The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Posts 451 to 475 of 554

User Info Menu

A NIGHT IN TUNISIA has been released from the forthcoming album BE-BOP! consisting of 10 tracks to be released in June.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This guy is unreal. So inspirational. He's kind of an Art Tatum of guitar.

User Info Menu

In all honesty, I prefer the version he played at Emmet’s place. I wish he’d published this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbarcelo
    In all honesty, I prefer the version he played at Emmet’s place. I wish he’d published this one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I prefer that version too......noticed he uses a different technique compared to the earlier youtubes i've seen ....haven't read all 19 pages of this thread so maybe this has been mentioned before ....a pic and not a "classical guitar " position...also a much darker tone, (which I like for my own playing )

Ray

User Info Menu

I’ll spend the next few days listening to these multiple times, and picking my jaw off the floor.

Good god that’s some playing - by the entire band. Grasso is from another planet.

User Info Menu

Curious for the story about PG's recent use of this guitar (Gibson ES-125?) instead of his three Treniers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oväder
    Curious for the story about PG's recent use of this guitar (Gibson ES-125?) instead of his three Treniers?
    He recently picked up that ES-125 in Chicago and has played it out a couple of times. He told me it's a good sounding and feeling example, though he still prefers his Treniers.

User Info Menu

Five tunes from a recent set at Mezzrow.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing these. He just keeps getting better and better! Aside from the brilliant technique, there is a greater maturity developing in his playing. The lines are a little more melodically inventive, less like be bop licks and more his own, though very much be bop from a stylistic perspective. I noticed this development when I saw him in Milwaukee late last year, and I hear it in these clips. We are so fortunate to be able to see a genius develop right before our eyes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Five tunes from a recent set at Mezzrow.
    Yes I saw these on YT shortly after they were uploaded and love the improved sound and video quality compared to the Facebook streaming option. Too bad Grasso's Mezzrow performances are not captured on a weekly basis in this manner compared to what the club has for cameras.

User Info Menu

Pianist Rossano Sportiello's series of Facebook and YouTube live-streams continue this evening (5pm ET) with a birthday celebration. With Samara Joy, Pasquale Grasso and Neal Miner. Promises to be a swinging party!

User Info Menu

Audio only clip for I'M IN A MESS was released a few days ago from the forthcoming album BE-BOP!

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso in conversation with Jazz Guitar Today.

User Info Menu

Pasquale Grasso in conversation with Jazz Guitar Today.

One of the best 48 minutes I've ever spent. I do not exaggerate.

User Info Menu

Pasquale's new trio album 'Be-Bop!' was released yesterday. Here's a link to all the ways you can listen to it: Pasquale Grasso - Be-Bop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    One of the best 48 minutes I've ever spent. I do not exaggerate.
    What a great interview, Pasquale comes across as a really nice guy (lots of Italian charm!). And he plays some very nice stuff (unplugged).

Interesting advice he got from Peter Bernstein, that sometimes you have to adjust your amp in a way that sounds loud/ugly to you on stage, to make it sound good for the audience.

User Info Menu

Distance matters. What the audience hears is not what the player, close to the amp, hears. A recording done with a close-miked amp does not sound like what the audience would hear. It can sound wonderful, but it's not representative of what the sound 20' or so from the amp is like.

User Info Menu

Samara Joy has been signed to Verve and her forthcoming album LINGER AWHILE arrives September 16. I don't have a detailed breakdown of how many tracks Grasso performs on as he is certainly not on Can't Get Out of This Mood. He is listed on selection 10 Someone To Watch Over Me feat. Pasquale Grasso but that may suggest a vocal and guitar duet hence the feat. name check. Here is press release which states the personnel of Pasquale Grasso (guitar), Ben Paterson (piano), David Wong (double bass), and Kenny Washington (drums).

EDIT: Grasso is feat. on two other selections: Sweet Pumpkin and Linger Awhile. As mentioned perhaps those three recordings are duets and he may be performing on some more of the album as part of the backing quartet.
    Last edited by Oväder; 08-11-2022 at 07:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Audio for Sweet Pumpkin has been released today.

User Info Menu

He’s on the road around the US with Samara Joy for the next month.

Pasquale Grasso-6953647a-2002-4987-bdb0-636c0481dd37-jpeg

User Info Menu

He’s on the road around the US with Samara Joy for the next month.

Pasquale Grasso-6953647a-2002-4987-bdb0-636c0481dd37-jpeg
    Thanks for this info: I see there is a concert in Costa Mesa on 10\1. I'm getting my tickets now.

User Info Menu

Pasquale's new trio album 'Be-Bop!' was released yesterday. Here's a link to all the ways you can listen to it: Pasquale Grasso - Be-Bop!
    I heard the track "Cheryl" from this on KCSM the other day. Wow. His fluidity and wonderful ideas are stunning. I think I gotta gets me some more....!

Update: Looks like Pasquale is not going to be at all of the Samara Joy gigs. His gig calendar does not list the Half Moon Bay or Costa Mesa gigs, but he will be at the Berkeley Freight and Salvage with her on 9/20.
    Last edited by starjasmine; 08-27-2022 at 01:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks like he's doing a couple of trio dates in California without Samara Joy too.

Los Angeles on 18 September at Sam First: Pasquale Grasso Trio | samfirst

Paso Robles on 22 September at AMSTRDM Piano Lounge: 9/22/22 Pasquale Grasso Trio | LIBRETTO

User Info Menu

Pasquale is the Johnny Smith and Joe Pass of our time. His musical vocabulary and versatile experience has enabled him to branch out.

Nobody can make a guitar sound like a piano better than Pasquale. Of course , it has something to do with his Trenier guitars - which have become World renowned for that beautiful smooth / pure D’Aquisto like tone.

I was playing my Trenier Jazz electric last night through my Henriksen blu 6 - and it just doesn’t get any better…….smooth, fat and rich across the entire fingerboard- with effortless playability.

Can’t wait to get one with the floating pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A brief clip from yesterday's appearance at the Charlie Parker Jazz Festival of Grasso playing a bossa nova tune then turning it into a blues. At the moment I don't recall ever hearing him play a bossa nova piece.