Posts 26 to 50 of 554

User Info Menu

Another video, uploaded today:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In his teens:

destinytot Guest

destinytot Guest
    Love the spice and sauce of Dan's lines as much as the intricacy of Pasquale's - but Pasquale's double-time from 6m49... !!!
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-12-2016 at 10:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Grasso just uploaded a new video to YouTube - a burning run through Monk's 'Hackensack'. The video gives a good look at his left hand fingerings.

He is an heir to Joe Pass, a very worthy one at that! The beauty of his playing is that he just does everything so well. Phrasing, fidelity to a melody and classic jazz harmonies. Martin Taylor must chuckle when he hears this video of Pasquale.

Nice guitar sound to me. Signature.

User Info Menu

Couple of observations meant in no way to defile Pasquale's ginormous talent and technique. I just took a spin at this song playing on my classical along with Pasquale. What I say here should be heard as simply my opinion.

Apart from Pasquale being the best I ever heard at doing this song in this manner, it is doable. Though I would s-l-o-w it down about 20% with a Transcribe software or that type of thing. I should spring for it, though someone I know might squelch the deal right now. Don't misconstrue that comment. I believe that anything as articulated flawlessly at breakneck tempo can be heard and comprehended much better at a slower tempo. You can hear the artistry and subtleties of technique so much easier. Then, of course, you could take years to play it with the élan of Pasquale.

I plead ignorance - I don't know this tune. But playing along here to this jump bebop blues song in F, my impression is that Pasquale is adhering to a melody, either in his head or 'the' melody of the song impeccably harmonized in a horn like manner, all executed at a breakneck tempo. Fabulous playing. Flawless.

I'm going to have to go to the original source of this Monk tune. But to pull off what Pasquale has achieved here would seem to be masterful musicianship. And he does it on ever song. And that he and his brothers did this after some pasta and wine dinner at home blows my mind. The whole family is musical.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    He is an heir to Joe Pass, a very worthy one at that! The beauty of his playing is that he just does everything so well. Phrasing, fidelity to a melody and classic jazz harmonies. Martin Taylor must chuckle when he hears this video of Pasquale.

Nice guitar sound to me. Signature.
    For me, it's the specific 'bebop' heritage that makes Pasquale's playing so special - solo playing drawn from guitar and​ piano. Other brands exist...I think he's in a league of his own.

User Info Menu

If you haven't been following the MMC thread in the 'Players' section, Grasso recently recorded a video for www.mymusicmasterclass.com - it'll be released in a few months.

Pasquale Grasso-grassommc-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Small
    It will probably be a few months since we have so many videos in the queue right now, but it may be possible to push it out a little earlier...we'll see. He covers some great warm-ups/technical exercises, voicings, Barry Harris piano style stuff, solo playing, legato concepts and a bit more. It's gonna be cool!
    Last edited by David B; 03-15-2016 at 04:16 PM.

User Info Menu

This is getting to be so old hat. Yet another fantastic performance by Pasquale. (Yawn...) Technically unbelievably good. E un paisano, of course. Bravo, Pasquale! Like Mike said - in a league of his own. Scary good.

User Info Menu

Pasquale is an extra-ordinary musician, even by the stratospheric standards of today's young hot-housed college players.

But let's be clear:

- Parker invented these lines;

- Joe Pass copied them from Parker by ear and "on the streets" (Joe states this himself);

- Pasquale studied them with teachers in and out of college.

I am 1000% certain Parker would not be playing like this if he were 25 years old today; I'm 99% certain that Joe wouldn't either.

The question in my mind is - "what would they be doing?".

Parker was an innovator, not because he thought it was cool to be an innovator; but because this style (never before heard) was part of his chemistry - he didn't "develop" his style, unlike, say, Coltrane or Miles, whose development as artists is clear from their recorded work.

Joe Pass was not an innovator at all musically, despite his greatness as a guitarist.

And this music is obviously not innovatory either; but music doesn't have to innovate all the time, does it.

User Info Menu

A new video from Grasso, uploaded last night.
    A medley of 'Glass Enclosure' / 'Sure Thing' / I've Never Been in Love Before'

User Info Menu

Hey Grasso, your classical is showing! I just love his playing man

User Info Menu

this sort of music is great to play and it's an important aspect to learning jazz but come on, throw that conservative idealogy out the window, we don't need more wynton's around pretending like it's 1958, to me that sort of playing is gimmicky and meaningless

destinytot Guest
    Remarkable group, with Pasquale Grasso playing like a pianist. (Interesting strings the bassist uses... great sound.)

User Info Menu

I dig his way. I don't have nothing but respect for those who want to build from tradition.
    Today We can find several guitarists who claim about a departure from the past but they sound all the same.
    I heard more individuality in Grasso's playing than in those "innovators".
    He is so young and sure He will build his personality in the future, step by step. If He can play Bud Powell with a guitar he has no limits.

User Info Menu

Grasso has just been gigging in Italy and France over the last fortnight (if I hadn't been committed to another gig, I'd have travelled to see Pasquale and Luigi Grasso play in Paris on Sunday).

Here's Grasso playing 'Don't Blame Me' last Friday:

destinytot Guest
    He's amazing solo, but I find it more satisfying to hear him with a group.

User Info Menu

Hey All,

Just figured I'd let you know that Pasquale's masterclass series is finally finished and ready for primetime! I'm not going to officially announce it until Monday (on the site, social media, etc.), but I figured I'd give you all a heads-up since it was you (jazzguitar.be users in another thread) that requested I film this series after all. And thanks for the recommendation BTW . Pasquale is a monster musician, great teacher and a super cool guy. Hope you all dig it.

Part 1 - https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/p...itar-lesson-1/

Part 2 - https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/p...itar-lesson-2/

User Info Menu

Hey Adam! Thanks so much for this lesson! This is too good

Would you happen to know what sort of pick he uses?

User Info Menu

Looks like a 358 size teardrop.

Who knows what gauge.

Could be a Pro Plec , but doesn't sound like one to me......but def a 358 shape.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    Looks like a 358 size teardrop.

Who knows what gauge.

Could be a Pro Plec , but doesn't sound like one to me......but def a 358 shape.
    thanks for that! I didn't catch that in the videos but I'll go back and look more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    I was thinking of his solo performances, where I think he doesn't. In the previous video you're right he does, though!
    Sorry, but you're mistaken. He always uses a pick and fingers unless he's playing a classical guitar. Thanks for your input though.

User Info Menu

I just asked Pasquale and he told me that he used a D'Andrea Pro Plec 358 Small Round Teardrop Pick in the video.

User Info Menu

Does anybody know of any recordings or videos of Pasquale playing a rhythm changes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Small
    I just asked Pasquale and he told me that he used a D'Andrea Pro Plec 358 Small Round Teardrop Pick in the video.
    Pasquale's teacher was Agostino Di Giorgio, a student of Chuck Wayne and Chuck used that same brand/size pick.

destinytot Guest
    Bit of a gem here (pure bebop solo from 1min mark):