The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 554

User Info Menu

I'd wish Barry would post more of this clinic on his Ytube channel. I really enjoy both of these musicians.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Liked Barry's tone and feel on this!

User Info Menu

Anyone know if Pasquale Grasso is using flats or rounds in his new "Solo Masterpieces" album? Love his tone and of course, his playing.
    If someone even knows what brand and gauge too, that would be great.

Thanks

User Info Menu

La Bella

14, 18, 27, 32, 42, 52

User Info Menu

It would take far more than the strings to have me sound like Grasso. He is the jazz guitarist that comes closest to Art Tatum - and we all know how virtuose Tatum was.

User Info Menu

Sony Masterworks posted this today about the forthcoming 10 track album with a total of 31:14 minutes playing time due on May 15. Pre-order Pasquale Grasso's new EP "Solo Bud Powell" & watch the video for his new single "Glass Enclosure" here: https://pasqualegrasso.lnk.to/SoloBudPowell
    Last edited by Ovader; 05-02-2020 at 12:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I could not find any posts about these videos on this forum. The two videos originated from this event on December 2, 2019.
    Here are the two videos:
    Peter Bernstein and Pasquale Grasso burn brightly on a Bebop tune.
    Peter Bernstein and Pasquale Grasso play Tadd Dameron’s “On A Misty Night.”

User Info Menu

very good, interesting that many of the newer generation dont have much blues in their playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader
    ... & watch the video for his new single "Glass Enclosure" here: https://pasqualegrasso.lnk.to/SoloBudPowell
    I read this on producer Matt Pierson's FB account about this particular composition and its origin.

Six months after his release from a mental institution, Bud Powell spent all of his time locked in an East Side high-rise by his legal guardian and then manager of Birdland, Oscar Goodstein. It was there that he composed his most ambitious piece of music “Glass Enclosure.” His entrapment acted as a guarantee for performance. "They wanted to be sure he'd appear [at the club], so they took complete control of his life," Alfred Lion, of Blue Note Records, recalled years later. "One day Oscar gave me the key and I went up. There was a piano there and [Powell] played me some new things. One piece really stood out. I asked him what he called it. He looked around the apartment and said, 'Glass Enclosure.’" The song was later recorded for Blue Note in 1953 with George Duvivier on bass and Art Taylor on drums.

Serendipitously, Pasquale Grasso latched on to a particular tune and the story behind it, as many around the globe are facing their own enclosures in the days of physical and social distancing. "I believe that 'Glass Enclosure' is the song that taught all pianists to understand the use of modern harmony and counterpoint in jazz. Bud wrote this while in isolation in a hotel following his release from a sanitarium. It's hard to hear this piece and not connect with this feeling, given what we've all been going through recently. On a musical level, this one presented a particular challenge on guitar, pushing the boundaries of what can be played on the instrument in terms of independence of both hands and the top and bottom strings of the instrument."
    Last edited by Ovader; 11-11-2020 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I found out a short time ago that Sony Masterworks is planning to record a trio session in June for the next PG project. No idea who will participate and of course the recording schedule can easily change due to the current pandemic.

User Info Menu

Peter Bernstein and Pasquale Grasso just played a set together this evening at Smalls.

Video here:

Setlist and timings:
    17:47 Ray's Idea (Ray Brown)
    27:50 If I Should Lose You (Ralph Rainger/Leo Robin)
    42:45 Daahoud (Clifford Brown)
    52:47 Reflections (Thelonious Monk)
    1:02:25 Off Minor (Thelonious Monk)
    1:12:38 Con Alma (Dizzy Gillespie)
    1:21:12 Three Little Words (Harry Ruby/Bert Kalmar)
    Last edited by David B; 10-30-2020 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

He has it all: tone, technique and ideas. Master musician. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Peter Bernstein and Pasquale Grasso just played a set together this evening at Smalls.

Video here:

Look forward to checking this when I get a chance

User Info Menu

A September 2020 interview with Pasquale Grasso by Brian Pace.

User Info Menu

Interesting that Pasquale uses a footstool in the Smalls video. I guess that comes from his classical guitar background (although he is using it on his right leg).

User Info Menu

A beautiful player. A beautiful person. Cant miss.
    I love Pasquale. He respects those who came before him. He will garner the same respect long after he is gone.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

"Not that there's anything particularly good about my technique..." he says in the interview.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Interesting that Pasquale uses a footstool in the Smalls video. I guess that comes from his classical guitar background (although he is using it on his right leg).
    Hi, G,
    There is much to be said for Classical study as a preliminary or in conjunction with any style of guitar performance. The discipline, technique, and methodology give disciples a clear advantage in overall technical performance as well as introducing them to musical nuance, pacing, and a wealth of the greatest music ever written in the world. I had a long hiatus from the guitar during my "saxophone years" but when I returned, it was full throttle Classical Guitar study. Today, almost 30 years later, I see the impact its made on my reawakened Jazz/R@B playing and in total performance. Today, I consider myself a hybrid player although 100% of my paid gigs(seems a distant past since Corona) are Classical. I, also, play with a footstool ,however, it's the left leg. The interesting thing about Pasquale, for me, is that although he is a consummate musician, his playing today will continue to mature and grow with age. Kudos again to a fine musician. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Yes I started out with classical guitar lessons from age 12 to 18 and it has definitely benefited my technique for playing any style on the guitar. Also it meant that I learned to read from the start.

I still play classical, in fact I’m doing it a lot more recently.

User Info Menu

I remember the OP for this thread, "Destinytot." He was a soft-spoken but passionate and fiery soul, and was a player and a good singer. I wonder how he is doing these days? I think he got into a tussle with someone and got himself banned.

Ah well, his thread goes on and there is some great performances in it that I am still enjoying over and over.
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 11-02-2020 at 11:45 PM.

DaShigsta Guest
    Great thread !

David B, good to meet you here...

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso leading a quartet at Small's on 13 September 2020:

User Info Menu

PG was just on the Robert Colbert show accompanying a female singer I never heard of (Nina Bernani?) doing "Don't Worry 'Bout Me", live from Michael Feinstein's club, Below 54, in NYC.

She featured him playing solo guitar for one chorus, which was flawless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    PG was just on the Robert Colbert show accompanying a female singer I never heard of (Nina Bernani?) doing "Don't Worry 'Bout Me", live from Michael Feinstein's club, Below 54, in NYC.

She featured him playing solo guitar for one chorus, which was flawless.

User Info Menu

Lovely jubbly