The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

cool!! strat power..thru a musicman 130 amp?

nice pics!!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    cool!! strat power..thru a musicman 130 amp?
    That's a partscaster Brad put together. The body and hardware came from an '80s Fernandes copy. Pickups and pickguard are a pre-wired assembly from Lindy Fralin. Roasted maple neck with oil finish from USA Custom Guitars. Locking tuners.

Pedals: Xotic RC booster (almost always on) > EHX Soul Food > EHX Freeze > Ernie Ball volume pedal > TC Flashback.

Amps were '65 reissue Deluxe Reverbs in London and Manchester. In Nottingham we borrowed a Musicman 112 RD 65 from a local musician.

User Info Menu

Set lists included

Ask Me Now (Monk)
    Blindspot (from Human Activity Suite)
    Drip (from Drip)
    Evidence (Monk)
    Episode (from Flower Starter)
    Frank (unrecorded)
    Friday (from Top Down)
    Pilgrimage (from Short Trip)
    Reve Pour Louis (from Drip)
    Take the Coltrane (Ellington)
    Temoin (from Places You Go)
    The South (from Places You Go)
    Two Door (from Lingua Franca)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    That's a partscaster Brad put together. The body and hardware came from an '80s Fernandes copy. Pickups and pickguard are a pre-wired assembly from Lindy Fralin. Roasted maple neck with oil finish from USA Custom Guitars. Locking tuners.

Pedals: Xotic RC booster (almost always on) > EHX Soul Food > EHX Freeze > Ernie Ball volume pedal > TC Flashback.

Amps were '65 reissue Deluxe Reverbs in London and Manchester. In Nottingham we borrowed a Musicman 112 RD 65 from a local musician.
    After gigs were there groups of middle aged males standing around staring at his pedal board and looking vaguely disappointed?

User Info Menu

Pedalboard? Try a carrier bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Pedalboard? Try a carrier bag.
    Brad Shepik is my spirit animal

User Info Menu

Shepik is a major part of 'Naked Lore', the new album from trumpeter Ben Holmes. It's a trumpet/guitar/percussion trio. Released last Friday, 24 April and currently riding high in the top 10 jazz chart on Bandcamp.

https://benholmes.bandcamp.com/album/naked-lore

User Info Menu

Brad Shepik's new album, as a co-leader of the trio Believers, with Sam Minaie and John Hadfield, is released on 29 through Orenda Records.

It's available for pre-order now on Bandcamp: Believers | Orenda Records
    You get one tune, 'Seven Crotales', to download immediately when you pre-order. It RIPS! Shepik getting gnarly on a Strat!

A mixture of originals from the trio, two tunes from Ralph Towner and an Armenian traditional.

Believers is a world-influenced jazz/fusion trio that brings together three musicians who have spent years performing music on the borders of jazz, fusion and world music. Guitarist Brad Shepik has performed with Paul Motian and Yuri Yunakov. Percussionist John Hadfield has toured and recorded with Nguyen Le and Kinan Azmeh. Bassist Sam Minaie has spent time in the bands of Tigran Hamasyan and Melody Gardot. Though their influences are global, their aesthetic is rooted in jazz, blues, rock and the art of improvisation. Their collective compositions are influenced by diverse musical traditions such as Balkan music, South Indian Carnatic music, and North and West African folk music.

"In late 2018 Joel Harrison invited me to perform at the Alternative Guitar Summit concert honoring Ralph Towner. Ralph’s music has had a huge influence on my playing and writing since I studied composition with him in the late 80’s while attending Cornish College of the Arts. For the concert I wanted to highlight how Ralph’s music could work in a guitar trio format since much of his music is written for solo guitar or the incredible quartet, Oregon. I had played for a few years with both John and Sam in different situations but they had yet to meet or play together. I felt they would really hit it off musically and this would be a great opportunity. We performed “The Sigh” and “Water Wheel” at the concert for Ralph on March 24, 2019. As soon as we started playing I immediately knew that I wanted to try playing our original music with this trio. Within weeks we found ourselves in the studio, recording what would become this album."
    –Brad Shepik

User Info Menu

thanks for the updates david b...makes such sense he'd be into towner!

shepiks organ trio date-top down- has been getting lotsa play here recently...great recording...

i remember when john abercrombie was set to do his first record for ecm..he was going to do a traditional organ trio date...but with jan hammer & jack dejohnette, it went elsewhere...same applies to shepiks trio...not your typical old school organ trio!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

some hard driving recent shepik...under heavy manners

cheers

User Info Menu

An extended video interview from this summer.

User Info Menu

thanks david...enjoyed that interview...took me back to the days of babkas, tiny bell trio, tridruga (yuri), pachora...the old knit...the bell cafe (down the block from the ear inn) and a quick walk to walkers!...great days

fan of samo as well...enjoyed his enthusiasm in this interview...perfect foil for low key brad

cheers

User Info Menu

if you like Brad, check out this nice interview with him:

User Info Menu

News from Brad that Chris Speed is making some out-of-print Pachora recordings available for digital purchase on Bandcamp. So far, 'Unn' and 'Ást' are up there, together with a live track from the Knitting Factory.

https://pachora.bandcamp.com
    Last edited by David B; 04-02-2021 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

good news...hard to believe those recordings are both over 20 years old!! ast is a particular fave!

nice to hear the remastered live track as well!! (tho i believe that is on the first pachora cd...cut live jan 1997)... great band...four of the ol' downtown scenes best players

cheers

User Info Menu

Brad Shepik has just released a remastered version of his 2003 album 'Drip'. With Scott Colley on bass and Tom Rainey on drums.
    Bandcamp: Drip (Remastered) | Brad Shepik Trio | Brad Shepik

User Info Menu

Cool, that's a great trio! Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Some great live footage (a full set) from Barbès in Brooklyn last week: Ben Holmes' Naked Lore, with Brad Shepik on guitar and Shane Shanahan on percussion.

User Info Menu

A heads-up that a reunited Pachora (save for Phil Donkin stepping in to sub for Skuli at short notice) are playing all this week at A-Trane in Berlin. (Jim Black has been living in Berlin for several years.)

They're on every night through Saturday. There is a ticketed live-stream for 10 Euros, which gets you a private YouTube link. Watching tonights show right now. Great to see them together, with Shepik tearing it up - is there anything with strings that he can't play?