The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Posts 326 to 350 of 554

User Info Menu

I think I enjoy his accompaniment more than his solo playing. I always find myself withing the singer would stop so I could hear him better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any idea what strings he's using these days? On that new "When I Fall In Love" solo clip it almost sounds like roundwounds. I seem to remember seeing him live using flats....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    The two Rankin albums you mentioned are the two I have. I have found these two be very good dinner party albums. I know most of my friends (and 99% of my wife's), don't want to listen to straight ahead \ bebop jazz, but I don't wish to play music with lyrics since that can be distracting or music like The Beatles, or Sinatra even if most people like them.

But those two Rankin albums have a great grove and vibe without being too "difficult" for the everyday non-jazz listener.
    Did Ernest Ranglin become kenny rankin somewhere along the line?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Did Ernest Ranglin become kenny rankin somewhere along the line?
    I'm blaming ducking spellcheck.

User Info Menu

Whenever we talk about technique, we cannot talk about a pure technique that is completely abstracted from style. Different genres have their own demands, not just in the note selection and the rhythmic content, but even in your touch.

It's no secret that, for the most part, when jazz musicians play European classical music, it's almost never on the same level as the top-tier players in that field. Guys like Keith Jarrett come the closest, but his classical recordings were more solid than transcendent. To compare him to someone like Marc Andre-Hamelin... I mean, it's no contest in terms of classical technique.

But get someone like Marc Andre-Hamelin to try to play Keith Jarrett's jazz music, and it's just not going to sound right even if he could nail the pitches (and as great as Hamelin is, he's modest enough to admit that).

For every jazz pianist who has heard a classical virtuoso perform the same Bach and Chopin that they practiced and realized there was just a whole other level, there's also been a classical pianist who has found that just because you can blast your way through Liszt without breaking a sweat does not mean their technique is going to translate to bebop. It's just not how it works.

Thanks again for E.R.s Memories of Barber Mack it is excellent also!!! Its hard to go wrong with Ernest and Monty. I enjoy the soundtrack to the Harder They Fall by Jimmy Cliff sometimes. Its not jazz,but I think its one of the best Reggae albums ever made. Stringswinger told me about a new Wes Montgomery bio out and it is very good. I got it on Kindle from Amazon almost instantly. Im reading the E flat story of the jazz saxophone man and it seems good,too. For about 10$ I get a month of unlimited Kindle reading. I plan to burn the midnight oil as far as reading about musicians goes.All styles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMoore
    Any idea what strings he's using these days? On that new "When I Fall In Love" solo clip it almost sounds like roundwounds. I seem to remember seeing him live using flats....
    La Bella

14, 18, 27, 32, 42, 52

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info David! I appreciate all you've done to help spread the word about Pasquale. What an amazing talent!

Those are interesting gauges...especially the 3rd string 27! Do you know if they are flats or rounds or some hybrid? They usually sound like flats but on a few recent things I felt like maybe they were rounds. Obviously whatever he plays sounds amazing, just always curious when players switch (if he did).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMoore
    Thanks for the info David! I appreciate all you've done to help spread the word about Pasquale. What an amazing talent!

Those are interesting gauges...especially the 3rd string 27! Do you know if they are flats or rounds or some hybrid? They usually sound like flats but on a few recent things I felt like maybe they were rounds. Obviously whatever he plays sounds amazing, just always curious when players switch (if he did).
    Certainly when Pasquale visited here in November 2019 and I got to take a spin on his most recent Trenier, he was using roundwounds.

Our forum's own Don Oz has just completed his Masters in the US, studying with Pasquale. He tells me that Pasquale is currently experimenting with some different brands.

User Info Menu

A heads-up that Pasquale is this evening's guest on pianist Rossano Sportiello's live-stream series 'Live from the flat in Greenwich Village'. On Facebook and YouTube.

User Info Menu

Should be good, as usual. Grasso has visited the sporty pianist several times, and both can play. Obviously.

User Info Menu

Fine interview with pianist Konrad Paszkudzki (great first name!). The news is there will be a new solo five song EP*, a new trio album of Ellington tunes with guests tentatively scheduled for this August*, and plans for a Bop album with his trio possibly inspired by the Blue Note records of the 50s/60s*. He states Charlie Christian, Oscar Moore and Jimmy Raney are his top three fave guitarists.

* Edit: I did a little digging and on the newsfeed of the Sony Masterworks website states this of the upcoming recordings:

Grasso will celebrate the legacy of Duke Ellington with Pasquale Plays Duke. This forthcoming release has the musician reimagining five Duke Ellington classics on solo guitar, alongside several additional tracks recorded with longtime collaborators bassist Ari Roland and drummer Keith Balla. To be released later this year, the album will feature some of Ellington’s most-cherished masterpieces including “Sophisticated Lady,” “Prelude to a Kiss,” “It Don’t Mean a Thing” and “Cotton Tail,” with guest vocalists Sheila Jordan and Samara Joy making appearances on “Mood Indigo” and “Solitude,” respectively.

Further down the line and expected to be released early in 2022, Pasquale, Roland and Balla will join forces once again, this time to put their spin on Bebop-era tracks popularized by the likes of Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Horace Silver, Clifford Brown, and more.

Last edited by Ovader; 07-05-2021 at 02:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Whenever we talk about technique, we cannot talk about a pure technique that is completely abstracted from style. Different genres have their own demands, not just in the note selection and the rhythmic content, but even in your touch.

