The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Man, I think Bill made some of the best music of his career right before he died.

It bums me to see big names...well shit, anybody, slag a giant like that...but I get it too...I'm sure Brad's had to deal with 20-odd years of Evan's comparisons. Ill-informed Evan's comparisons by the same dumbshits that think Bill only played ballads...so he might have gotten a wee bit sick of it...since he sounds nothing like Bill.

What irritates me the most is when we post a random quote here by these giants and base a lot on one sentence in our discussions. These guys are people too. Ever say anything you didn't really mean?

Except we don't have a forum full of nobody's dissecting our every word.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Amen Jeff. Soooooo... anyone want to change the subject and talk about Peter instead? I don't see him talked about all that much in these parts. Was hoping to change that. Didn't realize it would create such controversy.

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein is awesome! Of the many aspects of his playing that I'm fascinated with is his ability to make an archtop straight into an amp sound modern. He is fully full on jazz no rock, no fusion just absolutely great straight ahead super bad jazz guitar playing. Tone, Taste and Time for days....Can I get an Amen?

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein may be my favourite living jazz guitarist. Certainly up there, anyway. I don't there are many who touch him.

The absence of surface complexity, artifice and display in his playing are pretty unique and very brave. He seems to have no desire in his playing other than to use the instrument as a tool for music, and I love that.

User Info Menu

Peter's one of those rare players who can sound modern and traditional in the same phrase. He's awesome.

I don't listen to guitar players so much these days, but I think a PB binge listen is on the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Peter Bernstein may be my favourite living jazz guitarist. Certainly up there, anyway. I don't there are many who touch him.

The absence of surface complexity, artifice and display in his playing are pretty unique and very brave. He seems to have no desire in his playing other than to use the instrument as a tool for music, and I love that.
    I totally agree with Christian - couldn't have put it better myself. I saw Peter with the Goldings/Stewart trio a year ago and it was one of the best gigs I've seen.

I also spoke to Peter afterwards and he is a really down to earth, friendly guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I totally agree with Christian - couldn't have put it better myself. I saw Peter with the Goldings/Stewart trio a year ago and it was one of the best gigs I've seen.

I also spoke to Peter afterwards and he is a really down to earth, friendly guy.
    Here's a great video of the trio in concert at the Village Vanguard:

User Info Menu

Where did you see the trio? It's possible we were at the same gig.

User Info Menu

Where did you see the trio? It's possible we were at the same gig.
    It was at the Watermill jazz club in Dorking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Peter's one of those rare players who can sound modern and traditional in the same phrase. He's awesome.

I don't listen to guitar players so much these days, but I think a PB binge listen is on the way.
    I'm on Light Blue at the moment. Burning!

User Info Menu

Ah OK, the Daves (Cliff and Warren) would have been there - do you know them?

I saw them at Ronnie's. My friend Nat Steele went to that one I think in addition to the two Ronnie's gig just cos he loves them so much.

I hear the Watermill's gig was burning... They were awesome at Ronnie's, but it's not the most vibey room these days....

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of photos taken at the gig by my friend Brian. Dave Cliff is on the right in the group photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images Peter Bernstein, in Mehldau's Words-bernstein-goldings-stewart-51587-watermill-j-c-dorking-1-15-jpg Peter Bernstein, in Mehldau's Words-bernstein-peter-51619-watermill-j-c-dorking-surrey-1-15-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Looks like Ross Anderson in the front row, is it, three seats left of Dave Cliff? Nat is on the extreme left just behind Dave Warren....

I should have gone to that one!
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-27-2016 at 03:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm on Light Blue at the moment. Burning!
    Doing his record with Mel Rhyne right now. Yeah.

User Info Menu

BTW If anyone PM's me, I have a recording of a masterclass with Peter on my hard drive somewhere from 2013.

User Info Menu

Looks like Ross Anderson in the front row, is it, three seats left of Dave Cliff? Nat is on the extreme left just behind Dave Warren....

No, according to the article, it's not Ross....

User Info Menu

If you look at the review I posted (just before your post) it lists everyone who was there - probably quite a lot of people you know!

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of photos taken at the gig by my friend Brian. Dave Cliff is on the right in the group photo.
    'A Great Day in Dorking'!
    Last edited by David B; 02-27-2016 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Always enjoy a Peter Bernstein thread! He's my number one guy playing today.

To tie in with the Mehldau detour this thread took, I'll say that one of my favourite albums under Peter's name is 'Stranger in Paradise' which features both Brad Mehldau and Larry Grenadier, along with Bill Stewart.

Attachment 28712

The title track also appears on Jimmy Cobb's 'The Original Mob' in 2014, along with Peter and Brad:

Last edited by David B; 02-27-2016 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Peter has a new quartet recording coming out on Smoke Sessions Records in late Spring with Gerald Clayton, Doug Weiss and Bill Stewart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Peter has a new quartet recording coming out on Smoke Sessions Records in late Spring with Gerald Clayton, Doug Weiss and Bill Stewart.

good news

User Info Menu

Not much to add, but to say that Peter's one of my favorites.
    I love the brief clips of his masterclasses that are available on youtube.
    He always hits home with his advice!

User Info Menu

I've noticed that 90% of the time that I'm learning a new tune, I've been able to find a version of Peter Bernstein on a recording or live on YouTube.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    the goldings trio also recorded a new CD last week.