The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Sadly it appears that Glenn Frey has passed on at the age of 67.
    Eagles Founder and Guitarist Glenn Frey Dead at 67

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sad indeed ...
    So far 2016 is a bad one for showbusiness ...

User Info Menu

shocked I just watched the eagles documentary on netflix. seems like the stars are dropping like flies.

User Info Menu

"The post continued, "Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia."

Can't make sense of that. I guess people just die sometimes. My former bandleader didn't smoke, drink, do drugs, was in shape and he died of a heart attack at 48.

User Info Menu

Damn. I had no idea he was sick either----and the Eagles have had a fairly high profile in recent years. RIP.

User Info Menu

I'm grateful for the time Glenn had with us. He did a lot with it.

I was and am still an Eagles fan. Glenn was essential to their sound and success.

He had a modest but successful acting career as well.

At some point Glenn hit the gym and hard. He got his body fat % way down and put on a lot of muscle mass. And to those who've not pursued that, it takes a lot of dedication to have a chance of succeeding.

He packed a lot into his few years. He was truly extraordinary.

User Info Menu

2016 is off to a rough start for musicians, ain't it?

Lemmy, Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Pete Huttlinger passed on Friday...

User Info Menu

In all seriousness I hope that Madonna doesn't decide to do a self-fulfilling tribute to him as she did when Bowie died. For those that have bought into her talent I can't see how they wouldn't be disappointed with that horrid display of self-adulation. RIP Glen Frey.

User Info Menu

RIP. Too soon.

User Info Menu

" Follow Dean Podestá ★ @JeSuisDean
    If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as Glenn Fry".
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 01-19-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    " Follow Dean Podestá ★ @JeSuisDean
    If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as Glenn Fry".

If you're REALLY sad about the loss of the group that manage to pioneer the onset of triple digit concert ticket face value prices for stadium shows consisting solely of noatolgia and greatest hits packages, you could always hit the bottle.

Antidote ---
    Tequila Sunrise Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Gee, you're a sentimental dude... :-)

My wife basically hates the Eagles, but they were a really big party of getting me playing in high school. Guilty pleasures...

Sorry to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    If you're REALLY sad about the loss of the group that manage to pioneer the onset of triple digit concert ticket face value prices for stadium shows consisting solely of noatolgia and greatest hits packages, you could always hit the bottle.
    I am not sure that you can blame anyone but their fans for that. Personally I never liked their stuff all that much but I could tolerate it when it was new-ish. The amount of airplay that groups like Eagles have gotten since their work was somewhat fresh is astonishing (and irritating for me at least.) Quantity cannot be denied and, although I never dug it, I did see The Eagles as a somewhat genuine act.
    Last edited by lammie200; 01-19-2016 at 01:41 AM.

User Info Menu

just read the Wiki of the band..Im surprised any of them are alive..sounded more like fighting than music..it was a strange group..started out as country and then turned semi rock..very "hook" based but good radio tunes..and they had ALOT of them..they fired the one member who wrote their biggest single Hotel California..and he sued them for XX millions -- suit still ongoing..lawyers love rock bands

recently saw don Henley on Austin City Limits..doing all country except for one eagles "rock" tune

when they did one of their "final tour" tours..in LA the prices were high..the music business seemed to forget the music and the fans

User Info Menu

Music is the business. The fans turned into adversaries.

User Info Menu

Glenn Frey was an excellent businessman, which is one of the reasons the Eagles were so successful over the years. In addition to being a very good vocalist, guitarist and songwriter.

They were very talented at what they do. I wasn't a huge fan--passed on 2 opportunities to see them in Omaha recently, which I sorta regret.

But my main Eagles memory is from the summer of '79--the Long Run album had just come out, and my girlfriend at the time had bought it and we played it a lot. I will forever associate those songs with drives to the lake north of Chattanooga, and lying on the dock without a care in the world.

User Info Menu

To add insult to injury--news items also about domestic violence charges for Donald Fagen and Don McLean.

Bad, bad week for classic rock.

User Info Menu

Rip

User Info Menu

"We made the music that was the soundtrack to people's lives ..."

Paraphrasing a comment by Glenn Frey at the time of their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or something like that.

