The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I wish he would play more solo stuff, it's so quirky and interesting

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes! And he's the only solo guitar I can listen to. He makes it alive somehow. Usually solo guitar is impossibly boring genre, but not this. Sco is the master!

it sounds like he's always improvising throughout as if there's no arrangement except for the skeleton of the tune. I love the way he plays with the time, its very funky.

User Info Menu

This tune is from his edu video-book Jazz-Funk Guitar vol.1/1993/....
    Great player!
    Sadowsky nylon strings guitar-Scof play it only at this video...I think.

User Info Menu

This intro as solo sounds great to me to...

User Info Menu

it sounds like he's always improvising throughout as if there's no arrangement except for the skeleton of the tune. I love the way he plays with the time, its very funky.
    I think there's really no arrangement

there's also this

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I think there's really no arrangement
    well that's the thing, I reckon even if there was an arrangement, he would make it sound as if it wasn't arranged at all. but yeah these are probably just him on the fly.

User Info Menu

Yes! And he's the only solo guitar I can listen to. He makes it alive somehow. Usually solo guitar is impossibly boring genre, but not this. Sco is the master!
    I think it's because he takes no compromises... usually when I listen to solo guitar it sounds like guitarists try to fit something ''more than guitar can do''... I mean more or less you still have this feeling that they are trying to show that guitar can do ''even this''..

Of course there are great players... I heard plenty of solo playing from the greatest .. some I like more some less.. but there's always that feeling 'ok now I'll show that guiatr is kind of piano or orchestra or whatever' maybe they don't think about it but it's felt

and Sco sounds like he does not care..

This sums it up

User Info Menu

well that's the thing, I reckon even if there was an arrangement, he would make it sound as if it wasn't arranged at all. but yeah these are probably just him on the fly.
    To my feeling.. if someone's really in to play jazz.. as I understand it... even when you do develope arrangem,ents or wahtever skills - you're only after the mometary thing... after all...

I mean it depends more on how you take things how you approach than if it's really an arrangement or not...

in time it becomes no difference.. it is only what you want to play.. even if you play by the score you make it like the only the thing you wanted to play right now...

User Info Menu

so for misprints - it's not me, it's catto's today

User Info Menu

good lord, that's sweet.

User Info Menu

I had an acquaintance who had a Sadowsky a few years ago--wonderful sound, he played kind of gypsy jazz stuff. I think he played more fingerstyle though.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I kind of get the feeling Scofield's "struggling" with the guitar, because it's not his main instrument. A lot of people who play nylon want to play it just like a steel string, but it doesn't behave quite the same way--different fret feel, sustain, resonances. Anyway, he sure plays the hell out of it, and any quirks just add to the interest of the song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I had an acquaintance who had a Sadowsky a few years ago--wonderful sound, he played kind of gypsy jazz stuff. I think he played more fingerstyle though.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I kind of get the feeling Scofield's "struggling" with the guitar, because it's not his main instrument. A lot of people who play nylon want to play it just like a steel string, but it doesn't behave quite the same way--different fret feel, sustain, resonances. Anyway, he sure plays the hell out of it, and any quirks just add to the interest of the song.
    that's OK if it pushes him in a different direction!

User Info Menu

Enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

I think Scof work about solo recital.
    I/ve heard about this in the end of the last year.
    Last edited by kris; 01-29-2016 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I wish he would play more solo stuff, it's so quirky and interesting
    I am not one who worships Sco, sometimes I just can't stand to listen to him, but this is great!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think it's because he takes no compromises... usually when I listen to solo guitar it sounds like guitarists try to fit something ''more than guitar can do''... I mean more or less you still have this feeling that they are trying to show that guitar can do ''even this''..

Of course there are great players... I heard plenty of solo playing from the greatest .. some I like more some less.. but there's always that feeling 'ok now I'll show that guiatr is kind of piano or orchestra or whatever' maybe they don't think about it but it's felt

I think you are onto something here. Sco doesn't sound ambitious like some other players, and he never sacrifice groove for anything. I think at the core he's blues player, or at least influenced by those guys a lot. So I get the same funky bluesy feeling from him as I would from someone like John Lee Hooker playing solo guitar. Only, of course, Sco knows more chords! LOL

User Info Menu

Yeah Scofield has a way of playing chord melody which combines an semmingly casual abstraction with a deep beauty. I love his approach

User Info Menu

that reminded me Monk's solo recordings actually...

He is like trying and listening then and trying and listnening...

User Info Menu