The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I have to admit I am a little late to the party here. I have listened to his music from time to time but haven't really paid that much attention to his stuff until recently. (I actually don't listen to a lot of current jazz music, especially "fusiony" guitar albums...)

I heard his work on David Bowie's final album, and was quite impressed with what he brought to the project.

I was listening to his album Hydra today and found it quite intriguing--reminiscent of Pat Metheny crossed with Robert Fripp. The title song is especially enjoyable.

Curious what others think of him, and what other albums I should listen to?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think he's great... Amazing understanding of harmony on the guitar. The first album I heard of his was Flux, which I like. I really like Hydra too. Lately I've been listening to Donny McCaslin's In Pursuit, which features Ben Monder's comping.

Here's a cool performance of that music live:

User Info Menu

In my opinion one of the toughest calls is recommending Ben Monder recordings. He's got one of the widest stylistic ranges of any guitarist and he brings something that no one else can to each project he does. From funky blues of Dan Willis's Hankerin' to covering Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side on Dave's True Story to work with David Binney. Live, he's even more unbelievable, listen to the meter on this ATTYA:

and have fun googling him, he's worked with a lot of people.

Quite a huge output, and it all sounds unmistakably like Ben
    David

User Info Menu

Agreed. I just recently found out about Bill McHenry, and who's playing guitar in those quartets other than Ben Monder. Some really nice solos and comping in those.

User Info Menu

Yeah I like what he's doing on ATTYA--I think Metheny did a version of this that was stylistically somewhat similar.

From the things I've listened to Monder always seems on the verge of a Fripp-style freakout, which is very interesting to me.

User Info Menu

Ben Monder=mind bender

User Info Menu

Listening to Flux now...

I like music that makes you wonder where it's going.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Ben Fan Club! Look around -- lots of other posts on him.

I've posted before that I'm a huge fan of his side-man work, so look around! If you can see him live -- do it! Amazing player, wry sense of humor.

User Info Menu

He is definitely an intellectual player. That song Hydra--wow--I could spend years deconstructing that one.

Re' another thread--he's a very good comper as well. Really enhances the records he's on in a supporting role.

User Info Menu

I like his chordal work and hearing him talk about guitar. Not a big fan of his single note playing which is odd because one's chordal playing and single are reflections of each other. His talking about guitar reminds me of some of what Lage Lund talks about with taking an interesting voicing then working the voicing thru its inversion in a scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I like his chordal work and hearing him talk about guitar. Not a big fan of his single note playing which is odd because one's chordal playing and single are reflections of each other. His talking about guitar reminds me of some of what Lage Lund talks about with taking an interesting voicing then working the voicing thru its inversion in a scale.
    I actually generally agree with this, but I've found some examples of his single note playing that I like. If you ever get a chance, check out his playing on Bill McHenry's Rest Stop. Some great comping and some more melodic soloing from Monder.

User Info Menu

I have a friend who is friends with him. He hadn't heard from him in a while -- he said he's like a hermit. Called him up and asked what he's been up to. He said he'd been practicing 12 hours a day. He sounded like he was far away. Like he hadn't talked to anyone in forever. . And he said, "You know what? I think I've got to do this everyday"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I have a friend who is friends with him. He hadn't heard from him in a while -- he said he's like a hermit. Called him up and asked what he's been up to. He said he'd been practicing 12 hours a day. He sounded like he was far away. Like he hadn't talked to anyone in forever. . And he said, "You know what? I think I've got to do this everyday"
    yeah I believe that. my teacher who met him told me at one time he was doing 16 hours a day. when you listen to him, it shows.

User Info Menu

He's an intense dude... musically and in person. Very nice though.

One of the 1st shows I went to see after moving to NYC was Monder playing a duo with this really wonderful female vocalist. She had the softest, sweetest voice. It was such an incredible dichotomy. They did a lot of standards. And she was singing this really sweet, diatonic, down the center phrasing with great time... and he was just all over the place. You could hear that he was 'playing the changes' but I'd never seen anyone play changes like that. It was intense.

