The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Those who are familiar with me will have noticed that I drift in and out of the jazz world. Classical guys know me for drifting in out of the classical guitar world. And lute players...You get the picture. I can't help it, and have stopped trying. So...

Quite a number of years ago, over a decade, I was in touch with the late and great Ralph Patt. I enthused about Charlie Christian, especially his Solo Flight. Ralph asked for my address, saying he wanted to send me something. I couldn't believe what arrived: all the orchestral and solo guitar parts for Solo Flight "as played by the Benny Goodman Orchestra"!

I thanked him profusely, but soon discovered it was too hard for me at the time, and shelved it. Not long afterwards I drifted into the lute world, where I stayed for quite some time.

Today I was looking for a lost book, and came across the folder with the Solo Flight parts. There is no publisher's stamp anywhere. I have lost the correspondence from Ralph, so I don't know if these are his own transcribed parts. There are a lot of pages here. It looks like it was typeset using Sibelius.

The question is: What to do with the score?

If it was published, then I will do no more.

If it wasn't published, then I'd be happy to share it with other interested players. However, I'm not going to photocopy and mail out to anyone across the globe - that could be costly and time consuming. I could scan the parts into a pdf for each instrument, and house them on my website for free.

But before doing anything, I should perhaps contact his family. If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know privately.

Your thoughts, please...

EDIT: PARTS NOW ONLINE: http://robmackillop.net/guitar/jazz/charlie-christian/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 12-21-2015 at 06:15 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quite a trove of goodness!
    I can't answer your questions but will stay tuned to the ensuing discussion.

User Info Menu

Try using the e-mail link on ralphpatt.com and see if anything happens...

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Please pursue. The orchestra I'm in would definitely play these charts if made available.

User Info Menu

Good. I've been busy with family and student commitments since posting, and, considering the time of year, might wait until the first week of January before pursuing it further.

Any updates will be posted here.

Rob

User Info Menu

Just in case you want to strum along to the original recording...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I play in a Swing big band that has had a steady gig for the whole summer that has lasted 35 years. They're always looking for guitar features for me, but it usually amounts to charts where they give me a piano feature.

Something like Solo Flight by BG and CC would be perfect for that gig.

User Info Menu

Contacting the family sounds like a fine idea but I tried the email link at the <ralphpatt.com> website, to thank them for keeping the Vanilla Changes material up and available, and my email was bounced back. Hope you have better luck and if you do, let me/us know! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Mine got bounced as well. I'm tempted to just put these on my website until asked to remove them. What do you think?

User Info Menu

His website says he was born in 1929 and "currently" lives in Oregon. Sadly, there is an obit online for a Ralph Patt from Oregon 1929-2009. And this Wiki says 2010.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Patt
    Last edited by rpguitar; 12-20-2015 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

The Edinburgh chambers street, jazz bar big band would no doubt be very interested- the leader is always looking to expand the already enormous pad!

User Info Menu

I'd love to have a pdf, both for my own study and to try with an amateur big band.

User Info Menu

OK, I've placed the parts on my website. Enjoy...

Charlie Christian | Rob MacKillop ~ Musician

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob! I'll be performing this with at least three different big bands I play with in the next few weeks.

It would be great if we had access to other pieces like this that a few of us were listing in another thread.

Some examples were:

Barry's Tune- a Gil Evans arrangement for BG

Jimmy Raney's Quintet for guitar and strings

Jim Hall's Piece for Guitar and String Quartet

Sal Salvador Big Band arrangements

Alabama Concerto for Guitar, Trumpet, Alto Sax and Bass

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob.

I think should give some credit to Jimmy Mundy, the arranger of Solo Flight and much more during the swing era and after.

User Info Menu

Done! Thanks for reminding me, Stuart.

User Info Menu

I previewed it with the big band. They loved it even though I was completely faking the solo part. I've got some work to do before I'm happy with it. I'll start with the Charlie Christian transcription, but will eventually adapt it to my own style. Thanks again for posting it.

User Info Menu

That's great, Kirk. Good to know it works. CC did two takes, and the second has many differences. He seems to be improvising more on it. But of the two takes, I prefer the first, which is what we have transcribed here. But the point is that it's not set in stone, and you can indeed play around with it. Let us know if it gets gigged.

User Info Menu

(Deleted)
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-05-2016 at 11:56 PM.

User Info Menu

That's Pratt, not Patt. Pratt died this year. Patt died in 2010.

User Info Menu

I've been working on this for the last couple of days, and can play CC's part all the way through, although under tempo.
    CC's tempo was approx. 176 bpm.
    Anyone else playing it all the way through on archtop? Sorry, solid or semi-hollows definitely don't make it on this type of music, no matter how much Deludin you've taken, and I'm not interested in positions and fingerings on anything but archies.

What positions and fingerings are you using to play it AT TEMPO? I could sight read this at a slow tempo, so I'm not interested in the way you play it at 100bpm; only 160-176bpm. You have to have solid positions and fingerings worked out to play it note for note at that tempo range.
    Any idjit could improvise on a basic progression like this, so I'm not interested in that either.