The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

been listening to the recent ron miles album- circuit rider…his trumpet lead trio..with bill frisell on guitar & brian blade on drums..and while tasty and interesting, can't help but think of the great tiny bell trio…who forged similar terrain 20 years earlier!!! (and dare i say--better!!)

dave douglas on trumpet, brad shepik (shoeppach) on guitar and jim black drums

i remember on first hearing it , being floored by guitarist brad shepiks jim hall/john abercrombie informed stylings, but mixed with strong world music string influences like saz & oud…certainly cutting edge for the time..(still!)

soon after saw shepik around nyc (the knitting factory era) with his gretsch tennessean..always good…now he's a respected music scholar and teacher at nyu (among other universities)

he's made some great albums since..with paradox trio and solo..and seems genuinely underrated

so...

brad shepik-a3ad404b77afca30312518455a45caa63f189a96-jpg

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-17-2015 at 04:43 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Underrated...agreed. Fantastic guitarist and one of the most well-rounded players. Can hang with the heaviest jazz cats, world music cats, modern...everything. And a killer teacher and super nice guy to boot.

Brad lives next door to me. I took a few lessons from him when i re-started studying jazz six years ago.
    First thing he did was check out the intonation on my guitar (it's good) and burn a disc of fake books for me.

User Info Menu

That's hilarious Tommy. What a small world.

User Info Menu

very cool!!..so glad you guys know you are dealin with a monster player there!!

other great bands/recordings with him were- pachora (with chris speed) and tridruga!

brooklyn!

cheers

User Info Menu

I took some classes with him when I traveled to ny he is one of the best teachers around superb player and cool guy!

User Info Menu

update-

via shepik talk in another thread..current info

Brad Shepik Organ Trio "Top Down" Digital Album Release Concert March 28 2016 10pm at 55 Bar NYC

brad shepik-brad_shepik_organ_trio_top_down_cover_4-png

cheers

User Info Menu

Brad rocks.

User Info Menu

Brad is a Genius!

User Info Menu

If you pre-order the new album from Brad's Bandcamp store - https://bradshepik.bandcamp.com/releases - you get one of the tunes straightaway. There's also a nice video there of the trio in the studio.

User Info Menu

Just felt like bumping this thread to post some recent Brad Shepik videos!

User Info Menu

been listening to that organ trio album a lot..so good...

& had that pachora album-unn ^ on again this week too..always a fave

go brad!

cheers

User Info Menu

I think Brad is one of the best players on the scene today!

User Info Menu

Was just bumping to this a few days ago. So killin!

User Info Menu

nice session with birdseye view of brads technique..pick to fingerpicking

cheers

User Info Menu

A random bump because this forum needs more Shepik!

User Info Menu

Yeah man bump away. I have started this policy. Ebverytime I log on there are 300-500 people looking at gear and stuff. Only about 2 people have commented on Jordan's amazing CD. Someone asked on here once what is wrong with jazz. Pretty bloody obvious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Just felt like bumping this thread to post some recent Brad Shepik videos!

Cool. I like his playing a lot...very versatile, but he has a voice.

User Info Menu

shepik talk always good!!

brad is super versatile player...one of the things that i liked about him right off...his balkan influence shines!

been listening to pachora...one of his great bands...very eclectic...ast

check out this cover of david bowies man who sold the world!

cheers

User Info Menu

Yes!

brad shepik-screen-shot-2017-07-02-18-41-45-png

User Info Menu

A great recent video of Shepik with George Colligan's group, performing at the Ballard Jazz Festival this year.

User Info Menu

And a sweet pro-shot studio session with the same bassist and drummer.

(^ Probably my favourite tune of Brad's)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Was just bumping to this a few days ago. So killin!

I really like that album (thanks David B) - also the doggy, he is cute.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    A great recent video of Shepik with George Colligan's group, performing at the Ballard Jazz Festival this year.

very cool..nice to hear brad going up against a mccoy tyner inspired pianist...loose but hard...good stuff

cheers

User Info Menu

Looking forward to seeing Shepik here in London next month with Jamie Baum's septet!

(Check out the gnarly solo on a Strat!)