It's no secret that, for the most part, when jazz musicians play European classical music, it's almost never on the same level as the top-tier players in that field. Guys like Keith Jarrett come the closest, but his classical recordings were more solid than transcendent. To compare him to someone like Marc Andre-Hamelin... I mean, it's no contest in terms of classical technique.

But get someone like Marc Andre-Hamelin to try to play Keith Jarrett's jazz music, and it's just not going to sound right even if he could nail the pitches (and as great as Hamelin is, he's modest enough to admit that).

For every jazz pianist who has heard a classical virtuoso perform the same Bach and Chopin that they practiced and realized there was just a whole other level, there's also been a classical pianist who has found that just because you can blast your way through Liszt without breaking a sweat does not mean their technique is going to translate to bebop. It's just not how it works.
    I was talking about what technique is more difficult and remarkable. I was absent for some time.Now I am back and ready to prove all the things i was talkin about. As I told you, the technique of this guy looks very easy to me . I recorded this,althugh is not at 100% is almost there and is way more remarkable than anything Grasso did with a guitar, but not only him, most of the jazz "legends". I never seen a guy playing the Charlie Parker's Alto break with a classical guitar using his fingers. With the plectrum is easy, (but still not many can do it). With the classical guitar there is no one that has done that before, so I decided to make it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Feel free to take another 9 years away from the forum, as you did before. We won’t mind, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Thank you Mr. Beaumont for the tip on the Ernest Ranglin Basslines album,I really enjoyed it today. Knowing how difficult it is to make a living as a musician in a industry town especially I really dont have much good use for Trolls and Haters in Life. I vote Critic guitar players put up one of their videos under PG or whoever so we will know how CREDIBLE YOU REALLY ARE . I joined JGO to be an encourager and teacher at 65 years old. It doesnt cost anything to nice isnt there enough HATE in world already? And Ill sure be looking forward to TROLL CRITIC players OWN VIDEOS TO SHOW US HOW ITS REALLY DONE RIGHT BY YOU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ah, glad you liked it. One of my absolute favorites.

Check out Memories of Barber Mack if you haven't heard that one.
    The two Rankin albums you mentioned are the two I have. I have found these two be very good dinner party albums. I know most of my friends (and 99% of my wife's), don't want to listen to straight ahead \ bebop jazz, but I don't wish to play music with lyrics since that can be distracting or music like The Beatles, or Sinatra even if most people like them.

But those two Rankin albums have a great grove and vibe without being too "difficult" for the everyday non-jazz listener.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Apparently he’s gone now.
    Not gone anymore. So I am back now, sorry your GRasso (but also any of your "jazz legends") cant match this. Keep trying

I hope now you understand why I am not impressed about Grasso

ALthough the alto break is not 100% yet, (most likely will be in 1 week ) is close and same speed or more than parkers original one. Ths is enough to prove the real technique i was talking about when i criticized people worshiping Grasso as if he was a technical beast.

check

User Info Menu

When's the album come out?

User Info Menu

Man, you are deluded.

User Info Menu

Samara Joy's album is out today. There's vinyl, CDs and downloads on Bandcamp and streaming at all the usual spots.

Bandcamp: Samara Joy

The band is Pasquale Grasso with Ari Roland and Kenny Washington. Pasquale is really nicely recorded on this - best recorded tone of his I've heard yet I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Man, you are deluded.
    no, you are, worshiping a guy like Grasso with an average technique. He cant play alto break with fingers same speed than charlie parker on a classical guitar. If you dont value how difficult is this is your problem, not mine. I hope evrybody understands now why I said i couldnt be impressed by grasso. Is another level of technique. Funny how everybody thought i was trolling when I neglected Grasso techjnique, but nah its just another level, I know guys who can do more difficult stuff. There is no video of the alto break played in classical guitar wih fingers. I am not saying I am the only one who can do it. There are more players, but for sure, not many.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Samara Joy's album is out today. There's vinyl, CDs and downloads on Bandcamp and streaming at all the usual spots.

The band is Pasquale Grasso with Ari Roland and Kenny Washington. Pasquale is really nicely recorded on this - best recorded tone of his I've heard yet I think.

But, does he play five seconds of a Charlie Parker break with his fingers? I think not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    When's the album come out?
    It would have to be a solo album since no musicians would wish to work with the guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    But, does he play five seconds of a Charlie Parker break with his fingers? I think not.
    he has no skills to play the alto break with the fingers, something that is very easy to do, honestly is EASY

User Info Menu

It would have to be a solo album since no musicians would wish to work with the guy.
    It would be better than Grasso childish music, believe me. His technique is easy, and also his musical ideas, sounds not good for me. So note that now I am not only criticizing his easy technique but also his music it self.
    Btw am I the only one who finds that Parker alto break is not a great lick? I only learnt it cause of skills, but there are better phrases in music, way better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyguitar
    It would be better than Grasso childish music, believe me. His technique is easy, and also his musical ideas, sounds not good for me. So note that now I am not only criticizing his easy technique but also his music it self.
    Btw am I the only one who finds that Parker alto break is not a great lick? I only learnt it cause of skills, but there are better phrases in music, way better
    You should really start your own thread on the site so you can concentrate all your self aggrandizement in one place. Trying to build yourself up by criticizing an accomplished player is not a winning strategy. Really, just start a thread called “Jazzyguitar is so much better than Grasso”, or something to that effect. See how many others beside yourself contribute posts there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

This is lovely...so...musical.

User Info Menu

…perhaps the thread could be titled “Jazzyguitar would be so much better than childish Grasso (he just doesn’t feel up to proving it right now.)”