The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Emily Remler is one of my all time favourite players. Of all the transcriptions I've done, the ones I remember and enjoy playing again and again are Emily's. I found the lesson tapes mentioned above very rewarding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    she's featured in this months Vintage Guitar magazine
    Just when I let my subscription lapse!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Just when I let my subscription lapse!
    don't 'fret', you can get it @ a book store or magazine shop

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can't find any feature on Emily in the October issue of Vintage Guitar - is it an earlier issue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newzappa
    I can't find any feature on Emily in the October issue of Vintage Guitar - is it an earlier issue?

latest issue just came out for priority subscribers, it'll be in stores in a couple weeks

User Info Menu

I listened to the whole thing, all two hours. Wow! Just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Fuse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Are they still? I looked for them the other day and could not find them there, though I found a few snippets.
    It's not been available on YouTube for a couple years. I wanted to watch it again so I ordered both the bebop swing and the Latin jazz lessons on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'll always remember Emily as a fabulous latin player. I never really saw the Wes thing in her playing , but thats ok. She like most of us, was moved by his playing - and then become one of the great players of her time. But to me she really asserted herself on her own tunes like Nunca Mais, Transitions etc. Maybe it was her time touring with Tania Maria, but I loved her edgy rhythm and lyricism on those tunes.
    In the meantime all of the discussion about women in jazz, or the lot of women in the workplace in the U.S, - her short life ended in this part of the world and I cant help but feel she experienced something even more profoundly difficult dealing with the Australian attitude to women musicians. I'd like to think otherwise - just as I'd like to think we have progressed from such a deeply disappointing point in evolution...

User Info Menu

I saw Remler when she was in her early 20s at McCabe Guitar shop in So Cal, and she talked about Wes being a major influence. One could see it in her playing (E.g. use of octaves). Of course Herb Ellis was her mentor. The funny thing about that is that as she grew I found her playing to be a lot more interesting then Ellis.

I also saw her just a few months before she passed. Her playing had really matured and she was 'all over the place' (in the best way possible) as it relates to any single influence I could hear in her playing.

User Info Menu

I knew her a bit back in Brooklyn. She came over to play at my friend's house, and I think we went for a walk. She seemed nice enough, and it's very sad what happened.

And, yes, she could play...

User Info Menu

she had a own voice. Therefore she wasn't a Wes emulator.