There were only about 6 people in the room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    He's an intense dude... musically and in person. Very nice though.

One of the 1st shows I went to see after moving to NYC was Monder playing a duo with this really wonderful female vocalist. She had the softest, sweetest voice. It was such an incredible dichotomy. They did a lot of standards. And she was singing this really sweet, diatonic, down the center phrasing with great time... and he was just all over the place. You could hear that he was 'playing the changes' but I'd never seen anyone play changes like that. It was intense.

There were only about 6 people in the room.
    Do you remember if it was Gretchen Parlato, per chance?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hupia
    Do you remember if it was Gretchen Parlato, per chance?
    No, it wasn't. I can't remember her name now. We hung out for a while after the show and talked, and we connected on Facebook and stayed in touch for a while. But it was years ago. So I'm drawing a blank on her name now. But it wasn't Gretchen. She was less nasally and midrangey (not meant as a diss... Gretchen is incredible). Her voice was a little more tender and old-school.

User Info Menu

No, it wasn't. I can't remember her name now. We hung out for a while after the show and talked, and we connected on Facebook and stayed in touch for a while. But it was years ago. So I'm drawing a blank on her name now. But it wasn't Gretchen. She was less nasally and midrangey (not meant as a diss... Gretchen is incredible). Her voice was a little more tender and old-school.
    Ah! Thought I nailed it, haha.

Interesting to hear he's worked with multiple singers in that format, though. He wouldn't be my first thought for a duo vocal comper, but he does seem to enjoy working with voice, and he's definitely very capable at it.

User Info Menu

He used to work with a good friend of mine -- singer. They recorded a CD together. Just the two. Her name is Julia Dollison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hupia
    Ah! Thought I nailed it, haha.

Interesting to hear he's worked with multiple singers in that format, though. He wouldn't be my first thought for a duo vocal comper, but he does seem to enjoy working with voice, and he's definitely very capable at it.
    Yeah, he's an incredible accompanist. Have you ever heard his stuff with Theo Bleckmann? VERY different from how he played with the singer I saw him with that night.

These guys are amazing together. It's almost like they're accompanying each other.

User Info Menu

I had a cd of his called "right brain patrol", it was a Marc Johnson date with I believe Peter Erskine on drums, essentially Frisell's ECM trio minus Frisell. Ben is pretty freaking incredible on this cd.

User Info Menu

Yeah, he's an incredible accompanist. Have you ever heard his stuff with Theo Bleckmann? VERY different from how he played with the singer I saw him with that night.

These guys are amazing together. It's almost like they're accompanying each other.

Yeah, I love his work with Bleckmann! I generally don't seek out work with singers that much, but I really like their work together. It's a very different approach to the "singer-accompanist" format. Sounds way more democratic to me. And Bleckmann's voice sounds great in Monder's group work too, as in Hydra.

User Info Menu

Beautiful comping on this, but it is also an extremely amusing arrangement:

User Info Menu

To be honest I don't know if I would have started listening to him except for the fact he played on the last David Bowie record. He just wasn't on my radar screen. I hope that helps out his career.

He is an awesome player. I probably listened to as much fusion back in the day as anyone, and I'm generally burned out on virtuosic instrumentality for its own sake, but Monder brings a definite thoughtfulness and inventiveness to his playing I admire.

I like the vocalese stuff that Theo Bleckmann does. As you may be aware, during the musician's union strike in the 40's instrumentalists weren't allowed to play on records, and many, many artists put out records using only vocal accompanists, i.e., vocalese, including Frank Sinatra, who recorded at least 9 songs. That style was popular in the 50's and 60's as well--the Swingle Singers being an especially famous group.

Bowie did a fair amount of that stuff--The Man Who Sold the World and Warszawa for instance. And Eno's Ambient 1 and Laurie Anderson's O Superman. I have to think Bleckmann was influenced by these.

User Info Menu

just getting my ears wet with Monder...I need to hear more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Endorphins
    just getting my ears wet with Monder...I need to hear more.
    Listen to the song Hydra from the album Hydra. That'll blow your mind.