The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

Truefire is on a roll with jazz courses at the moment, with recent video courses from the likes of Sheryl Bailey and Pat Martino. Just got an email that a new video course from Tim Miller is due tomorrow, 29th January.

As usual, there is a discount for pre-orders: the code "DESIGN20" gets 20% off.
    https://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-les...io-design/c958

Last edited by David B; 01-28-2016 at 02:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cool! Here's the pdf for the minor pentatonics.

http://members.internetguitarlessons...Pentatonic.pdf

User Info Menu

Fantastic stuff and very much the next step of legato guitar playing.

Highly recommended and a new way to approach the fingerboard from a legato standpoint.

User Info Menu

Just bought this course. I've gone through about 3/4 of the way. Much of it is review from the lessons he has on his website but it goes into a lot more detail. Highly recommended. He's one of the leaders of the new legato jazz guitar generation.

User Info Menu

I bought it, too AND I'm a member of his teaching website.
    I think it's a great course and as Jack rightly pointed out, this is a much more detailed version of his arpeggio "teachings".

User Info Menu

I love the unusual sounds he is getting with this hybrid style.......And these are all just diatonic arpeggios. Nothing outside. He also really knows how to exploit what is unique to the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I love the unusual sounds he is getting with this hybrid style.......And these are all just diatonic arpeggios. Nothing outside. He also really knows how to exploit what is unique to the guitar.
    Me too. It's not the sound I want all the time but it is definitely something I appreciate when others do it well, and now something I think I can add to my bag of tricks.

Wondering about the hybrid picking he uses and how difficult it will be for me to get. (I've done hybrid picking before but never in such a systematic way involving scales and arps.) How are others doing with that? It is amazing how fast and clean he can play the arps without apparent ease.

User Info Menu

I've been practicing this course for a couple weeks now. I didn't even know there was a thread up on here.

The trick is, I play finger style completely, no pick. So I don't follow his procedure, obviously. For me the "rules" are as
    Follows:

Thumb is completely free and can repeat usage on consecutive notes and Go from string to string.

Other fingers except P cannot repeat and most alternate, especially when crossing strings . ( I use P-I and or I-M). So, following the 2-1 2-1 2-1 rule, if The first two notes are I-M and if I am strictly alternating I-M, The rest of the sequence has to be I, M-I, M, I-M, I.

Caveat: fingers can be used without alternating if there is a slur in between . I.e., three consecutive notes, the first and third using for example I , but the middle note is slurred. The slur in between allows a finger to be repeated .

I realize that strict fingerpicking is rarely discussed on these boards, if ever. But that's OK, I'm happy to play without a pick. it gives me a lot of freedom. .

User Info Menu

I've actually put some time on these. For me, the right ascending hand (with the hybrid picking stuff) actually is coming along okay. I'm finding however that I need most of my work on the hammer-ins and pull-offs. I've been pretty consistent for about 2 months in working on this a little bit each day. It has gotten much better, but I need more work. It's not just to gain speed, but it's also about me getting a good articulation.

To me, the right hand just feels like I'm learning another finger-picking lick. It's great stuff! Another problem I'm having though is applying it to tunes. I'm starting a couple of new ones (tunes) this week however, and will try to be more intentional about incorporating this concept

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I've been practicing this course for a couple weeks now. I didn't even know there was a thread up on here.

The trick is, I play finger style completely, no pick. So I don't follow his procedure, obviously. For me the "rules" are as
    Follows:

Thumb is completely free and can repeat usage on consecutive notes and Go from string to string.

Other fingers except P cannot repeat and most alternate, especially when crossing strings . ( I use P-I and or I-M). So, following the 2-1 2-1 2-1 rule, if The first two notes are I-M and if I am strictly alternating I-M, The rest of the sequence has to be I, M-I, M, I-M, I.

Caveat: fingers can be used without alternating if there is a slur in between . I.e., three consecutive notes, the first and third using for example I , but the middle note is slurred. The slur in between allows a finger to be repeated .

I realize that strict fingerpicking is rarely discussed on these boards, if ever. But that's OK, I'm happy to play without a pick. it gives me a lot of freedom. .
    We're I learning the guitar right now for the first time, I'd put the little plastic bastards to bed and play fingers only (I can't bring myself to say "fingerstyle," it conjures images of guys playing tepid new age shit and slapping their guitars like a drum)

But old habits die hard...I'm a hybrid picker. Might need to check this course out, Tim could show me a lot, I imagine.

