The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 554

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader
    Hi there, the link states December 5th (Saturday) so I need to know the confirmed date.
    Damn, you're right haha. I clearly need sleep over here. The date for Pasquale is December 5th. I got it confused with the Will Vinson webinar which is on 12/3. Thanks for catching that!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On a very superficial note, I’m wondering what pickup does his Trenier sport nowadays. It’s a JS floater, but what exactly? I really like the tone he gets (of course, it kind of helps it’s Pasquale Grasso). I’m sorry if this has already been discussed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by xavierbarcelo; 11-28-2020 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    On a very superficial note, I’m wondering what pickup does his Trenier sport nowadays. It’s a JS floater, but what exactly?
    Both his Modelo Grasso and Jazz Special currently sport floating humbuckers made by Pete Biltoft of Vintage Vibes Guitars.

User Info Menu

Thank you, David! I knew that his Charlie Christian was from Peter Biltoft. Good to know that his present one comes from the same builder. Great workshop the other day, by the way! Thanks so much for making it happen!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaShigsta Guest
    Pasquale‘s ‘Glass Enclosure’ recording was the first tune that I transcribed during the first weeks of lockdown earlier this year. What a great arrangement ! It‘s interesting to compare it to the video version re: different harmonic variations.

Serendipitously, Pasquale Grasso latched on to a particular tune and the story behind it, as many around the globe are facing their own enclosures in the days of physical and social distancing. "I believe that 'Glass Enclosure' is the song that taught all pianists to understand the use of modern harmony and counterpoint in jazz. Bud wrote this while in isolation in a hotel following his release from a sanitarium. It's hard to hear this piece and not connect with this feeling, given what we've all been going through recently. On a musical level, this one presented a particular challenge on guitar, pushing the boundaries of what can be played on the instrument in terms of independence of both hands and the top and bottom strings of the instrument."

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso and Ari Roland at Mezzrow, 29 November 2020.

User Info Menu

Pasquale is playing duo with pianist Rossano Sportiello tonight. 7.pm and 8.30pm NYC. Will be streaming on the Smalls Jazz Club website, Facebook and YouTube pages.

DaShigsta Guest
    As long as Mr. Pierson won't talk him into singing and playing Italian Love Songs we are fine !

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Soon enough he is going to be playing soul and rnb

User Info Menu

Rossano Sportiello and Pasquale Grasso at Mezzrow. 3 December 2020.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    La Bella

14, 18, 27, 32, 42, 52
    David, would you happen to know Pasquale's plectrum of choice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikusan
    David, would you happen to know Pasquale's plectrum of choice?
    D'Andrea Pro Plecs.

User Info Menu

Pasquale is playing duo with pianist Rossano Sportiello tonight, Saturday 2 January. One set at 5pm NYC time. Will be streaming on the Smalls Jazz Club website, Facebook and YouTube pages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Pasquale is playing duo with pianist Rossano Sportiello tonight, Saturday 2 January. One set at 5pm NYC time. Will be streaming on the Smalls Jazz Club website, Facebook and YouTube pages.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    He's going to play solo Monk?! If I could hear anything in the world it would be him playing solo Monk.
    I was browsing (g.a.s.ing) the various guitars on Trenier's website and the section for the CALORE model includes an audio only sample with Grasso playing Monk's INTROSPECTION which may have been undiscovered by anyone seeking more of Grasso's playing.

User Info Menu

I was browsing (g.a.s.ing) the various guitars on Trenier's website and the section for the CALORE model includes an audio only sample with Grasso playing Monk's INTROSPECTION which may have been undiscovered by anyone seeking more of Grasso's playing.
    I remember playing the first Calorie at Bryant's shop - it was spectacular. Grasso 's playing truly brings out the pianistic quality of Bryants guitars.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Samara Joy, Pasquale Grasso, Neal Miner and Keith Balla. 20 November 2020.

User Info Menu

I never get tired of that song. Hoagy was a great talent, as are these musicians. I haven't hears Samara Joy, and that's my loss. I keep finding astonishing talent on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I never get tired of that song. Hoagy was a great talent, as are these musicians. I haven't hears Samara Joy, and that's my loss. I keep finding astonishing talent on YouTube.
    You can watch the full set here: Pasquale Grasso - Pasquale Grasso | Facebook

I don't believe you need a Facebook account to be able to view it.

Recorded on Friday 20 November. The set starts at the 32:30 mark.

Samara Joy won the 2019 Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal Competition. Her forthcoming album was produced by Matt Pierson (who has produced Pasquale's series of solo EPs) and features Pasquale, Ari Roland and Kenny Washington.

User Info Menu

An original composition from Pasquale, 'White Nights'.

User Info Menu

Rossano Sportiello posted this on his YT channel: "The joy of getting together and play jazz informally and without anything specifically planned."

User Info Menu

This feels so strange to my ears : the sound of the guitar and his playing evokes Johnny Smith/Billy Bauer/Jimmy Rainey, sometime in the early 50's but the crisp drums and the well defined bass sound absolutely "today" ....

User Info Menu

Rossano Sportiello posted this on his YT channel: "The joy of getting together and play jazz informally and without anything specifically planned."
    They are playing a full set today (Sunday 24th) live on Rossano’s Facebook page. 5pm EST.

User Info Menu

The 24 January episode of Rossano Sportiello's 'Live from the Flat in Greenwich Village' live-stream series is now up on his website, with an extract (a burning romp through 'Indiana') on YouTube.

FULL VIDEO: https://rossanosportiello.com/live-stream

User Info Menu

Samara Joy & Pasquale Grasso Livestream Event Feb 4th at 7pm EST. Price $25US. More details in the link.

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso and bassist Alexander Claffy join pianist Rossano Sportiello again today (Sunday 7 February) on his Facebook page: Rossano Sportiello

5pm EST / 10pm GMT