The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

On the jazz guitar page of my website I have videos I made of music by Harry Volpe, among others. Today I got an anonymous comment which is intriguing. As it's a public comment and anonymous, I feel ok about reproducing it here:

"I was remembering my childhood growing in Johnstown Pa when my older Joe ( Pass ) went to N.Y.to study with Harry Volpe Joe had to be around 13 at the time. Jusr a memory from my youth."

There seems to be a word missing before Joe's name, and I'm thinking it could be "brother". What do you think? I know nothing about the Pass family.

If it is a brother or sister of Joe, I feel very humbled. It makes me feel very warm inside, that I might have triggered such a memory. But am I projecting my hopes into that statement? Am I misreading it? I left a reply, saying how great I think Joe Pass was.

if you read the comments on that page http://robmackillop.net/guitar/jazz/plectrum-guitar you will notice that I also got comments from Carl Kress's son, and George Barnes' daughter. The frustrating thing is that neither of them respond to my replies. But, still, it's a great feeling to know that these people have written to me.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 02-10-2016 at 05:21 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well Rob, everything matches up - Johnstown, 13, NY, Volpe - so why not?

I just checked your site, my only disappointment was that you look very much younger than your avatar here.

The Loar sounds great in your hands, very different from most of the reports I'd read about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    I just checked your site, my only disappointment was that you look very much younger than your avatar here.
    Inspired from his looks you could fancy that Rob might contribute something to evolutionary theory of guitars...

Robert

User Info Menu

Well, I can now see from behind the scenes - being an administrator for the site - that it does indeed come from a member of his family. It has made my day! Very happy.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 02-10-2016 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

That is so cool. I corresponded with Joe for the last 18 months or so of his life, and his letters are a personal treasure. You now have a direct connection to a man who is a hero for most of us on several different levels.

It would be great if some kind of contact could be made. I think there was some hard feeling in the family when Joe re-married? Children of a first wife often struggle with the idea of their dad marrying again, and I heard a bit of that. They might be a bit hesitant to talk openly, but a discrete and considerate guy such as yourself could probably strike up a very meaningful personal acquaintance once they realize you're a honest fellow.

User Info Menu

Well, I wouldn't like to infringe upon them. They did after all mark their comment as anonymous. I'll respect that, and not take it further.

Nice that you were able to correspond with Joe. He really was a genius.

User Info Menu

It is a fine testament to your excellent craftsmanship Rob.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Chris. If they like my page, they'll love your site!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, I wouldn't like to infringe upon them. They did after all mark their comment as anonymous. I'll respect that, and not take it further.

Nice that you were able to correspond with Joe. He really was a genius.
    No harm, I think, in making a modest overture. Anonymous posts are often made because people just don't wan t to create an account, log in, etc. He seems to identify himself pretty clearly in the post itself.

Erring, though, on the side of respect never did anyone any harm. You're a good guy.

User Info Menu

Joe has mentioned having a brother in interviews. Whereas Joe's Dad pushed Joe to be a guitarist, he pushed Joe's brother to be a writer. Had him write a story a day. I wonder if Joe's brother turned out to be a writer after all.

User Info Menu

Hmm. Good question.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Joe has mentioned having a brother in interviews. Whereas Joe's Dad pushed Joe to be a guitarist, he pushed Joe's brother to be a writer. Had him write a story a day. I wonder if Joe's brother turned out to be a writer after all.
    2 brothers and possibly a sister I believe. 2 of them went on to be doctors

User Info Menu

Thanks. I was wondering how many siblings he had...

User Info Menu

My previous post was from memory. Info about Joe's family is sparse.

I read one article saying Joe was the eldest of 5 brothers. Another article referred to at least 2 brothers who had become doctors, plus *possibly* a sister(?). Here's a picture showing 4 brothers :

From the Passalaquas Photo Album

User Info Menu

Just found this, which gives an accurate summary : the obituary of Joe's mother last year (2015) at the age of 103 :

Anna Passalaqua Obituary - Highland Park, NJ | Asbury Park Press

User Info Menu

Then I'm certain it is his brother Nick. Wonderful. I'll leave it at that. It has just been a nice moment for me, and that's enough. Thanks for the links.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    My previous post was from memory. Info about Joe's family is sparse.

I read one article saying Joe was the eldest of 5 brothers. Another article referred to at least 2 brothers who had become doctors, plus *possibly* a sister(?). Here's a picture showing 4 brothers :

From the Passalaquas Photo Album
    Wow! Separated at birth!

User Info Menu

Funny ! Who knew ?