I feel the same way about the Eagles and their music as I think Doc Jeff was hinting. Always reminded me of a time when I had long hair (and more hair), driving down the highway of life in a convertible on a hot summer day with my future ahead of me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I am not sure that you can blame anyone but their fans for that. Personally I never liked their stuff all that much but I could tolerate it when it was new-ish. The amount of airplay that groups like Eagles have gotten since their work was somewhat fresh is astonishing (and irritating for me at least.) Quantity cannot be denied and, although I never dug it, I did see The Eagles as a somewhat genuine act.
    Don't argue with success.

User Info Menu

I hear Eagles tunes on the radio and TV everywhere this morning.

I was wondering. I know some of the forum people, though some may be loathe to admit it, are former rockers in another life or country music boys and girls. Would anyone be interested in recording a song or two and put in the Everything Else forum or here via YouTube or elsewhere?

It was just a thought going through my head as an old Eagles fan. I've home recorded more than a few Eagles tunes for myself. Versions of Desperado, Hotel California, Wasted Time...mostly the ballads I guess or songs that sound ok as two or more tracks.

Anyone interested? A little tribute to Glenn. Desperado, why don't you come to your senses...

I only got to see theEagles once in Boston before they really hit it big. Sitting on a gym floor. They were the opening act for Yes. Desperado was their closing song. They had the mojo. No question.

User Info Menu

I saw Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles in concert at Anaheim Stadium in 1974. I haven't put on an Eagles record in decades, but when I was 17 those cats were the meow.

Thanks for the music, Glenn.

User Info Menu

It's hard to believe no one's posted any of his music here.

This is my favorite. (It's the only Eagles song I ever learned to play and jammed on with friends.) Glenn didn't write it but I enjoy his vocal and like the guitars.

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 01-19-2016 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Very well said sir. Or at least I think so because I agree with you...

on the other hand, he was really gifted if you'll excuse the term.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is the place, but I have a true life vignette about the Eagles, or more specifically about Don Felder. So if it is permitted, I'll share it here. I live in RI, and as a teenager and college kid spent more and more time up in Boston. I played classical guitar and rock in those early days with a little fusion happening as well. For my classical sheet music and in the eternal hope to meet some cool young lady, I used to frequent Cambridge and Harvard Square, including the Harvard COOP and a cool music store a few blocks away - don't remember the name at the moment. But they were had a really deep sheet music inventory.

Anyway, I happened to be in the Harvard Coop one spring afternoon, browsing through the extensive record inventory on their large upper floor as I recall. At one point I noted this very pretty blue eyed blond going through some records. Too shy to make contact just like that, I just looked through the records too, but every now and then glanced up to see this attractive young blond. Good that I didn't do more than look, because in a few minutes up walks this tall older (than me) guy with nearly shoulder length blond hair and a slightly darker short beard, wearing a brown bomber jacket an off blonde-grey sheepskin collar, popular at the time. Dude looked cool as hell and clearly knew the blond girl I had been discretely eying. They smiled and talked going through a record or two and eventually left.

Now I was not aware of who this couple were or anything for many decades but I never forgot the encounter, though I didn't attribute any particular significance to it. Until Don Felder's autobiography of his time with the Eagles and his life before that growing up in Florida - Heaven or Hell or something like that. In the book which I've read a couple of times through, Felder recounts a period after he married his wife where they lived in Boston in the very early years of the Seventies. Felder of course was a good friend and former bandmate of Bernie Leadon, his eventual connection to the Eagles. Don was playing gigs, working in a studio, and had various day jobs, while his wife worked with Harvard, which has offices in the COOP. Not to recount the story which many of you already know but Don and his wife went backstage before an Eagles gig invited by Bernie and met Don Henley and the rest of the band, playing guitar before the concert. Bernie ultimately convinced Don and his wife to move to LA to further his career and Don ended up being asked to join the Eagles.

Sorry for the long winded story, but it was when I read the autobiography of that period and saw photos of Don and his first wife (not many in the book) as well as of Don at the wheel driving out to California wearing....the brown bomber jacket. It all 'clicked'.

So no real one on one contact with the Eagles. Only time I saw was in Boston around '72 or '73 before Don joined the band. But the photos of them back then and the jacket plus Don's recounting of their life at the time clinched it.

My brush with the Immortal...from a distance and as usual over a girl.