this song, the lesson to learn is the simplicity of the lines. The way he constantly evolves and moves through the arpeggios even though each chorus is similar that is the wrong thinking. They are related, he changes them up just enough either rhythmically or harmonically so that they are connected but hand together whilst keeping the listeners foot tapping and ears engaged.

I am back on it and will also start a thread for On Green Dolphin Street and Autumn Leaves for anyone that may wish to join me.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Bump to this old thread about Grant's Dimensions...

The turnaround part (the section after that G13 and starting with the Cm) has kinda got me timing wise. How do you guys count that out?

Also, does anyone happen to have a chart of this tune?

User Info Menu

I don't think I could count it I just sing it. When I play it with my mates it sounds awesome when we nail it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Bump to this old thread about Grant's Dimensions...

The turnaround part (the section after that G13 and starting with the Cm) has kinda got me timing wise. How do you guys count that out?

Also, does anyone happen to have a chart of this tune?
    Here's one I made [attached]. In some ways this tune reminds me of Sweet Georgia Bright by Charles Lloyd.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dana; 06-19-2017 at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Great chart, Dana!

I completely missed out on this thread...I'd love to jump in. Are we going to stick with this tune a bit, or try another?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    Here's one I made [attached]. In some ways this tune reminds me of Sweet Georgia Bright by Charles Lloyd.
    Thank you so much for sharing that chart! It's great!

User Info Menu

Green With Envy is a good new tune to study, as it is cool and a nice preparation for Nica's Dream! (It's almost like a simplification of it.)

Here's the lead sheet I made some years ago:

Last edited by Little Jay; 06-17-2017 at 05:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I did not know that can do the head would love to be able to improv on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This is how I play the head:

Notice that in bar 11 of the A-part I play F#maj7 - B7#11 (or B7b5 if you want).

User Info Menu

Although this will resurrect an old post, I thought you all might like this transcription of the solo in Grant's Dimensions--I've been studying Grant Green this semester in my music theory class, and it's been a pleasure! :-) Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Wow that is some work. Well done.

Have you done an analysis of approaches. eg I have noted he often plays the minor II pentatonic eg C minor over B flat. I am told he also plays F minor pentatonic over B flat and diminished on bar 6.

I did that kind of analysis on Green's Greenery, I should revisit it.

User Info Menu

I'm working on an analysis of it. I'm not the best at that part of it! But that's one of the objects of the class. We each chose a soloist to study for the semester, and I chose Grant because I like his style a lot, and also he sounded "achievable" LOL--that is, I would be able to execute his solos for the performance portion of the class. :-)

Here's the other transcription I did for class, this time the tune is No. 1 Green Street.

Hope some folks enjoy the transcriptions!

-melne