The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Posts 526 to 550 of 554

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oväder
    Good ol' Pasquale and his L7 appears from this week's Guitar Night along with Warren Vaché. EDIT: Ever since I have been watching these Guitar Night videos I have to say I am very impressed with the chops of bassist Gary Mazzaroppi!
    Frank V’s guitar night stream is consistently a highlight of my week.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The L7 is undoubtedly the best sounding box he's played. I've been listening to his monday night gigs at Mezzrow (they're all on youtube) and there's a noticeable difference in the attack and clarity on this new guitar compared to his others.

User Info Menu

Chris' Jazz Cafe just uploaded another video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Chris' Jazz Cafe just uploaded another video.

PG' solo on this is classic, as I said before. He doesn't have to resort to overdoing the Chuck Wayne style of picking, because the tempo isn't as fast as "Apache" was.
    You simply cannot play a better jazz solo than this. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

that picking technique looks so effortless, it almost makes one think they can easily play those fast passages.
    nope....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    PG' solo on this is classic, as I said before. He doesn't have to resort to overdoing the Chuck Wayne style of picking, because the tempo isn't as fast as "Apache" was.
    You simply cannot play a better jazz solo than this. Thanks for posting!
    Well, this is certainly one of my favourites that I’ve heard of PG’s. The time is great here, fantastic lines, loving it.

Great comping too…

PB makes a good foil… you wouldn’t want to follow that solo with more of the same even if it were possible… his playing is more exploratory while every note of PG is pure language.

As an aside it’s interesting how relaxed Pete can sound while still apparently playing 8th notes at 280. He has a way of making it sound as if he isn’t playing 8ths at 280 when he is - that’s quite hornlike.

Anyway it’s all bloody amazing. Two of the best straight-ahead players in completely different ways.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 03-30-2023 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Might have been posted before, but worth another listen,

Sounds great with the big band.....and you can tell he's there to play......

S

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Might have been posted before, but worth another listen,

Sounds great with the big band.....and you can tell he's there to play......

S
    Had never noticed the zero fret on this Trenier.....Pasquale Grasso-screen-shot-2023-04-05-15-18-17-png

S

User Info Menu

Grasso is on a new quartet album from saxophonist Chris Byars, 'Look Ahead', out today on Steeplechase. I'm listening to it now, and Grasso's recorded tone is, to my ears, markedly brighter and clearer than much of his previous output.

Pasquale Grasso-63b78deb450e69610fb733efd1f0db08-jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention this bit of information when I asked Matt Pierson in early June whether he and Grasso are still working together and any possible albums with Grasso. His response:
    No longer managing Pasquale, but still working in the studio - two more projects coming this year!

User Info Menu

Just saw this recent photo from the Festival de Jazz de Salamanca, 2023. First time I saw a pickguard on that Trenier Jazz Special which I assume aids in his need to have the controls near his fingers instead of reaching back to the tailpiece for adjustments.
    Pasquale Grasso-pasquale-grasso-festival-de-jazz-de-salamanca-2023-jpg

User Info Menu

He has multiple Trenier guitars, and has been playing this one off and on for awhile. I've seen him with it on Vignola's Guitar Night streams.

User Info Menu

A few seconds of The Grasso Brothers at Festival de Jazz de Salamanca, 2023

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    A few seconds of The Grasso Brothers at Festival de Jazz de Salamanca, 2023

such a cool venue!

User Info Menu

Hoping this is not a repost:

User Info Menu

Pasquale's brother Luigi at (probably) 11 in Dutch television. The saxophone teacher was also Pasquale's first guitar teacher. This is five years before they negab to study with Barry Harris.

User Info Menu

Last night at Birdland with Frank Vignola and Peter Bernstein.

User Info Menu

Wintermoon,

I believe I understand your point. From his touch, his piano-like delivery, to the choice of and tuning of his amplifier, Pasquale presents a unique voice. It is so different from what we’re accustomed to hearing, or expecting to hear, that to some it appears monotone and lacking in dynamics, as you’ve described.

Having listened to him in an intimate live setting, and in recorded performances such as the Birdland performance just posted, I can clearly “hear” and appreciate his unique voice.

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 09-23-2023 at 08:54 AM.

User Info Menu

AKA, I had already deleted the post because I didn't want to seem critical of him in this thread.
    Daveb and others are helping to point his fans to his performances, no need to detract from that here. I'll just say that his chops and vocabulary are inarguably excellent, his technique is pretty amazing-we should all be that fluent, I just prefer a bit more dynamic and less monotonic approach.

User Info Menu

You’re not alone in that. I have the deepest respect for Pasquale. In addition to being a true virtuoso and a walking jukebox, he has a vision which he pursuits relentlessly. Nobody plays like him. Nobody sounds like him. A true artist and a rare breed. I’m awestruck but I have to admit that I can’t listen to him for longer periods of time.

User Info Menu

It was only today I found out about this album by Svetlana in which PG definitely plays on these two tracks and possibly two more songs (Cheek To Cheek, Watch What Happens) in which he comps in the background for the latter two. Chico Pinheiro plays nylon string guitar on a few tracks as well.

User Info Menu

Trenier posted this today that PG will have of what I believe to be his fourth Trenier archtop in the near future. The photos in the link consists of non-cutaways and cutaways so I have no idea what specific guitar in progress belongs to Grasso.
    A studio chock-full of work in progress, including a new design for @pasqualegrassomusic. Stay tuned for the good stuff…
    EDIT: I see that PG posted an Instagram "story" with this particular photo from Trenier's original post.
    Pasquale Grasso-pgs-new-guitar-jpg
    Last edited by Oväder; 10-06-2023 at 01:32 PM.