User Info Menu

I'm finding however that I need most of my work on the hammer-ins and pull-offs. I've been pretty consistent for about 2 months in working on this a little bit each day. It has gotten much better, but I need more work. It's not just to gain speed, but it's also about me getting a good articulation.t
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but he only emphasizes ascending slurs, NOT descending slurs.

FYI He has a free video on YouTube where he talks about how to play ascending and descending slurs correctly, in time, with articulation and volume.

User Info Menu

With the 212121 arpeggios he pulls off for the 2 notes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    We're I learning the guitar right now for the first time, I'd put the little plastic bastards to bed and play fingers only (I can't bring myself to say "fingerstyle," it conjures images of guys playing tepid new age shit and slapping their guitars like a drum)

But old habits die hard...I'm a hybrid picker. Might need to check this course out, Tim could show me a lot, I imagine.
    Funny, I Can't hybrid pick to save my life. That seems really hard to me .

I admire people like you who can and especially Christopher W in Portland who can hybrid pick like a mofo .

User Info Menu

I don't think I could teach it...it just sort of "happened." Product of being in a jam band that went from two guitarists and a keys player to a power trio in a months time, back when I was 18 or so...hadda learn to fill some space, fast.

User Info Menu

It's pretty clear that Tim Miller is an excellent teacher. I have his book on three note cluster voicings that he wrote with Mick goodrick, but honestly, it's above my head right now.

What I like about this true fire course is the unique combination of freedom and expression that he allows and encourages, which he couples Up with precise attention to detail and logical step-by-step instruction. With regard to speed, there is even an element of the left-hand he specifically mentions that does not involve slurring that contributes to faster lines.

It's really basic stuff, but it's a small detail that could get lost When playing two notes on one string with, for example, fingers one and three, he makes sure to mention that when switching strings, play the next note with finger 4, not finger three slid down a string . It's more efficient and efficient playing contributes to speed .

User Info Menu

Not exactly true. He utilizes side stepping and other techniques to play outside.

User Info Menu

Cool. I just meant the basic ones, but that's a good point.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite etudes on his site is called 'Chromatic Density.' It's so beautiful, but quite challenging!

User Info Menu

With the 212121 arpeggios he pulls off for the 2 notes.
    he hammer-ons ascending and pulls-off descending.

But you can also use economy picking on his technique. You don't have to use pick and fingers. In fact, he economy picks descending but uses pick/fingers ascending. I'm thinking of working on them with strict economy picking just for grins...

User Info Menu

not to go off topic too much but just caught albert lee last night in cleveland. Talk about a hybrid-picking-mofo...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    he hammer-ons ascending and pulls-off descending.

But you can also use economy picking on his technique. You don't have to use pick and fingers. In fact, he economy picks descending but uses pick/fingers ascending. I'm thinking of working on them with strict economy picking just for grins...
    I enjoy this poster's videos a lot. You demoed him on another thread. He seems to emphasize economy over hybrid. I enjoy the feel of hybrid for some reason.

User Info Menu

p.s. i asked Tim about why he uses hybrid ascending and economy descending and not all one or all the other and he said he tried both and just ended up with what felt the most comfortable.

I've been practicing mostly using all hybrid or all economy on the 2121 with good results.

User Info Menu

regarding the 2121, this technique is coming along pretty well for me. I'm just starting to incorporate it into my playing. I had a convervation with Tim about how he ended up doing hybrid on the ascending and economy on the descending and he said that he just fell into that and it was what felt the most comfortable to him.

I do play with pick and fingers for some passages so I naturally started using pick and fingers for my 2121 arpeggios. However, I no longer have nails on the right hand and the tone of the pick and fingers is different so I started practicing yesterday using economy picking in both directions. It seems like I can get a more consistent tone that way.

However, a big advantage of the hybrid picking is the ability to do string skipping so I may continue with the hybrid approach as well as using economy (basically practicing it both ways)

I didn't ask Tim but it looks as if he may possibly have artificial nails which - i know from experience - definitely helps with making the fingers match the pick in terms of touch and feel. I just can't personally deal with having artificial nails so I stopped using them but for about a month, I was getting an incredible sound with my hybrid picking!