The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Posts 501 to 525 of 554

User Info Menu

His three Treniers and pickups are:

Black 175-alike, with a slightly smaller body (15.5"). Solid top with laminated back and sides. Previously had a humbucker-sized Lollar CC. Now has an uncovered humbucker.

Model Grasso. Solid spruce top. Initially had a Biltoft floating CC pickup, then a floating Biltoft full humbucker. Now has a floating mini humbucker.

Jazz Special. Laminated flamed maple. Initially had a vintage DeArmond FHC, then a floating Biltoft full humbucker. Now has a vintage DeArmond Model 40/41.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, David.

User Info Menu

I recently spent a lot of time listening to Pasquale Grasso and Julian Lage.
    I actually had the chance to see JL in Paris in july, standing 2 meters away from him, I was blown away and still haven’t figured out what I saw that night.
    Tonight while drinking some good wine from Bordeaux, I started to dream about a duet album gathering PG and JL....could it be any better ???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EricS75
    I recently spent a lot of time listening to Pasquale Grasso and Julian Lage.
    I actually had the chance to see JL in Paris in july, standing 2 meters away from him, I was blown away and still haven’t figured out what I saw that night.
    Tonight while drinking some good wine from Bordeaux, I started to dream about a duet album gathering PG and JL....could it be any better ???
    Shades of 'Trane and Monk. I think it would be interesting.

User Info Menu

Pasquale is playing two dates in Mallorca (1 and 3 December). I’m so looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Hate to burst your bubble but knowing Pasquale this would never happen.

The man does not vibe with solid body guitars or anyone who declines to play with a bebop spirit! Lage is fantastic but too far distant from the style.

Anyway, stream the Monday night Mezzrow set people!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by classict1
    Hate to burst your bubble but knowing Pasquale this would never happen.

The man does not vibe with solid body guitars or anyone who declines to play with a bebop spirit! Lage is fantastic but too far distant from the style.

Anyway, stream the Monday night Mezzrow set people!!!
    didn't Julian just blow a great swing on CC's "7 come 11" on that very clip?..... he's played many archtops and acoustics before, I'm sure/wish/hope they could play a few tracks together.....

S

User Info Menu

A trio track from Pasquale for Christmas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    Pasquale is playing two dates in Mallorca (1 and 3 December). I’m so looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Did you catch the shows Xavier? I saw a few great sounding clips online. You got to hear Luigi Grasso too with the trio on Saturday!

User Info Menu

I did! Both of them. The first one was much more intimate, being a drum less trio with two local musicians. Very cool. He gave them a lot of room. It was fantastic! Pasquale played very musically. No show off, but honest self-expression and lots of listening to the other guys.

The second gig was pretty much the Grasso brothers, outstanding as they are. Luigi seemed to want to outplay his brother and at times he did. He’s fiery!

I was lucky enough to meet Pasquale (and Luigi, also). They are the kindest, less pretentious persons! On Thursday I mentioned to him that I attended one of his workshops (the online one you, David, organized) and he immediately said that I should bring the guitar to his next gig on Saturday. I said ‘no way, I’m a lousy guitar player’. He goes: so am I… I was in shock!!

I am VERY, VERY happy he was in Mallorca and that I got to see him and meet him!

Oh, and he was playing through a Twin reverb and his sound was a little more open than on his record, which, to be honest, I preferred.

Video of the first concert:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by xavierbarcelo; 12-05-2022 at 06:31 PM.

User Info Menu

A whole duo set with Samara Joy. It's from a livestream so the sound quality is a bit tinny, but the creativity comes through strong!

User Info Menu

A full set with Frank Vignola at Birdland, 21 December 2022.

User Info Menu

Great set. When Frank asked him for a solo number, he got that deer in the headlights look, but after he finally decided on a tune it was fine. They play together well, listening and reacting. I enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Great set. When Frank asked him for a solo number, he got that deer in the headlights look, but after he finally decided on a tune it was fine. They play together well, listening and reacting. I enjoyed it.
    That solo number (You've Changed) was amazing. What super musical and technical ability. Love watching his left hand, such reach and fluidity, pure art.

Thx for posting David

S

User Info Menu

I think his pinkie is longer than my middle finger. He made stretches that I couldn't possibly make, and my hands aren't especially small. His left hand reminds me of Howard Alden's, the way the fingers move.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I think his pinkie is longer than my middle finger. He made stretches that I couldn't possibly make, and my hands aren't especially small. His left hand reminds me of Howard Alden's, the way the fingers move.
    It (left hand ) moves like a spider! in a very good way.....or a pianist I should say, a very talented one at that.

S

User Info Menu

Pasquale is a guest on Frank V Guitar Night at Birdland

User Info Menu

He's been playing a Gibson it appears on most recent live streams. Anyone know anything about this guitar?

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso AND Sheryl Bailey both guested with Frank Vignola at last night's Guitar Night at Birdland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    He's been playing a Gibson it appears on most recent live streams. Anyone know anything about this guitar?
    He's just picked up a Gibson L7. It was a real fixer-upper (the back had almost completely separated from the body). 30th Street Guitars helped him get it into shape.

On all his guitars, he's recently taken to using a Guitarlift or similar leg rest that sticks to the back of a guitar with suction cups.

User Info Menu

Watching the video of Guitar Night, it impressed me that he gets the same tone from the L-7 as his Treniers. In particular, a ringing sustain on the high notes, not plinky, and an even volume across the fretboard.

User Info Menu

8pm Philly time tonight - Pasquale Grasso and Peter Bernstein live and streaming from Chris' Jazz Cafe.

It ought to be watchable, as their show last night was, on Chris' Jazz Cafe YouTube channel and via their website.

Chris' Jazz Cafe - YouTube

Chris' Jazz Cafe Live

User Info Menu

Good ol' Pasquale and his L7 appears from this week's Guitar Night along with Warren Vaché. EDIT: Ever since I have been watching these Guitar Night videos I have to say I am very impressed with the chops of bassist Gary Mazzaroppi!
    Last edited by Oväder; 03-24-2023 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

From earlier this month at Chris' Jazz Cafe with Peter Bernstein, a romp through Barry Harris' 'Apache' (Cherokee changes).

User Info Menu

Gary Mazzaroppi has been around a long time, and has played with many of the top names in jazz, including Tal Farlow among others. He can play.