The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

I was going to say either the Henriksen Bud or the Benedetto Carino 10.

Except now I see that the photo on the Benedetto site is dated 2013 and neither of those amps were in production then. And the proportions are wrong for the Carino, anyway.

People seem to love or hate the AER Compact 60- it's warm and fat to some ears and to others it is sterile and hi-fi.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mimi Fox used a Compact 60 during the gigs she and I did 8 or 9 years ago.

I have a Compact 60 and it is my go to urban amp. You can carry it for several blocks and play a large, noisy venue.

I do not think it is the best sounding amp out there, but it is a superb work horse and the amps that sound better are not as portable.

User Info Menu

I saw a couple today. Cost is around $1200. It looks like the amp Jack Wilkins was using. I thought it sounded awesome at the Zinc Bar. Not a big room. Nor a live room (packed with people). But, there were 4 guitars, acoustic bass and drums, so he wasn't playing quietly. As far as I could see he wasn't using anything but guitar into amp. Apparently, he was adding some reverb with the amp.

With the Comins GLC, I thought he sounded just terrific -- and I had three other great players to compare him to. I also liked Vic Juris' sound, but he was processing it.

I tried the first version of the Compact 60 in a store once and didn't care for it. But, apparently, there are two other versions. There is a Tommy Emmanuel version which may be #3 or may be a fourth one.

Anybody know the differences?

User Info Menu

I think the difference between version 1 and version 2 is the effects (version 2 has more effects) and version 3 has a different (and 4 pounds lighter) speaker.

There is also a version that is voiced for nylon strings, a battery operated version and the Tommy Emmanuel version (pretty much a Compact 60 3 with a different DI).

Versions 2 and 3 are also available with a solid oak cabinet instead of tolexed plywood. Mine is a solid oak version 2. At 18 pounds, it is terrific for gigs in the City.

Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Wilkins "sound" comes from Wilkins, no matter what the gear is.........

....chasing the wrong train........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzimprov
    Wilkins "sound" comes from Wilkins, no matter what the gear is.........

....chasing the wrong train........
    To a great extent a player's sound is what he wants to hear -- and finds a way to achieve no matter what the equipment.

That said, my experience is that the gear matters too.

So, there may not be much difference between one humbucker guitar into an amp and another, once the player has made his adjustments.

But, otoh, getting a sound like Santana's requires a Boogie or similar circuit. Knopfler's sound probably requires a single coil guitar. Metheny's old sound requires similarly complex delay processing. I've never heard anybody come close to Wes' sound with a shorter scale guitar than an L5. Etc.

I can get my sound out of any reasonably clean amp if I bring my ME80. In this case, what was so impressive is that Jack Wilkins got a huge sound out of a tiny amp. These days, I buy amps by weight -- and 14 lbs for that sound, well, it's remarkable.

I was also interested in the guitar. That's because it was capable of something that a lot of even quality instruments are not -- the upper register sounded thick. Interestingly, the best guitar I ever had for that particular quality was a Korean blowout D'Angelico EXDC. That guitar was designed by Bill Comins, afaik, the same designer who did the guitar Jack Wilkins was playing that night.

User Info Menu

I like so much of Jack's stuff and on a different day I might choose something else, but today I'm posting this......

User Info Menu

Utmost here respect for Jack. Still tearin' it up.
    Guy on the bass in too shabby either

User Info Menu

I've always liked Jack's playing. He's not much older than I am, but he's always been more dashing and a much better player. My envy is only minor.

joelf Guest
    Good to see some love for Jack. He's been great forever, with a resume to die for. He's a great guy, too. Everyone loves Jack the player and person...

User Info Menu

A big favorite of mine since I heard his first LP "Merge" in 77'. A really fine solo player as well, very musical with great technical skill. A favorite solo piece of his and one that I play...I only wish I had come up with it on my own is " My Foolish Heart". I also enjoyed the LP he did with Nancy Harrow. My Foolish Heart is not on "Merge" but on "Mexico"

Last edited by rob taft; 02-12-2020 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

His beloved L-7 with the humbucker cut in. I'd love to find that guitar for him.

User Info Menu

Amazing player and truly fine human being. I took a lesson with him a few years ago, and had more fun playing with him than anybody I’ve studied with, because he put me at ease and was so supportive and complementary. Truly grateful for that! I wish that he was much better known. I think he must be royalty in New York City, though.

User Info Menu

I agree, well said.

I'm not inside the NYC Jazz scene, just an outsider and fan, so I can only relay what I hear and see when I go see his shows. With that said, i do see young and old come up to him after to talk about how much they love him and enjoyed the show. I wish he was better known as well......he's just the best.

joelf Guest
    Jack's well-known and respected---worldwide.

Don't forget he's been around a long time, and is on many recordings besides his own that were widely distributed and praised...

User Info Menu

Jack Wilkins playing is like watching a fish practice swimming. I've seen him a bunch of times and watched many clips, so great. This clip is one of the first ones I watched and I always come back to as it just seems to be so easy for him and is such fun for me to watch. The rhythm section is young and gets encouragement from Jack. They seem thrilled. Always puts me in a good mood.

User Info Menu

Jack's got it ALL. Chops, taste, groove.

His records with Bob Brookmeyer are some of the best jazz guitar ever put on tape.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jack's got it ALL. Chops, taste, groove.

His records with Bob Brookmeyer are some of the best jazz guitar ever put on tape.
    Just looked that up and listened to "Youd be so nice to come home to".
    Lordy!

User Info Menu

One of the best jazz guitarist ever. So fluid with endless chops and tasteful phrasing.

I do have something in common with Jack, we both took lessons from Sid Margolis - but our careers took different paths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    ....watching a fish practice swimming. I've seen him a bunch of times and watched many clips, so great. This clip is one of the first ones I watched and I always come back to as it just seems to be so easy for him and is such fun for me to watch. The rhythm section is young and gets encouragement from Jack. They seem thrilled. Always puts me in a good mood.

Beautiful playing. Anyone know what kind of guitar he's playing? It's very seldom that you see a player using a guitar for jazz with a stop tailpiece instead of a trapeze tailpiece.

Doug

User Info Menu

I’m pretty sure it’s a Comins GCS-1.

User Info Menu

GCS1-ES which is the ebony fingerboard version IIRC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    One of the best jazz guitarist ever. So fluid with endless chops and tasteful phrasing.

I do have something in common with Jack, we both took lessons from Sid Margolis - but our careers took different paths.
    Yea, in the 80s when I got into jazz guitar, I purchased a Jack Wilkins album. It was OK, but I was really getting into the 'classic' guys (Wes, Tal, Barney, Joe, Jimmy, Grant, Kenny,, etc...), so I didn't really explore jazz musicians from Wilkins' generation. E.g born in 40s instead of 20s).

But Wilkins continue to grow and grow and grow; his playing moves me just as much as those I cut my teeth on. I always find something special about an artist that makes it their life passion to master their craft.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Just looked that up and listened to "Youd be so nice to come home to".
    Lordy!
    We'll make it easy . . .

I started studying with Michael Moore right about when this came out and wore through this record. Decades later it still shapes my straight-ahead playing.

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is how a quartet works in the moment to facilitate the most music. Each member of the band has completely de-coupled musical intensity from volume, utilizing the fullest dynamic range from bold to silent and creating arcs of emotional power throughout the range. Each player is constantly listening and their first question is always, "Do I really need to play at this precise moment? Would this band sound more musical if I let some other people play now?"

What a band. Michael Moore, man!

User Info Menu

Mr Wilkins is as much an excellent supportive human being as he is an accomplished guitarist. I have had much concern for him being in NYC during this crisis.