The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Posts 476 to 500 of 554

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Update: Looks like Pasquale is not going to be at all of the Samara Joy gigs. His gig calendar does not list the Half Moon Bay or Costa Mesa gigs, but he will be at the Berkeley Freight and Salvage with her on 9/20.
    I WhatsApped him about the Half Moon Bay and Costa Mesa dates for you. He doesn't expect to be doing them. Piano on those dates.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I still think whoever is producing his records is selling his sound short...the live clips, even just cell phone clips, sound so much better. Playing never ceases to be jaw dropping though, but some of those tones unfairly suck a lot of the energey out of his playing. Bums me out...but alas, I'm not a producer, so...

Excited to see Samara coming to town and playing an incredibly cool venue here, the Rockefeller chapel at the University of Chicago!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I WhatsApped him about the Half Moon Bay and Costa Mesa dates for you. He doesn't expect to be doing them. Piano on those dates.
    Thanks for this info. Glad I didn't yet purchase the tickets. I'm going to have to find out where Grasso is playing in the Los Angeles area as part his visit to the west coast.

User Info Menu

Anyone know the details about this recording of
    with Luca Pisani (bass) and Alberto Chiozzi (drums)? Year recorded? Intended for an album but shelved? Etc. Etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Thanks for this info. Glad I didn't yet purchase the tickets. I'm going to have to find out where Grasso is playing in the Los Angeles area as part his visit to the west coast.
    Link: Pasquale Grasso Trio | samfirst

6171 W Century Blvd #180
    Los Angeles, CA 90045

Looks like it's right by the airport.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oväder
    Anyone know the details about this recording of
    with Luca Pisani (bass) and Alberto Chiozzi (drums)? Year recorded? Intended for an album but shelved? Etc. Etc.
    I don't know about the circumstances of that recording, but it's a contrafact on Parker's 'Segment'. It's recorded with a large group as 'Turbo Shot' on Luigi Grasso's 'The Greenwich Session', which is getting a re-press on vinyl - Luigi Grasso - The Greenwich Session - Diggers Factory - and is now available as a download from The Greenwich Session. Strong Playing By Grasso | Lejazzetal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Yup, real small place..im gonna hit this show. thanks for the heads up

User Info Menu

I was just going to ask the same question.
    Now that DavidD has answered, I’ll ask a further q related to 125 usage of PG.
    I also saw a video from Paris - with his brother,
    …also he mentions his 135 in an interview on YouTube (where he is talking about intonation of the fingerboard/scale matters; superiority of his Trenner guitars, etc. — spelling?)
    I personally loved his sound on 125 in each of the three videos I could find. Then again, I do like old-fashioned jazz guitar sound - whatever that might mean to different readers(!)*

You say “he recently picked up the 125”. I thought some of the videos were several years old. Maybe I am wrong…
    Since you know him, I would love any info on his 125:
    Does he have a high set up?
    Same sort of 12 or even 14 - 52+ strings (flats?)
    As I am getting a little obsessive about my recent ES-125, I’d love any kind of info from someone who is bringing such amazing sound, articulation, varied dynamics, colours out of it. —— I know, I know …. It is NOT the instrument, but it is the musician behind it, … … …!
    Many thanks in anticipation,

*Any other ES125 recordings of his?

User Info Menu

Received Samara Joy's new CD today and Grasso is credited on eight of the ten selections.

User Info Menu

Saw Pasquale and Samara in Berkeley last night with bass and drums. Played to a full house (approx 500). Outstanding performance! Pasquale played his Jazz Special through a Fender Princeton Reverb - wonderful tone.

He said they’re playing a private date on Thursday, then the Monterey Jazz Festival this weekend.

AKA

Attached Images Attached Images Pasquale Grasso-b7374a72-1f2f-4d7a-b279-d273eb34300e-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Great pic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A full set from Birdland last night. Pasquale Grasso with Frank Vignola and bassist Gary Mazzaroppi.

User Info Menu

That was an enjoyable set. I'm glad to see that Frank is back on Radio Free Byrdland, I've missed him.

User Info Menu

Very enjoyable. Thanks!

User Info Menu

PG is back with Frank Vignola at Birdland tonight and streaming on YouTube:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about this, and was idly watching the World Series game. Fortunately, it's easy enough to start at the beginning, missing nothing.

User Info Menu

And horror of horrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Both Grasso and Vignola left their tuners on their headstocks for the show.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    And horror of horrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Both Grasso and Vignola left their tuners on their headstocks for the show.
    Demand a refund!

User Info Menu

I should. Who would pay to see someone play with tuner still attached?

User Info Menu

Funny, I didn't notice the tuners. Must have been listening to the music.

User Info Menu

Frank even used his once, retuning in the middle of the set. Pasquale's Trenier appeared to stay in tune.

User Info Menu

While he re tunes several times during the interview he uses simple harmonics tuning.

S

User Info Menu

What pickup is that on his Trenier, the one he used on Frank Vignola's guitar night tonight? Rather obviously a single-coil, but I couldn't make out the manufacturer or model, not a familiar shape to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    What pickup is that on his Trenier, the one he used on Frank Vignola's guitar night tonight? Rather obviously a single-coil, but I couldn't make out the manufacturer or model, not a familiar shape to me.
    His guitar tonight seems to be a maple top with the foil de-armond not one of the 2 in the interview I think...??

BEWARE! tuner still on Frank's.....

tonight's

S

User Info Menu

Tuner on Olli's, too. Bunch of amateurs, obviously, there can be no other explanation.

I haven't seen that pickup before. I guess I need to investigate modern DeArmonds. I'm really only familiar with the Rhythm Chief series. Not that I need another pickup, but...

I don't see that pickup anywhere on the DeArmond/Guild site. Nothing like it that I can find. It's a floater, not inset, probably mounted to the neck.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 11-10-2022 at 12:20 PM.