The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

This just came up on my Facebook feed:

https://truefire.com/pat-martino/nature-of-guitar/c1002

Last edited by David B; 01-13-2016 at 06:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great!!!! But the price... I hope the time when dolar - zloty exchange rate was 1 - 2 will come back... nvm
    79$ is the price including a 25 % discount?
    EDIT: I've got the answer - no.

User Info Menu

Pat is a master player but I'm not at all sure getting this would be the right thing for me now.

User Info Menu

Hmmm. Pretty far from Les Paul sitting in the day at the movies with a flashlight that he turned on every time Gene Autry played a C chord.

User Info Menu

Question is, will anyone be able to really understand his approach?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Question is, will anyone be able to really understand his approach?
    I'm sure some will. I had a teacher who had studied with Pat. He (the teacher) told me some of what Pat told him about the I-Ching and I remember thinking, "I don't want to understand the guitar in terms of something else---I want to be able to play the guitar well!" Pat obviously plays well. But some of his talk about playing I find confusing rather than clarifying. "Different strokes" and all that.

User Info Menu

Lol, I hear you Mark.

There's a certain importance in "being able to play the damn thing in the first place" that's important before you go reinventing the wheel.

User Info Menu

I think most players will be very confused but he may well reach someone for whom his way of looking at the instrument turns on that imaginary floating lightbulb over their head.

User Info Menu

I'm not at all sure this course would be helpful for me, but I have coincidentally been getting into Pat's playing recently. For the first few years of my jazz journey, I wasn't really feeling him. He is such a torrent of ideas that I had to get my ears and jazz familiarity more up to speed before I could even appreciate him. Now I really dig it!

User Info Menu

I have to wonder if the Truefire slow speed feature will be slow enough to follow what he's doing. I have to wonder if that initial video was representative of the speed he uses for teaching.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Pat obviously plays well.
    New Pat Martino Truefire course - 'Nature of Guitar'-award-understatement-1-jpg

User Info Menu

I find him frightening, overwhelming, stunningly brilliant, all at the same time. I can well imagine studying everything he puts out, instruction-wise, and still not being able to play anything remotely on the same planet as him. But that doesn't put me off enjoying listening to him. I don't have much spare cash right now, but might get this in the future, just to sit and laugh at the gulf between us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    ... I remember thinking, "I don't want to understand the guitar in terms of something else---I want to be able to play the guitar well!" Pat obviously plays well. But some of his talk about playing I find confusing rather than clarifying. "Different strokes" and all that.
    For me, at least, transcribing Pat is the key to understanding his playing - more so than listening to his verbal descriptions.

But, I suppose that's true of every player.

User Info Menu

Wow.

Pat has recorded many of my favorite Jazz songs. In my Jazz listening, he provides a change of pace that gives me a thrill. I never tire of going back to his songs that I prefer. Sometimes, those that I did not like initially grow on me and he pulls me into his fusion-style songs.

I wish him luck with this course and no doubt will get it one day - when I am ready for it. My hands are full right now.

User Info Menu

I'll definitely get this one, not so much because I want to understand his approach (tried this before - failed) but because he's such a master and just watching him is a feast.
    I have been playing for so long now that changing my approach from the ground doesn't make any sense to me. But there will definitely be many things to incorporate in my playing and that will certainly be worth the price of admission.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead
    I'll definitely get this one, not so much because I want to understand his approach (tried this before - failed) but because he's such a master and just watching him is a feast.
    I have been playing for so long now that changing my approach from the ground doesn't make any sense to me. But there will definitely be many things to incorporate in my playing and that will certainly be worth the price of admission.
    I am with you. At this point in my life, I just don't take to metaphysical parallels of the guitar to life. But there is nothing wrong with doing it. I am sure there are probably many interesting hidden parallels in life that I am failing to detect - probably to my detriment - but hey, I am content.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I think most players will be very confused but he may well reach someone for whom his way of looking at the instrument turns on that imaginary floating lightbulb over their head.

Pat was teaching at GIT when I went there and his classes more like seminars were very much like his videos, Pat's and his Zen like delivery and geometric views of music and guitar. Then Q&A would come and if you asked the wrong question then he'd become the Drill Sargent from hell verbally bitch-slapping you for not getting it. Luckily for me my "wrong question" was in a one-on-one session with him so only I knew about it. BUT in Pat's defense this was right before his brain aneurysm was diagnosed and he was having crazy mood swings. I heard at his GIT farewell dinner with staff he turned on everyone and ripped them a new one. So that brain aneurysm really did a number on him that even he wasn't aware of.

