The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 554

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    I find this guy too busy and somewhat predictable, almost sounds like he's practicing scales sometimes.

It doesn't matter how many scales you know or how fast you can play, it's the choices and the style that makes the music exciting. It's 2021 and music is now played by computers that are programmed one note at a time. The beauty is in the choices and the style. To me this guy sounds like the 2021 jazz guitar answer to pro-tools- a machine that calculates every possible scale and chord inversion, then throws all of them at you immediately, without ever letting you breath and soak it in.

The stuff from France with the sax player was listenable, but in all the singer/guitar arrangements it sounds like he's not even listening to the singer, he's just putting a battering ram of notes and chords over the tune.
    Good for you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another take of 'Don't Worry 'Bout Me' with Laura Benanti.

User Info Menu

'Strike up the Band' with Rossano Sportiello.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Samara Joy, Pasquale Grasso, Neal Miner and Keith Balla. 20 November 2020.

That's Music; that's Jazz.
    Thanks for the beauty, David!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I just a notification that Samara Joy's album is released on Whirlwind Recordings on 9th July.

She's accompanied on the album by Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland and Kenny Washington.

Announcing the signing of Samara Joy for her self-titled debut album out July 9th – available on LP, CD & DL - Whirlwind Recordings

User Info Menu

Samara Joy's album is available for pre-order from today. CD, digital and limited edition vinyl.

The band is Pasquale Grasso, Ari Roland and Kenny Washington.

Bandcamp: Samara Joy | Samara Joy

User Info Menu

Pasquale is such a fantastic player with a unique approach to solo guitar. He really brings the piano keyboard to the guitar. He is quickly becoming the beacon of jazz solo and improvisation.

The Trenier guitar is a perfect match for his style of play, due in part to the pianist sonic qualities of Bryants guitars.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A performance of 'Embraceable You', released today on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Nice. Thanks for the link David. PG is such a master.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

'Just One of Those Things' from the Alex Claffy Quartet with Pasquale Grasso, Rossano Sportiello and Willie Jones III. Captured at Chris' Jazz Cafe in Philadelphia. 22 May 2021.

User Info Menu

A new solo performance uploaded today.

User Info Menu

Beautiful - thanks for posting Dave . What an incredibly talented individual. This arrangement had a classical feel to it and moved with great fluidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I really like how clearly the melody is stated, even with other lines going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Grasso is doing fine, fine work these days.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm... maybe I'm the odd man out but this doesn't move me one iota. He does leave me awestruck - for the umpteenth time - seeing his incredible technique and acknowledging his harmonic prowess - I could not listen to his playing for more than a few minutes before I'd start screaming "have Mercy" ! Once again I'm struck by my observation that so many of the current top players seem to be quite pre-occupied with making their lines as complex, harmonically and melodically challenging and as abstract as possible, as if trying to trump Lenny Tristano with every solo.... the sheer cerebral power behind these lines is immense and these guys have spent countless hours woodshedding and sweating over their exercises - maybe a few of these Young Lions should have spent a few hours in a museum instead, in a soccer bar, a Saturday in the Park or a walk through a forest.... I don't know, it's just a feeling.
    I do enjoy some of Mike Moreno's work, Ben Monder, Rosenwinkel, Lage, Lionel Loueke...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Hmmmm... maybe I'm the odd man out but this doesn't move me one iota. He does leave me awestruck - for the umpteenth time - seeing his incredible technique and acknowledging his harmonic prowess - I could not listen to his playing for more than a few minutes before I'd start screaming "have Mercy" ! Once again I'm struck by my observation that so many of the current top players seem to be quite pre-occupied with making their lines as complex, harmonically and melodically challenging and as abstract as possible, as if trying to trump Lenny Tristano with every solo.... the sheer cerebral power behind these lines is immense and these guys have spent countless hours woodshedding and sweating over their exercises - maybe a few of these Young Lions should have spent a few hours in a museum instead, in a soccer bar, a Saturday in the Park or a walk through a forest.... I don't know, it's just a feeling.
    I do enjoy some of Mike Moreno's work, Ben Monder, Rosenwinkel, Lage, Lionel Loueke...
    Hi, G,
    I couldn't have said it better than your above remarks. However, there is hope for a talented few who will undoubtedly "season" over years of performing and will develop a different, less frenetic approach to their "concept." We are not Music Machines . . . we are humans who play music as a creative way to tell the stories of our lives. And, if you run at one speed, your life is very predictable and yes, boring. But, Pasquale has the heart of an artist and I believe there is a good chance he will change with the years to a more mature style. But, for now, we can still appreciate his considerable creative talents.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, G,
    I couldn't have said it better than your above remarks. However, there is hope for a talented few who will undoubtedly "season" over years of performing and will develop a different, less frenetic approach to their "concept." We are not Music Machines . . . we are humans who play music as a creative way to tell the stories of our lives. And, if you run at one speed, your life is very predictable and yes, boring. But, Pasquale has the heart of an artist and I believe there is a good chance he will change with the years to a more mature style. But, for now, we can still appreciate his considerable creative talents.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Hey Marinero,
    I'd love to have this discussion face-2-face, there are so many different aspects to the subject that pop up in my head, really too much for the restrictions of an internet forum.
    Just this : I really can enjoy a creative talent, be it in music, architecture or literature and of course I will give any young cat the benefit of youth....
    However, when I listen to the young Bill Evans, the young Brad Mehldau, Lizz Wright on her first album, Aretha in the 60's, Carlos Santana or Chet with Mulligan (the list goes on and on) and think about how young they were then, it puts things in a different perspective for me and actually deepens my respect and admiration for their art.

User Info Menu

PG's critics remind me of all the detractors of Oscar Peterson's work who complained about his great chops as ostentatious.

Well, I think OP's career stands up on its own, and I believe that PG's will too.

User Info Menu

These last 2 clips, above, I really liked them, especially the one with band. Wow! Yeah!!!
    I liked it much more than what I remember hearing a year, or two ago.

My Band camp

User Info Menu

Grasso’ s solo playing is really taking the instrument where no one has been able to go before, and that is to capture the style of Art Tatum and Bud Powell with the type of fidelity unheard of on the guitar before. There is nothing garish about it, and while he is demonstrating incredible technique I don’t hear it as cold or robotic at all. He’s the real deal, and only likely to get better.

His playing in ensemble settings captures a different style to my ears. It’s straight bebop, again very faithful to the originators of the style but also very much with his own ideas and feel. It’s a gift to have such a master that we can hear as a current artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    This arrangement had a classical feel to it and moved with great fluidity.
    At the end he quoted a bit of Etude No. 7 by Villa-Lobos.

User Info Menu

Some incredible lines pouring out of Grasso last night in this live session with Emmet Cohen's trio last night.

User Info Menu

There has been some wonderful music coming out of Emmet's place over the past year or so.

User Info Menu

russell hall is so good.