The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Nice find... thanks K! Haven't come across this yet.
    BTW, Chuck Deardorf is a local first-call bassist/educator who may have just played with Peter for the Northwest performances. It's always a treat to hear him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

meldhau's playing never once reminded me of evans' playing

neither did keith jarrett's etc. etc.

none of them seem to me to 'get' the most significant aspects of evan's style

jim hall (sometimes) sounds more like bill evans to me than these famous piano players

its about continuity of thought and a certain languid grace in the expression of the thoughts - jim hall gets parts of it in the records with evans' i think

i haven't heard anyone else come near it really

it doesn't surprise me - just from the self-absorption of his playing - that meldhau should be really huffy about being compared to evans.

pete bernstein's recent treatments of classic tunes does strike me as having an evans-like quality. and its pretty closely connected to what bm stresses in this interview - the attitude to the tune, and the ability to make it sound fresh without being too aggressive with it.
    Last edited by Groyniad; 03-01-2016 at 07:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I've listened to a lot of PB. I love the way he "sings" with his instrument. His notes have a character and sustain that evoke a voice-like quality. (It's that singing quality I find reminiscent of Grant Green's playing.) Also, I love the great "acoustic/electric" tone he gets. His simple straightforward playing speaks volumes without a lot of bluster and flourish.
    Finally, in the times I've spoken to him over the years, he has always been very gracious and humble.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    i liked ethan iverson's comments on red garland and they fit peter as well imo:

"Red Garland is a pure element. He plays only one way, from some deep secure place inside himself that never worries about getting over."