User Info Menu

So AlsoRan, do you not think there are parallels between playing the guitar and life?

User Info Menu

1) I think sometimes true geniuses are a little different. But that's part of what made him a genius in the first place.

2) that part where he's talking about the guitar having parallels to some metaphysical blah blah blah that part I can do without. It just doesn't do anything for me but if it does for him, to each his own.

3) on the other hand the part where he is actually talking about the stuff that relates to actuallyplaying the guitar sounds interesting to me actually. Like the different phrases he was talking about etc. I've actually already learned a lot from him so that definitely looks interesting.

5) What I'd also love him to do is put a synth pickup on his guitar that picks up each string individually. Then feed that into a laptop at some gigs so it puts out the EXACT fingerings he's using. Wow if he sold some books/DVD's of that I bet they'd fly off the shelves.

Hey Pat you ever come in here and read this stuff?

User Info Menu

Doc,

I gathered that from reading his book, they are a lot of things he did and said that he would take back. His brain problems were serious indeed. I got the feeling that they often turned him into a person that he did not want to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    So AlsoRan, do you not think there are parallels between playing the guitar and life?
    Good question. I think it all goes together. There are parallels everywhere you look.

I have been a "thinker" for most of my life, and at this point, I am just tired of spending my time "connecting the dots" of life. I just want to be able to play the guitar the way I want to, and I don't want to make it anymore than it is. Fun things you don't think about much, you just "do."

These days, I can take just so much philosophy, especially since it is force upon us with all these streams of information coming at us 24/7. The guitar is a safe bit of fun that allows me to explore emotions without having to worry about someone using them to manipulate me to buy their product, join their church, donate to their cause, join their political party, have a discussion disparaging some group of people that I don't understand, etc....

Also, I like to explore philosophical thoughts with people. In my experience, most are not open to changing their opinions about things. They believe what they say is the one and only truth.

I understand the fact that I am a part of this universe. But, what I am doing works for me, and I don't have to screw anybody over to have what I want and need. So I am content and want to stay this way as long as I can before the "Ravager's of time" take it all away.

(Ha, Ha, you got me back up on my own soapbox! Sorry)
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 01-16-2016 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Doc,

I gathered that from reading his book, they are a lot of things he did and said that he would take back. His brain problems were serious indeed. I got the feeling that they often turned him into a person that he did not want to be.
    That's why I add to my story that his brain aneurysm wasn't known about at the time. I read the book felt he left a lot out of it at least from stories I've been told and heard by people who were around him.

I find it interesting he's had to relearn everything including guitar after the surgery and its like he getting back to his deep geometric and symmetrical thinking again. Must be so strange like someone hit rewind on your life and you had replay it to recover your memories and knowledge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    That's why I add to my story that his brain aneurysm wasn't known about at the time. I read the book felt he left a lot out of it at least from stories I've been told and heard by people who were around him.

I find it interesting he's had to relearn everything including guitar after the surgery and its like he getting back to his deep geometric and symmetrical thinking again. Must be so strange like someone hit rewind on your life and you had replay it to recover your memories and knowledge.
    I can just imagine the events that might have occurred, Doc. I hope that both he, and whomever he may have had run-ins with, are all in a good place now. In reading his book, I noticed some subjects were not talked about in-depth, and left many questions. I just assumed this was by design and he did not want to "go there" again, or reveal everything to the world in writing. I don't blame him.

It was a very fascinating read.

User Info Menu

For the just-curious ones, TrueFire just put some (10) videos (just fragments but for maybe 40 min long in total).

Very... interesting. And great to hear him !

User Info Menu

I got the download yesterday and have watched a handful of the videos it's one of the longest TF courses I've seen. I you are familiar with Pat's old DVD this is rooted in the same thoughts. It is nice to have pdf's to support each piece. Pat notes that he is a self-taught guitarist and a lot of this is based of how a child teaches themselves something looking trying to move a shape around, and disvovering where shapes need to change for the strings.

TF videos are always filmed great and have the ability to slow down, that is nice because every now and then Pat start's playing some of his classic lines as related to what he just talked about. So can really see how he played some of these things. The other thing is it's Pat and he Benedetto guitar clean and clear and that guitar sounds incredible with those heavy strings and Pat's playing. Made me want to order a Benedetto, but then I remembered what they cost and now trying to think how to make one of my guitar sound like that.

Seeing the video age is catching up with Pat he's looking very thin and he was thin to start with. A couple times he'll flub grabbing a note or chord another sign of he's getting up in years. So good to hear a living legend talk about his view point of guitar, glad I got the class.