The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

I saw him at the same gig in Lake Oswego. I still find it unbelievable to hear so much out of guitar and drums. And what a sense of humor. Yes, I am a fan!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was intrigued by the stuff he did with Bob James (not the Bob James everyone knows), who played keyboards and flugelhorn.
    He was involved with two bands that backed Buddy up, "Three Play", and "The King James Version".

Does anyone know if either of these two groups ever recorded? I did a search on the net and couldn't find anything.

Hellow everyone. I found this unbelievable guitar player half of the year ago and always try to find any type of materials about him. If you got something (tapes, photos, lessons, video) just let me know on private message. I know he was a stepfather for a guy named Christian (I think) so if you read this message please share some Buddy Fite's legacy with us. Cheers.

User Info Menu

My dad was also a jazz guitar player in Lake Oswego and was a friend of Buddy Fite's. My dad told me that Buddy was number 11 member in the original Hells Angels. My dad passed away June 2017.

User Info Menu

Glad I happened to come across this thread. Never heard of Buddy Fite before, but I gave it a listen and totally dig his playing. And especially his tone. What a great player! I love the bright tone of his Guild, it's def. not another Gibson 'dark' sound, but so much livelier! His rhythm feel is off the hook too, love it. What can I say, I'm a fan now, thanks for the thread!

User Info Menu

Hi;
    Buddy's name just came to mind today...so in searching (and U Tube) I found this site.
    I used to see Buddy in Lake Oswego, OR @ a place they called the Beachcomber, around the early 70's I think.........I played guitar...but he was so far above my league that I didn't even know what he was doin'...or how he did it...I just knew it was great...really great.
    Now, I know what he's doin'........but I still can't do it...but I sure do appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I'm glad I downloaded the entire Tasty album that AndyV linked to on you tube before they shut it down. That had the only recorded example of his amazing approach to solo guitar. Kind of similar to Lenny Breau with the thumb pick playing the bass line.

I posted some BF things on TGP; not a single reaction. Just pearls before swine...

I played with him for a decade or so... Bob Christianson built a G9 pedal for him ultimate steel and only 33 that I know of.. Buddy and I played the shit out of that pedal all around Portland and believe me,,, he was the best by far of any one on the pedals.. He told me E9 sucks and beat the shit out of this machine.. he also told me once in his house by Hawthorne, that every note will fit,,,, then he always proved it!!!! My steel GOD!

User Info Menu

So much is not known about the mysterious Buddy!...but, he does mention himself, that he once worked in a machine shop when he was in his late teens...and, by the 80s, the Timber industry was in steep decline in SW Washington State...we do know that Buddy Fite was one of those reclusive, not so interested in publicity types, and it appears that he largely achieved his goal of being anonymous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbozer
    So much is not known about the mysterious Buddy!...but, he does mention himself, that he once worked in a machine shop when he was in his late teens...and, by the 80s, the Timber industry was in steep decline in SW Washington State...we do know that Buddy Fite was one of those reclusive, not so interested in publicity types, and it appears that he largely achieved his goal of being anonymous!
    He claimed in an interview to be of Native American heritage, and said he wanted to go through life invisible, like a fish through water.

User Info Menu

It's cool to read and listen to a guy who came up the ranks in Oregon and Washington. I just moved to Washington, so I'm really interested in all the jazz that came out of this state. I'm sure all the natural surroundings contributed to Buddy's playing, cause it's beautiful in Washington state. I mean, there's a great scene in LA, but it's got nothing on what I see outside my window.

I also like that he plays pedal steel, I love that sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    It's cool to read and listen to a guy who came up the ranks in Oregon and Washington. I just moved to Washington, so I'm really interested in all the jazz that came out of this state. I'm sure all the natural surroundings contributed to Buddy's playing, cause it's beautiful in Washington state. I mean, there's a great scene in LA, but it's got nothing on what I see outside my window.

I also like that he plays pedal steel, I love that sound!
    Yeah, but are there any recordings on which you can hear Buddy play pedal steel? He plays regular guitar on all of his recordings as leader.